Diamond Python Hibernating??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakefinda86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I just got my first snake 5 days ago, she is a 2yr old Diamond approx 5ft. I know nothing about snakes. Ever since I got her she has been curled up on the tile I have which has a heating cord under it, I set it at 22 C cos I understand she is from South Aus. A few questions, Is this the best way to heat her? And at what temp? Should I leave her alone?, as I have picking her up for a cuddle every day. Is she hibernating? Should I try feed her? I just have no idea, and I want the best for her. Thanks heaps.

Diamond Python Care

This is just one thread I found by typing in 'diamond care' into the search function in the top right hand corner of the screen. You may find some info there.
Use the search function to find more threads.

A good book to get is 'Keeping Carpet Pythons' by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green. You may be able to get it at a pet shop, or you can go on online at Herp Books

Good luck. You need to do some research, and quickly, so that your Diamond gets the best possible care from you :)
And pythons 'brumate' they don't hibernate :)

Last edited:
I would suggest to het some info from whoever you got your snake from. They should have given you some history too.

Hi guys! I just got my first snake 5 days ago, she is a 2yr old Diamond approx 5ft. I know nothing about snakes. Ever since I got her she has been curled up on the tile I have which has a heating cord under it, I set it at 22 C cos I understand she is from South Aus. A few questions, Is this the best way to heat her? And at what temp? Should I leave her alone?, as I have picking her up for a cuddle every day. Is she hibernating? Should I try feed her? I just have no idea, and I want the best for her. Thanks heaps.

Being from SA doesn't mean anything. Diamonds aren't local to SA.

You still need to provide higher temps during the day (29-30'c), but for shorter hours. Night temps needn't be lower than 15'c. Keeping temps set at 22'c is a quick way to give the animal a respiratory infection.

During winter, diamonds are trying to conserve body heat by coiling tightly. By handling her, she is forced to uncoil, and this is the quickest way to lose body heat. So yes, leave her alone for most of winter, but the occasional handle of her wont be detrimental.

No feeding at all. She will have trouble digesting meals overnight when heating is lowered. There are ways around this, but since this is your first snake, I think it's best not to try it. She'll last all winter without a feed, and not suffer for it.

Try reading Keeping and breeding Australian pythons, or there is a good care sheet on the net, search on diamond pythons

Jeez guyz how can u have snake without a knowledge?? oO Every where else than australia, diamond are kept by experienced breeders only...

Anyway, the will need a max T° between 28-30° colder part during the day can be 20-22, like this u provide her a good range of different T°, At night u can down for several degrees 20-25 maxi and cooler period 10-15° at night. For the cage they are semi arboreal so provide a large and Heigh one with hiding place and branches !!

Untile a couple of years u can feed them from once/week to 1/10 days. After will be more 1/10-15 days. SO for a 2yr old i would do 2mous- 1small rat eveyr 10 days and see how it's going.

The thing with this species is thats few real knwoledge is available, every breeder use different T°, different cooling period ...etc not like other Carpet like GTP wile u know exactly what u have to do :D

Hope my english's not too awful !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back