Bring back the cane!!!!!??????? for the juvenile problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Often physical punishment makes them grow up to be violent. My friend gets smacked but her behaviour is was worse than mine, and I've never been smacked.

I agree flog the living christ out of them, If they dont comply shoot them!!

Oh yeah they're really gunna grow up perfect eh? They will either become shy and timid, or aggressive. We did a debate about this at school I won. Don't argue with me ;) lol

Also, if you try to cane a juvie, they will turn around and whack you back, that's if your lucky!

Last edited:
Perhaps If judges were accountable for their decisions (like everybody else) maybe things would change. If a patient presents to a doctor time and time again with cancer symptoms and the doctor does nothing, imagine the law suit when the painted discovers down the track he is dying of cancer which (if caught early and treated properly) could have been avoided.

Yet a juvenile can front court time and time again for increasingly more abusive and violent crimes and keeps getting let off with a slap on the wrist or bailed (only to laugh as they leave the court and offend again while on bail)........well why can’t the next poor victim sue the judge when like the above example there is a clear pattern of offending that was also not managed or treated properly.

The cane was around when I was a child, and I recieved on once.
But the problem lies directly with the parents of the children, children should be taught respect for thier parents and those that have aurthority over them and not mention having respect for others around them as well. There is a proverb written in a old book that says "Spare the rod spoil the child" which is very true IMO, so there needs to be boundries set (rules) within the home and these need to be done with love and never in anger. My children are definately not little angles but they understand repsect and discipline and know thier boundries.
As for the cane being reintroduced, well, now that I'm older I certainly don't agree with it being applied to hand as it can cause injuries, the backside is a much better option and there is a nerve that go from the backside to the brain that triggers a special reaction.
Without love and respect being taught at home in the first place it will be very hard to solve the problem of kids running wild with no discipline. And this would go along way if the parents also loved and wanted thier children in the first place as it is a sad fact of life that many parents find thier children a hassle. Children are a blessing from God. Just my opinion.

maybe Australia should take a leaf out of Singapores book ...... there is not a lot of crime in that country because of all the penalites that they have in place .....

Totally agree with you guzzo and Jumala your spot on...you even spit in that country and the fines are astranomical. If you murder someone in Singapore and your found guilty, the favour is returned with the death penalty. There is no waiting list in Singapore either, your straight into the gas chamber and bye bye. People over their aren't even game to fart without receiving punishment. There are women that walk around the streets at all hours of the night in Singapore, because there is no fear of being raped or killed, all because of the harsh penalties that are in place.

Australia is a joke when it comes to our own justice system and to be honest, I don't ever see it changing. The country will just keep getting weaker and weaker and unfortunately we will end up following Americas path were there is a murder or rape committed every 3 seconds and that really saddens me!

Can't we just take them outback and shoot them. I am sure they won't be missed and all there doing is stealing oxygen

If the youths of darwin are so violent I think there is probably a more severe problem. There have always been rough neighbourhoods it is not a new problem.

I bet that rates of violence among youths did not increase when the cane was phased out even though that is the time that any change would be most obvious. If the lack of discipline in schools really is a problem why did it take 15yrs for anyone to notice?

My guess is that you are actually just getting older and more bitter. It is a widely observed pattern that as people get older they become more bitter about change, they only remember the good things about their past and feel like the world is some how coming to an end. When in reality promising changes are happening all the time. In the last 50yrs we have seem some of the most important people empowering changes and I expect the future has more install.

Conscription for offenders into the military. If you stuff up in the military, you don't get punished, the others in your squad do. It's amazing how quickly people pick up their game when they realize they'll get the snot knocked out of them by their peers if they continually play up.

At least that's the way it was when I was in the military. It's probably changed now - too many bleeding heart, PC, softies out there.

The country will just keep getting weaker and weaker and unfortunately we will end up following Americas path were there is a murder or rape committed every 3 seconds and that really saddens me!

If the death penalty is so useful at deterring murder then why do US states that have the death penalty have higher murder rates per person than states that don't?

You can't be serious grimbeny???...

You use to be able to leave your door open with no fear of being robbed...what does that have to do with being bitter?

You use to be able to walk around the streets at all hours of the night without fear of being bashed, raped or even killed...what does that have to do with being bitter?

You see innocent old people well into their 80's and especially our old war heros that are getting broken into and bashed for what little they have...they weren't bitter against society before this happened to them or their loved ones, but I'm sure as hell they are now!

Conscription for offenders into the military. If you stuff up in the military, you don't get punished, the others in your squad do. It's amazing how quickly people pick up their game when they realize they'll get the snot knocked out of them by their peers if they continually play up.

At least that's the way it was when I was in the military. It's probably changed now - too many bleeding heart, PC, softies out there.

Another good idea spilota, it should be made compulsory for every student that leaves school gets enrolled into the armed forces for a minimum of 12 mths. I spent a short time in the Airforce and if anyone can straighten a bent rod, it's them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg yes im sorry, I completely forgot murder was only invented in the year 2000.

Heres the title of an article from the cover of the Sydney Mourning Herald on Saturday, April 05, 1958
GetImagedll.png

Im just guessing but I probably could have found an earlier example if I looked hard enough.

Australia is a joke when it comes to our own justice system and to be honest, I don't ever see it changing. The country will just keep getting weaker and weaker and unfortunately we will end up following Americas path were there is a murder or rape committed every 3 seconds and that really saddens me!

