Dukan Diet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay that is a PERFECT example of how people should be eating. Not just as a 'diet' either, but for life :)

This is just a diet i got off one of the gym websites written by a personal trainer. i am NEVER hungry and think it is a great balanced diet. You can vary the way you cook the vegies and chicken to add variety.

Argh Jay I couldn't mate.. would get bored of that in about a day!

This diet only has a protein phase for about 6 days first as a headlong attack on the weight loss. You go protein only for 6-10 days and then do the next phase which incorporates fruit and veg, then to the next which incorporates a little fat and carb every now and again etc.

Nat, I don't think you need to lose any weight? Not from what I've seen anyway? And your liver does the detox, not your nutrionist haha.. sorry pet peeve of mine!

Jay that is a PERFECT example of how people should be eating. Not just as a 'diet' either, but for life

This is the thing Phil and you know it. I have trained for years Kyokushin, and your laziness is your down fall.
Unsustainable eating will get you nowhere, start now on the right track and train yourself how to live SUSTAINABLY.
I see you laugh at liver cleansing, but have you tried it? Livers become saturated and can't function properly when we eat and drink crap.
Sure you will probably reply with some well thought out scoff and ask for scientific proof,
but you are the proof, do it while you are young and train yourself in good habits for life. It gets harder the longer you leave it.
Three parts to a happy, healthy human. Physical, mental and spiritual. You can be too much on either one of these and not enough of the others which is unbalance.
And I don't give a #### what young brilliant uni grads say, sometimes you have to empty your cup.

Jay that is a PERFECT example of how people should be eating. Not just as a 'diet' either, but for life

This is the thing Phil and you know it. I have trained for years Kyokushin, and your laziness is your down fall.
Unsustainable eating will get you nowhere, start now on the right track and train yourself how to live SUSTAINABLY.
I see you laugh at liver cleansing, but have you tried it? Livers become saturated and can't function properly when we eat and drink crap.
Sure you will probably reply with some well thought out scoff and ask for scientific proof,
but you are the proof, do it while you are young and train yourself in good habits for life. It gets harder the longer you leave it.
Three parts to a happy, healthy human. Physical, mental and spiritual. You can be too much on either one of these and not enough of the others which is unbalance.
And I don't give a #### what young brilliant uni grads say, sometimes you have to empty your cup.

Nicely said :) I came to a similar conclusion not all that long ago, and feel so much better for the changes I have made - in diet, in my attitude, in my spiritual beliefs and actions. I'm so glad I have made the shift now, not left it 20 or 30 years (and I look a lot better for it, too ;) ).

Thanks Kristy,
In this day and age it is a lot more difficult to live harmoniously then we realize.
But old wisdom about health and happiness, beats anything new, it's been proven to work, and passed down for generations.
Sooner or later, we all have to drop back a few cogs, and get right back to basics. Prevention is better then cure!

Phil, inducing ketogenesis works for weight loss but the downside is the muscle catabolism that goes along with it. This means your basal metabolic rate will be lower when you finish the high protein phase. The only way around it is to rebuild your muscle stores with exercise when you get into the slightly less protein-centric part of the eating plan. In a nutshell, exercise and dietary adjustment go hand-in-hand when it comes to long term sustainable weight loss.

I'm personally not against the high protein diets but you need to be aware of the downsides.

Phil, inducing ketogenesis works for weight loss but the downside is the muscle catabolism that goes along with it. This means your basal metabolic rate will be lower when you finish the high protein phase. The only way around it is to rebuild your muscle stores with exercise when you get into the slightly less protein-centric part of the eating plan. In a nutshell, exercise and dietary adjustment go hand-in-hand when it comes to long term sustainable weight loss.

I'm personally not against the high protein diets but you need to be aware of the downsides.

Wouldn't it be a good idea for Phil to start doing some sort of weight training or resistance excersize while on a diet like this? IMO you'd be crazy not to with that amount of protein going into you, you'll burn extra fat :)

Really, everyone should be doing some sort of weight/resistance training - it will increase your BMR which Tsubakai mentioned. This means you will burn more calories each day than you are now, even while sitting still.

The diet does also call for an hour of brisk walking a day from what I have read, so it isn't claiming to be a miracle cure for fatties.. it has a diet/exercise plan for once you've lost the weight in order to keep it off (much like Jay's diet really). I am only going to do this diet basically for curiosity's sake and if I lose a few kgs then that is a major bonus too. I don't plan on losing 5kg and then diving back into eating crap and not doing anything. I am actually quite curious to see if this diet will work.

Cement my laziness certainly is my downfall, you've got that right. I will be doing my best to turn a new leaf with this to see if I can finally keep the weight off through exercise and god diet - the radical part of the diet is just to lose weight quick then you plateau out and maintain. As for the liver detox, I won't say anything as I can see your tolerance of me is already quite low, but I will say this - the liver has a HUGE reserve capacity it is really quite an amazing organ. You can lose up to 75% or more of your functional liver mass and still have perfect liver function, which is why I don't buy "liver detox" as livers are the organs that do the detox.

Cement my laziness certainly is my downfall, you've got that right. I will be doing my best to turn a new leaf with this to see if I can finally keep the weight off through exercise and god diet - the radical part of the diet is just to lose weight quick then you plateau out and maintain. As for the liver detox, I won't say anything as I can see your tolerance of me is already quite low, but I will say this - the liver has a HUGE reserve capacity it is really quite an amazing organ. You can lose up to 75% or more of your functional liver mass and still have perfect liver function, which is why I don't buy "liver detox" as livers are the organs that do the detox.

