firearms ownership

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remington

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls As a licensed firearms owner\and ssaa member I would like to here peoples views on gun ownership in Australia Please do not turn this in to a fight.

Last edited:
My husband has guns (and is of coursed licensed) and I hate them. We don't keep them in our house as we have young children, so they are kept at my inlaws place in their safes. I personally hate them. I can see the need for them for those who live on properties - getting rid of pests, putting animals out of their misery, etc- but even then there are other ways of doing things.

Recently though, the thing which really annoyed me, what that Abott had the balls to turn around to Gilard and have a go at her about the levy, where as he supported five - one of which was for a gun amnesty. Now while it was a good thing that people turned in their illegals, if they didn't have them in the first place there wouldn't be an issue.

Guns are weapons, deadly weapons. My cousin also shot himself, and if it wasn't for the family having a pistol at home, who knows, he could still be here today. Not necessary in my opinion, and would make the world a better place without them that's for sure.

. Guns are weapons, deadly weapons. My cousin also shot himself, and if it wasn't for the family having a pistol at home, who knows, he could still be here today. Not necessary in my opinion, and would make the world a better place without them that's for sure.

Firearms do not kill people... people kill people if they didn't have guns they would use knives there are lots more murders in Australia with knives then firearms.. All so first of the pistol in your cousins house SHOULD have been in a locket safe and if he didn't use a firearm he could have hung him self ect

"Guns don't kill people, I kill people!"

Seriously, I miss my ****nal. Kept a lot of rifles and shotguns back in the motherland but bringing them here with me was in the too hard basket! It's on my list though, to get my license here and start sport shooting again.

Knives are weapons, yet we need them, they are useful tools. As with knives, guns pose no problem so long as they are in the possession of someone who knows how to correctly use them. Children I believe can be allowed guns (When they are a suitable age) as long as they are taught the correct procedures when using firearms. My point being, most murders are committed with knives, knives are about as deadly as guns if in the hands of anyone not suitable for their use. Guns are useful tools which can be very important so long as the user is correctly educated, this I believe also applies to knives..

REMINGTON; ..."people kill people if they didn't have guns they would use knives there are lots more murders in Australia with knives then firearms." - Beat me to it.

Last edited:
Dont have a problem with lawful firearm ownership.
We as kids grew up around firearms and were taught to use and respect them from a very early age.
This is something that as parents we have passed onto our kids, We started teaching them at 5 years old onward. By doing this we have negated the whole gun taboo issue that rears its ugly head and takes away the mystery about firearms that usually causes problems

Oh yes I understand that, but you asked for honest opinions, so I gave mine. It was locked in a safe, he was an adult and was able to access it. It was after a fight with someone and was an instant reaction. However, we are not here to discuss that. Please don't ask for opinions if you're not going to like what you hear. Guns are a sensitive issue to a lot of people.

Like you mentioned, more people are killed with knives than with guns here in Australia. I don't contest that. The government have been trying to put in place stricter laws regarding the selling of knives and their concealment. However, unlike guns, knives are needed in society for a number of reasons and are therefore much harder to control than firearms.

I took two of my kids for their first shoot last weekend (using a club-built .223 cal), and they had a blast! (literally :lol:). A gun is a tool, like anything else, and if used correctly shouldn't be protrayed as a thing of evil. Perhaps owning or using a rifle is totally unnecessary.... But then I think that about golf! :lol: Absolutely nothing wrong with guns if used for honest reasons. Currently applying for my license.

I think the firearms laws are ok. The only thing I think could be improved is the safety training courses prior to city slickers getting there licences, they should be longer and more intense. I feel that alot of people who are not brought up around them & aren't in a rural environment, turn into gun club nuts who just wanna shot 'stuff' and participate in the game council hunting scam's.

I only shoot 3 months of the year on various properties and wetland conservation area's culling foxes. Occasionally I may go out and bring home some venison.

we have passed onto our kids, We started teaching them at 5 years old onward. By doing this we have negated the whole gun taboo issue that rears its ugly head and takes away the mystery about firearms that usually causes problems
Top job mate teaching kids how to safely use and respect firearms is one of the smartest thing a firearms owner can do!

I think the firearms laws are ok. The only thing I think could be improved is the safety training courses prior to city slickers getting there licences, they should be longer and more intense. I feel that alot of people who are not brought up around them & aren't in a rural environment, turn into gun club nuts who just wanna shot 'stuff' and participate in the game council hunting scam's.

I only shoot 3 months of the year on various properties and wetland conservation area's culling foxes. Occasionally I may go out and bring home some venison.
In saying that a lot of rural firearms owners I have meet and I have meet well over 100 are way more unsafe then people who go to a gun club such as ssaa a lot of rural firearms owners leave guns loaded and not locket in the safe when not being used...

Last edited:
i think in the right hands, with the right teaching there shouldn't be a problem with guns in society!
look how many people are killed in cars every year, and they aren't trying to ban cars off the road - just making the learning process longer and harder before licencing someone!

i think their fine the current laws i disagree with personally,
after the buy back it seems only honest people gave back guns.... so whos got guns left....?

Kid we are not talking about what firearms may not have been made for.

Last edited:
I think gun onwership is great, I own firearms, haven't been shooting much since my children have come along, but that will change as they get older and we can go out as father and sons and enjoy the sport in a safe way.
Nothing like getting rid of a few ferral animals.
As for things being weapons for killing, you could use just about anything, I would hate to hit by a large wood from a golf bag (Poor toads). My mate who is a doctor/surgeon says people are more likely to die from a knife wound as it does more damage that a gun shot wound, at least that is what he found out in ER.

People say they're not evil things... They were built for killing. :?
I find that an interesting attitude, purely because a vast majority of the technologies that are used today were being developed for the purpose of implementing them in weapons, or were then later used in weapons.
As for my view though, i think guns are good, and have there place in society when used correctly. They a great for hunting, and as a hobby (i do clay target and also small bore target shooting). The laws are rather effective, but there are always people who break laws and abuse the system.What frustrates me is when people judge entire groups based on the actions of the small percentage.

Guns....They are out there...here to stay....legal and illegal....if the price is right they can be found....like exotic herps.

The trouble is the person that holds the gun.

A good person no problem...a bad person and bad things will happen.

In reality the problem lies with Human Nature....and you can’t fix that with a law.

I'm interested in getting my licence in the near future. I certainly agree that there should be licensing and safety courses etc. but perhaps some of the restrictions on certain types of firearms which can be owned are not entirely necessary. Then again I don't have much experience in these things. I will have to get my shooting licence in the future anyway because of Veterinary Science.

As long as there is a licensing procedure and of course mandatory safety course/s I don't see why certain types of firearms are so restricted, after all in my opinion someone with a legal firearm can still cause as much damage as someone with a heavily restricted one ( assuming they even bother to get a licence in the first place).

Just my opinion....

-Will

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back