Too true. Some places in Australia are already far worse than the USA. Alice Springs has the highest rate of stabbing murders than anywhere else in the world. It's guns that kill people in the USA. Take away the guns and people will be a lot more reluctant to go one on one with someone. Sure it takes a person to pull the trigger but killing someone with a knife is far more personal than just pointing a gun at someone and killing them.

I've digressed considerably from the original subject. I say "bring back the cane."

Why are you even in this conversation? You are 23 dude...lol, you're life hasn't even started yet! When you are in your 40's and have experienced life a lot more, then come back and argue the point, that is if your still alive by then and not too bitter...lol.

Thank you for reminding me to not get involved in internet dis-agreements. Although I was hoping for an intelligent debate I got slapped with ignorance. Its a pity that even in todays world people can get to 40 without ever having to think.

If there is a problem with the world today it is that an education is under-valued (probably in the same way that it has always been).

I'm with Grimbeny, the levels of crime portrayed in the media don't reflect the true extent of our crime figures, and I believe that statistically speaking you are no more likely to become a victim of serious crime now than you would have been 50 years ago. We perceive that the level of crime is rising all the time because technology has made it possible to report crime as it happens in real time, or only a few hours later on constant news updates. Crime sells. The media feeds of societys fears and fascinations.
And I also understand the remark about people becoming bitter. I remember my elders telling me "This would never have happened when I was your age" My mother would have me believe that crime ,drugs and violence didn't exist when she was a teenager in a sleepy little English town, yet she hasn't heard the stories my uncle (her older brother) tells me of pot smoking, the arrival of LSD, drinking sessions, car theft and gang fights in the 60's.
I sometimes find myself thinking that things are getting worse, yet my adolescense was far more colourfull than the average teen.
The cane isn't going to fix the problem. It never was the answer. It just made the person wielding feel as if they were in control.

i will agree with you 99% yes there are juvies out there that need to be sorted out and need a good beating with a stick or belt, but as for the cane, at my school we had teachers that abuse their power of disapline, one teacher gave me an arvo for accidently droping my pen off the desk. if this teacher could cane people id feel sorry for them.

just remember the juvies onlt attack in a good odds number, my mate and i walked home from the train station at 2am and a groupe of juvies were sitting next to us but the 6 of them didnt do any thing because it would have been 3 vs 1 not 6 vs 1, they are cowards.i agree with not releasing the names for their safty but i do think they should see the same punishment for a crime as an adult. murder is still murder, stealing is still stealing and arson is still arson. ill see if i can find out more info but in W.A there were 2 arsons in i think it was 1995 ( correct me if im wrong) a 37 yr old and a 14 yr old both started fires the 14yr olds fire did more damage but he went to juvi for 3 months and the 37 yr old went to jail for 10+ yrs.

You don't have to be 40 plus to know what corporal punishment is or feels like.

I grew up in South Africa and received my fair share of canings in school and boarding school.

I agree it should be brought back! It is effective and does work.

Australia has strict penalties in place for most crimes, problem is 99% of the time they are never enforced.

I agree that there was crime back in the 60's etc, but it wasn't juveniles that were the perps. It was generally mob action at high levels of authority with the odd young crim thrown in. People actually feared cops back then too, there was no way juvies were breaking into homes and killing elderly and weak like today.

The problem with today is that there are so many damn bleeding hearts, it has produced a nation of weak, self absorbed losers who won't do anything to improve their lot, expecting the free ride that our stupid government gives them. These people smoke, drink and breed and then expect someone else to bring up their lost kid.

We have an impotent legal system that puts more strain on the country and does nothing for victims of crime. I live and let live but if some juvie delinquent thinks he can put one over me, the cops won't even get a call. I don't give a rats if he's come from a broken home or not.

It is up to us to be more vigilant, and have good self defence methods for us, our families and our homes in place.
You cannot trust the cops or the courts to do the right thing by you if you survive.

You can't be serious grimbeny???...

You use to be able to leave your door open with no fear of being robbed...what does that have to do with being bitter?

You use to be able to walk around the streets at all hours of the night without fear of being bashed, raped or even killed...what does that have to do with being bitter?

You see innocent old people well into their 80's and especially our old war heros that are getting broken into and bashed for what little they have...they weren't bitter against society before this happened to them or their loved ones, but I'm sure as hell they are now!

Another good idea spilota, it should be made compulsory for every student that leaves school gets enrolled into the armed forces for a minimum of 12 mths. I spent a short time in the Airforce and if anyone can straighten a bent rod, it's them!

Airforce may do that, I hear the navy may bend the straightened rod though :p

I think it's all down to the upbringing of the kid. My parent's have never spanked or hit me, or ever even grounded me really, certainly hasn't turned me into a psychotic thug. A god background with supportive parents and friends is the best way to stop kids from doing stupid stuff. More rehab while the kids are in juvie is needed. We watched a movie about the juvie system in school last year, the kids are locked in cells for hours every day, how is this going to do anything other than make them bitter??

Domestic discipline applied correctly is not abuse.......what these thugs are doing to society is abuse......however if you think going around our streets at night hugging these kids will make a difference then let me know and I will visit you in hospital and ask you again for a touchy feely solution.

I agree 100%, I was bought up this way and my kids will be too. My son is the happiest, well mannered kid you will ever meet. And it didn't happen by magic.

In Sicily where I went to school, the teachers still have the cane. No late home work, all the kids were super well behaved and work got done. At grade 1, the kids knew how to spell, write and memorise their times tables by hart. I came to school in Australia at end of grade 2 and the kids were still trying to figure out what 2X0=?

Bring back the cane, the back hand and the good old belt.
The kids need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back