I think laziness is the downfall of us all in some way :p I know its mine!

I agree with you on the liver thing 100% All of the 'detox' programs I've done have always claimed to be 'supporting the liver's natural detox process.' Sounds like with the right diet, it would detox naturally.

Even without the right diet your liver will detox naturally, unless you are missing a great majority of it! Most of the detox diets you take need to be detoxed by the liver anyway haha so there is not much point there!

Yeah but if you're still eating/drinking unhealthy processed crap, wouldn't you constantly be.. erm... re-toxing it? :p

Well I dont know.

Yes but that is what the liver is designed for.. The liver is designed to be retoxed constantly and then it detoxes itself.. all foods need to be "detoxed" by the liver to some degree, it doesn't mind doing it ;)

Anyway getting off topic here.

The unfortunate thing about taking advantage of ones' liver is that you can get down to about 5% of functional mass remaining before and lodd of function is seen, but at that point you've already passed the point of reversing the damage you've already done and into management mode. Yes, the liver is designed to do all the work, so why bother detoxing? To give it a helping hand, to rejuvinate and to STOP DRINKING SO MUCH BOOZE. (Not saying that anyone here is a boozer, but in my opinion the single best thing to come of people 'detoxing' for a week or a month is that they actually give their bodies a break from all the crap, regardless of the effect of the liver. Anyway, it sure will be interesting to see how this works, what exercise regime have you got planned Phil?

I don't often give my 2 cents worth... actually... who are we kidding... I give 10 or 20 cents worth.... At least 5 or 10 times the value!

Think paleolithic diet - consider this...

Were cave men fat?

Nah uh....

Why?

Well, they didn't eat much in the way of MacDonalds and nor did they sit in front of the goggle box....

So take a leaf out of their book... Eat what they did....

Ok... so you're not going to hunt a woolly mammoth - but if it comes pre-packaged it's probably processed and therefore no good for you.

This way though you're NOT cutting something out of your diet - which in my vocabulary is silly if not dangerous... Even though the paleolithic diet would have included feast famine cycles on various meals - it always contained the required minerals and vitamins etc...

Here's what you can eat:

Fresh fruit, veges and meats... This does include chicken, beef, lamb, horse, goat, mammoth, pig... It also includes pulses, grains, cereals and nuts...

But here's what you should avoid...

ALL PROCESSED FOODS! EVERYTHING PROCESSED... yes that's beer, wine and alcohol, bottled fruit juices, bread, pasta etc etc....

Why wouldn't you do this diet?

What it gives you is the actual vitamins needed to sustain health... actual protein, actual minerals etc etc... Why get them from artificial sources?

Hell this could be the best diet that we should ALL be on!

It's sad how hard it is to find things that don't have preservatives or artificial flavours/colours etc or added salt/sugar. i simply dont have the time to make everything fresh from scratch, although i do my best. but really slim6y what you suggest isnt feasble these days!

It's sad how hard it is to find things that don't have preservatives or artificial flavours/colours etc or added salt/sugar. i simply dont have the time to make everything fresh from scratch, although i do my best. but really slim6y what you suggest isnt feasble these days!

Poowallops!

Fresh veges - ah huh... there's an entire supermarket section devoted to it...

Fresh nuts... Well.. crack a macadamia or a walnut... even peanuts (they're grown locally over the entire country)

Pulses like peas and beans you buy by the kilogram... you'd be crazy if you think these aren't available. Most don't need preparation.

Potato and kumara... taro and carrot....

Holy moly - there's so much I could run out of room....

Grains.. RICE... RiCe and glorious rIcE....

Fish, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, horse....

You can get most of these without hunting...

A little bit of cooking (same as usual) perhaps without oil if possible.... And you have an AWESOME dinner...

Rice with carrot and seared lamb....

Hell... my mouth is watering now...

Your lunch can be left overs...

Breakfast, fruits, and juice, served with eggs and beans....

I don't see it as being impossible at all.... In fact it's more feasible than the others....

Wow... I thought I was the only one alive who finds it possible to live like that. Nice work slim6y ;)

I hear what you're saying slim6y, that's what we do the majority of the time. I'm just saying it's not possible all the time because i literally run out of time, and end up resorting to using something that's been pre prepared like stock for soups or sauces for pasta dishes, or marinades for meat. I'm just saying it's frustrating that alot of those things (stocks, marinades and sauces) have a lot of artificial ingredients and added sugars and salts, which is frustrating as i don't generally have the time to make those things myself.

I certainly didn't say it was impossible! :) Almost all our meals are fresh veggies and things we made ourselves!

I am booked in to get a gastric sleeve at the end of the year my dad got it 2 years ago and lost 70kg. I am a big girl i weigh 117. When i saw the difference between the sleeve and band i went sleeve, the difference betwwen sleeve and band is sleeve is permanent nothing gets tightened and cannot be reversed and also with the sleeve you can eat whatever you want with the band you are more restricted. Medibank help covers a lot of this. I have tried multiple diets but never really succeeded this includes jenny craig and shakes. I will update you guys as i go when the time comes closer i am getting the opp on the 29th november the worst thing about this opp is 5 weeks before my opp and 2 weeks after i have to live on opti fast shakes that is the hardest part of the opp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back