Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antstep

Reaction score
IMG_0310.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

Hello!

Can a kind soul help me identify what kind of snake this is. I encountered her in South Australia near Ceduna from memory on the gateway to the Nullabor if that helps.

Much Obliged.

ant

Not sure what that is, but looks awesome. Maybe a taipan ( Inland ). It has a heaps weird pattern on which is cool.

I am inclined to say a very old Pseudonaja species due to that nasal plate, possibly pseudonaja modesta (ringed brown snake) or pseudonaja affinis (Dugite). If the latter it is on the very west of the animals known range. Either way - no touchy

Looks pretty ragged, though def has some size on it. Some sort of brown snake.

I'll put money on it being Pseudonaja inframacula. Peninsula brown, mainly based on location.

I'm with Gordo, the patterning would further support inframacula.
It looks a bit big for a ringed brown and a bit out of their range, the only other option would be nuchalis (someone with more experience keying elapids should be able to rule out or confirm western from that rostral scale, or is it a bad angle?).

Only two species occur at Ceduna... Inframaculata & nuchalis. Western Browns have a big fat nasal scale, which this doesn't have. Plus, it's not really a western brown colouring at all. Great photo!

I hate to tell you but there are records of dugites in Ceduna. We caught 8 in 2006

I don't think it's nuchalis, i don't think the strap is wide enough but thats comparing them to the gwardars we get up here. So it could be nuchalis or one of the browns that nuchalis were split into, i'm not sure of the range of aspidorychna and the colours they come in either. Or it could be a dugite... lol!

These are the threads i come online for!

I'm with Gordo, the patterning would further support inframacula.
It looks a bit big for a ringed brown and a bit out of their range, the only other option would be nuchalis (someone with more experience keying elapids should be able to rule out or confirm western from that rostral scale, or is it a bad angle?).

There are three large Pseudonaja species in Ceduna area - Pseudonaja inframacula, Pseudonaja nuchalis and Pseudonaja affinis. I've attached a photo of an animal that was captured from Ceduna I was involved with 5 odd years ago, which was originally identified as Pseudonaja inframacula, but later turned out to be Pseudonaja affinis. I would hazard a guess at saying the original photo is of P.affinis.

(Just went to find the photo, but it's on a different computer. I will upload it soon.)

Stunning snake! Looks like inframacula, is that muscle I can see on the side of its body halfway down the snake?

Last edited:
it looks like it was wet and got a bunch of dust on it... rather than it being markings.

There are three large Pseudonaja species in Ceduna area - Pseudonaja inframacula, Pseudonaja nuchalis and Pseudonaja affinis. I've attached a photo of an animal that was captured from Ceduna I was involved with 5 odd years ago, which was originally identified as Pseudonaja inframacula, but later turned out to be Pseudonaja affinis. I would hazard a guess at saying the original photo is of P.affinis.

As a South Aussie the above were all good possibilities due to the location Far West Coast but for my two cents worth my money is on Peninsular Brown - Pseudonaja Inframacula as #1 or Nuchalis a close # 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back