Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww that sucks, hope he gets a fine for killing one of Ozzies greatly coloured snakes IMO

throw a brown snake in an open window.. give him something to boast about

That sux mate, I hope that the EPA takes sereous action against this bloke.
If that was any of my collection that guy would be in some sereous predicaments.

@ PaulH get over yourself thats sereously childish. Lol judging from your avitar theres another cowboy on APS.

I agree, very childish - its not like it was going to eat all the cats and dogs etc around the neighbourhood....its just not possible...and you know it....

What about the neighbourhood pets you put at risk by losing your snake? They should fine you.

agree 100% its human nature to want to remove or in this case kill something that could endanger the family... yer it sucks that it was a pet.
you can put a hat and glitter on it doesn't stop it being a snake.

and yes i beleive you should get into trouble not the person that killed the snake, you forgot to put it away properly so it comes back to being your fault.

not saying it did but what if it had of killed and eaten some of out wildlife... does that make it any better then someones cat that is left out at night and kills something?

Are you in Cairns?? Where abouts?

Very upset to hear that people can be so cruel. I certainly hope that the EPA can do something.

The funny thing is - if you're in Cairns - a BHP would be one of the least likely snakes you'd encounter - and if they've ever been to the zoo here then they'd realise they're harmless.

I guess some people aren't really cut out to be Australian.

Looking forward to seeing a favourable response from EPA.

agree 100% its human nature to want to remove or in this case kill something that could endanger the family... yer it sucks that it was a pet.
you can put a hat and glitter on it doesn't stop it being a snake.

and yes i beleive you should get into trouble not the person that killed the snake, you forgot to put it away properly so it comes back to being your fault.

not saying it did but what if it had of killed and eaten some of out wildlife... does that make it any better then someones cat that is left out at night and kills something?

are you seriously comparing a BHP to a cat?? wake up! Have you never had a snake get out of a cage???? be honest with yourself....or do you not have any snakes?

If you cant at least have some compassion ... then try to post sensibly

He probably saw your python and was ***t scared. Normal behaviour for
the general public. It's very sad but understandable.

Have you never had a snake get out of a cage????
i dont have snakes i keep geckos.
so no i have never had a snake escape or gecko.
yer it sucks that it was a pet.
theres my compassion... and how was my previous post not sensible?
are you seriously comparing a BHP to a cat
yes i am, there both natural predators and given the chance will both kill what the can. sure a snakes not as efficient as a cat... but given it is a pet snake i believe they can be compared in the same way.
people on here are always banging on about how letting cats outside is bad, well he let a snake outside.
i dont know how big the snake was but it could kill a toddler or dog... cat aint going to do that.

some of these comments are just so heartless, sorry to hear about your BHP :( i have almost lost my snake before luckily enough i came back into my room as she was out of her enclosure and on the floor...@ miglamesh..seems to me u dont have much respect for snakes? i seriously doubt the snake was trying to break through the door and attack his family..some people just get a thrill out of killing snakes as said "he was boasting about killing this BHP" show some compassion

He probably saw your python and was ***t scared. Normal behaviour for
the general public. It's very sad but understandable.

Agreed.

I do certainly feel for the owner and whilst what has occurred is quite sad, it is ultimately our responsibility as keepers of these animals to ensure that they are properly cared for and appropriately contained - both for the animal's safety (as is painfully evident in this case), as well as the safety of others. The escape of the animal was the fault of the owner, and as a direct result of that, the animal is now dead.

It is all very unfortunate, but if the owner was taking due care, the animal would not have been harmed.

I have had animals escape due to carelessness also (thankfully all were eventually recovered), but we must accept responsibility for the consequences that result from our mistakes.

some people just get a thrill out of killing snakes as said "he was boasting about killing this BHP"

..."before it bit his kids"

I know your altered version of the quote suited your argument here, but try to use good manners and quote correctly ;)

Last edited:
He didnt open the door for it to stay outside for the night.! Most people let there cats out for days at a time so your comparison becomes inferior in this situation. Pythons don't kill for fun or hunt for the thrill do they. How would u like it if the bloke down the road stomped one of your geckos because it tried to bite him when he picked it up.? I hope the neighbor gets fined. More people need to learn to respect native wildlife.!

.@ miglamesh..seems to me u dont have much respect for snakes? i seriously doubt the snake was trying to break through the door and attack his family..some people just get a thrill out of killing snakes as said "he was boasting about killing this BHP" show some compassion

i have no issue with snakes and there part of daily life in a farming community. i avoid them and hope they avoid me.
yes some people do get a thrill out of it just like pig hunting and whatnot.
some compassion seriously, a lot of people on here are very biased.
its terrible that the snake died because of the owners stupidity. but all in all its still comes down to the fact that it was the owners fault

He didnt open the door for it to stay outside for the night.! Most people let there cats out for days at a time so your comparison becomes inferior in this situation. Pythons don't kill for fun or hunt for the thrill do they. How would u like it if the bloke down the road stomped one of your geckos because it tried to bite him when he picked it up.? I hope the neighbor gets fined. More people need to learn to respect native wildlife.!
i hardly thing comparing a gecko bit to a snake bite is the same, plus my geckos are cute.

point taken cats kill for the thrill.

Last edited:
..."before it bit his kids"

exactly BEFORE he didnt kill it after it bit his kids (it was the most placid snake he/she has owned) if a dog came up to my kids(hypothetical) i wouldnt straight away kill it would i, and pretty sure a dogs bite is worst than a pythons..

what could you do? its a gecko.... i was walking and must have stood on it by accident, its the same as the snake its dead it aint coming back.

its terrible that the snake died because of the owners stupidity. but all in all its still comes down to the fact that it was the owners fault

Dude, his snake just died, show some compassion (no "yer its sad it was a pet" isnt compassion) imagine if some of your geckos got killed. You would be sad and angry at the person who did it, wouldnt you? Snakes are pets and people get attatched to pets very easily, and the loss of a pet can be heartbreaking and in this case very frustrating. It wasn't "stupid", as many including melissa have pointed out, a lot of professionals do it by accident from time to time.
I think the person who killed the snake is very cruel, as he knew that pythons are harmless. And you can't blame the OP, the snake escaped, and it was an accident, he didnt just "let it out"
You hear LOADS of threads about peoples snakes escaping, it happens sometimes, and you can't blame the owner. It was an accident and thats that. The killing, however was NOT an accident, and therefore he should be the one fined.

exactly BEFORE he didnt kill it after it bit his kids (it was the most placid snake he/she has owned) if a dog came up to my kids(hypothetical) i wouldnt straight away kill it would i, and pretty sure a dogs bite is worst than a pythons..

He had a reasonable fear that this animal could harm his children. He is within his rights to kill it if it is on his property, and he feels that it poses a danger. I do not condone this, but it is fact. What has been labeled as "boasting" by the OP and yourself, could have indeed just been innocent - if there was a large python discovered in my back yard, I'd probably mention it to the neighbours in conversation also.

Also, your example is not even close to reasonable. The general public's fear prompted by being confronted with a BHP roaming their yard (which can certainly be an intimidating sight) will quite obviously differ from the level of fear experienced when a dog is in their yard, and the subsequent reaction will understandably also differ. Surely this is just common sense?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it mate ... my house was broken into on october 3rd and my scorpions, bredli and 1 Tarantula killed in the process. the cops won't do anything, etc. I just got dirty looks as if to say "well that's what you get for owning such disgusting creatures". Again, NOT happy.

You hear LOADS of threads about peoples snakes escaping, it happens sometimes, and you can't blame the owner.

Okay mate explain to us all who's fault it is that the snake got out and who you blame..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back