Bring back the cane!!!!!??????? for the juvenile problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guzzo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Darwin and the surrounding suburbs are infested with juvenile delinquents....they are lawless and run free with the knowledge that the courts hand out slaps on the wrist and thats all.

In the last six months two seperate houses have been burnt down killing a small boy and a respected man as they slept.....juveniles suspected but of course there is never enough evidence.

Gangs of youths wander the street.......

A young boy was bashed and his jaw shattered by a group of youths while he waited for a bus.

A man comes home with his wife holding his baby and gets stabbed 10 times by youths that were robbing their place and the offenders get 1 year jail and their names not released because they are a juvenile and must be protected.

The legal system is a joke.

When i went to school there was the cane....it was feared and respected and though i was on the receiving end many a time I feel it did me no ill.

I wish it would be brought back as it is obvious that so many juveniles are receiving no discipline at home.
Maybe the cane would make a difference at an early age as there is no respect for the law these days.

I suppose that they would have to actually go to school though!

Too many soft people who keep making excuses for young scum who will inevitably grow to be major criminals.....

just feel frustrated and angry about the above and needed to vent.....what’s your thoughts????

Any soloutions??

there is a different way and a much better way of disciplining and punishing kids, it is not physical abuse.

I work in a Juvenile Justice Center and I supervise kids like this everyday, and they are in and out of our center like yo-yo's. I tend to not let their crimes get to me - but sometimes its hard to treat them equally. Usually they come from the worst backgrounds you could think of. I am just glad I was brought up correctly and so will my children.

there is a different way and a much better way of disciplining and punishing kids, it is not physical abuse.

Domestic discipline applied correctly is not abuse.......what these thugs are doing to society is abuse......however if you think going around our streets at night hugging these kids will make a difference then let me know and I will visit you in hospital and ask you again for a touchy feely solution.

If the cane was brought back into schools... the delinquent kids wouldn't bother even going (if they don't already).

There is always a reason kids like that are the way they are, they wouldn't do it for nothing. Physical punishment wouldn't help the cause in any way, it'd probably do more harm than good in the long run.

Tougher sentences and more thorough psychological analysis coupled with treatment would probably be a more successful answer to the problem. IMO anyway...

I agree about tougher sentences.....and I also agree that they would not go to school....most don't now........I really think it is a problem too far gone and I don't know the solution. Courts take in to account their abuse as a child and their tough neglected upbringing and give them leniency for their crimes but what about their innocent victims???? If i was holding my baby and was stabbed while coming home I can think of only one punishment that fits this scum.............but that is just me.

Courts take in to account their abuse as a child and their tough neglected upbringing and give them leniency for their crimes but what about their innocent victims????

It should be taken into account, but sentences should not be reduced because of it. Maybe they should employ a program similar to those who have drug addictions... mandatory rehabilitation to deal with the abuse and neglect WITH the tougher sentence. Just giving them a lower sentence is like a bandaid that is not waterproof... without the help they need they will only re-commit.

I've worked with teenagers with behavioural problems, some who have been in juvies and some with the threat of juvie floating above their heads... (most) when they are on their own in the right environment they aren't horrible kids, they need help, someone who will listen to them and a positive role model.

I can appreciate that but find it hard to have any compassion towards them when you take things like this into account.
A child care centre here was broken into by juvies one night.
A hutch of rabbits and guinea pigs that were loved pets at the centre were tortured and killed by these kids with bricks and sticks......just kids having fun I suppose some will say.
Only one rabbit survived and it was crippled. The little kids who loved these pets were crushed and did not understand.
If these Juveniles broke into our beloved herp rooms and killed or maimed our prized collections would you be happy to dismiss their actions and say they are just troubled kids and I understand??
I am sorry but I can not at all find any excuse for this kind of behaviour.

i agree that there are no excuses, but i doubt the idea of a cane would help. I know that if i were going around doing things like you have mentioned, the threat of getting hit with a cane would serve as no deterrent at all. However i do whole heartedly agree that they should get stricter penalties.

I know! I agree it probably would not solve anything, I just don't know what the answer is......i really just don't know (and don't think) if there is an answer.....I just know that as a father i try to bring my kids up with respect for others. Maybe national service??

The generation gap would still be bad, all these kids who strut around like they're untouchable. So much disrespect wherever you look. I would want to bring back conscription, or at least make every teen do a year in the cadets. I did, and it gave me something to do, something to take pride in. Most crimes committed by these kids are out of boredom.
But it makes me angry and ashamed to see kids these days, theyr so dumb! And arrogant, but how to make them see any different. Ugh I could go on forever..

maybe Australia should take a leaf out of Singapores book ...... there is not a lot of crime in that country because of all the penalites that they have in place .....

Bring back the cain.
My Mom and Dad used to belt me, never too much though just enough to think twice about being a smart****.
Now you can't even do that.

I remember being in grade 4 I think and being in trouble for stripping someone's rose bush, just cus it seemed like fun to throw roses at eachother lol... But I was in the principal's office and remember seeing the cane leaning against his desk. The mere sight of it was discipline enough. I wasn't hit with it, as I think at the time, the cane was being phased out of schools.

My parents were also the discipline type when I was younger and I feared my Dad for a long while. They weren't abusive, just strict when required :)

I never really did much that would get me in trouble, simply because I didn't want to experience the wrath of my Dad.

So the cane, albeit disciplinary, wasn't the driving factor of my choices, it was my parents.

send them to cadets as juvies so they can learn discipline and if they are still trouble makers when they turn 18 send them straight to the army. Same with boat people, if you want to be an Australian, fight for it.:p

A simplistic solution for a complex problem.
Does the threat of cancer stop people smoking?
Does the obvious health problem prevent people from eating a McDonalds?
Does the near certain promise of severe injury stop people racing motorbikes?

Well I am not ashamed to say I smack my kiddies when they deserve it, but I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone else physically discipline them, on that note they wouldn't be game to behave so badly at school that they would need the cain, because they know they'd be coming home to a big spanking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back