Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No pythons can be brought/imported into WA unfortunatly, it sux but until they change the system here we have no choice!

What type of Pythons can I buy in WA and what do I need to do for owning one. In Adelaide the first snake is registered with you then if you want more you need a License. Is it the same in WA?

No, you need a licence for ANY reptile you buy. You can buy south-western carpets, stimson's, northern olive pythons, BHPs and womas. No RSPs, no pygmy pythons, no north-western carpets, no children's, no water pythons, and no pilbara olives, even though they all occur here.

The authorities will be right onto you if you don't get the appropriate licence before acquiring any reptile.

You can bring vens in, providing they are on WA's approved keeper's list - eg southern death adders, tigers, western browns, mulgas, but you need a WA Category 5 licence to hold them. There are currently very few such licences on issue here so if you want to bring vens across, you'll need to put a strong case.

S

Here in WA you have to get a license before you can get any snake, it's an easy process but takes about a month for the form to be processed. It depends on what snake you want as to what cat license you need. WA has the strictest reptile rules in the country. We can take reps out of the state, but you can't bring them in. We are also more restricted in the type of snakes we're allowed to have here.....I'm not sure of the differences, but one I know we can't have and that's the pygmy. Changes are on the board, but I think it will be a long time coming.

Don't know too much about the other WA snakes, but this is our SW Carpet Python (Morelia Spilota Imbricata) at about 4 months old. She's quite a brightly coloured one but they can be quite dark and will grow to 2-3 metres in length.
Cleo.jpg

Because its the only carpet allowed in WA!
You could go down the line of Stimmies as there are some real rippers over there.
The licencing system in WA is quite different to any other state and you may find you will have to start off at the basic category which restricts what python you
may keep.

Thanks Squel, SA doesn't need licences to keep you first repitle just need to register you have a snake. But if you want another snake you have to get a licence.

Where could I find a breeder for the SW Carpet in Perth (WA)?

Last edited:
You will be given a list of reptile dealers when you get your license. A quick ring around should help or visit the WA pilbara pythons forum for local breeders.
There are only 4 pythons you can have, so most likely you will get a SWCP. If you have to get a cat 3 license first you have the choice of a stimi or SWCP. After having a cat 3 license for a year you can get your cat 4 and then you have the choice of two more pythons. The woma and BHP. If you can get a cat 5 you can get an olive....
Do a search on Imbricata on here and you will see how much SWCP vary in colour. Like all carpets they tend to darken with age. So you really need to gage their colour by pictures of adults rather than yearlings.

You will need to have a cat 3 animal for 12 months not just the license.

Sorry to borrow the thread, but it's kinda on topic...

A friend of mine is leaving here (SA) to go to Perth... He has a bearded dragon (most likely to be more bearded dragons before he leaves here!) - what are the requirements for him? Does he need to get his WA licence first (if beardies are allowed)? Or can a SA permit be 'transferred' to WA?

I've looked on the WA permit site - and it's very confusing (not just because I'm a South Aussie, either!), so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys, 'preciate it! :)

Best,
Carolyn

Sorry to borrow the thread, but it's kinda on topic...

A friend of mine is leaving here (SA) to go to Perth... He has a bearded dragon (most likely to be more bearded dragons before he leaves here!) - what are the requirements for him? Does he need to get his WA licence first (if beardies are allowed)? Or can a SA permit be 'transferred' to WA?

I've looked on the WA permit site - and it's very confusing (not just because I'm a South Aussie, either!), so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys, 'preciate it! :)

Best,
Carolyn

Unless the beardie is one of the WA sub species it will not be allowed in to WA

Cause unfortunately I'm not ready to retire yet and thats all Adelaide is good for. Money is crap and so is the infrastructure. I could go on for ever why I'm leaving Adelaide.

Adelaide to Perth... from one of the best states regulation wise... to one of the worst in the world!

Sheesh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back