Bring back the cane!!!!!??????? for the juvenile problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Darwin, in one of the "better" suburbs. In the street I live has many kids and teens that clearly going to end up in juvy, if not dead because the parents aren't discipling them. The parents aren't teaching them to be good kids, they're expecting their children to learn what's good and what's not at school and on their own.

Our neighbour's eldest sneeks out at night, with the parents full knowledge and they don't actually do much about it aside from a talk to them about. Instead they want us to tell them if he gets out. Their child is not our responsibility, and if if the kid finds out it was us who dobbed him in, there's a good chance his "friends" will target us/our property.

Catch the bus? Be prepared to see the bus driver and passergers abused by drunks, and wacth out for the teens at the main terminals (particularly Palmerston), or you'll be beaten to a pulp, as has happened to friends of mine.

Darwin needs parents to put quality time into their children to teach them to entertain themselves productively, and to discipline them properly and appropriately. If I was naughty, I got smacked. Bad influences were kept away from me, so that i appeared "sheltered" to other young Darwin people, but I am so grateful for it.

Berkeley , NSW !!!!!!!!!!! POST CODE GANGS RUN RIOT ! STABBINGS DAILY, break ins 6 houses on one street in one night and then again in 2 months time same houses.....

What makes you think kids that are disciplined harshly dont run off and turn to the street life because they cant handle the strict environment?
Plenty of kids end up on the street because their parents punish to the point of abuse, that is one of the reasons why society has turned against corporal punishment.
There are other ways to keep your kids inline and they are proven to be just as if not more effective

Last edited:
squeeze them to tight and they will rebel and fight back, don't Squeeze at all and they will fly away.

I am still in two minds in regards this issue. I do believe children need firmer discipline these days yet I also believe that physical discipline can be overdone to the point of abuse (having been subject to the latter myself). There is a world of difference between a few firm smacks and repeated lashings with belts.

ok, now that you guys have this topic sorted I wonder if belting kids will improve their spelling and basic manners?

flog them!!!! Give the kids a taste of what they are doing to others!, then do it again, and again and keep repeating it until these disrespectful little kids learn what's right from wrong! The luvvy duvvy approach doesn't work, but then neither does chucking them in a juvie centre filled with other little kids! (all they do share stories and see who has bragging rights)
I can promise you, the minute my kids cause someone that sort of distress, they will be severely punished. My kids 6, 4 and 2 always say please and thankyou, they even think the word hate is a swear word! Sure they are naughty sometimes but my wife and I are firm with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flogging wouldn't work.
I'm not saying this is bad, but when I was 9, my teacher used to grab my collar, push me against the wall, and yell at me, for calling out/talking in class... which I did a lot.
I kept doing it, it did nothing.
I did it until last year, when I got into keeping frogs.

I don't think bringing back the cane would work, the cane was used in a time when parents and the authorities - ie cops - had actual powers. Unless parents decide to discipline their children, and the cops are given back their powers and authority, allowing teachers to cane kids won't work - why should teachers have to discipline someone else's kids? There is no respect for authority in many of today's youth - though, yes, there are those who have half a brain and have respect for other people and their property. However, the government has taken away pretty much everything that would make a kid have any respect for anyone, cops can't do anything, parents are barley allowed to smack their kids etc, the 'do gooder bleeding hearts' have made the govt. take away any actions that parents and police ever had. The police/govt. need to start making these scum kids - and adults - responsible for their actions. Steal a car? No license or car for you. Crash someone elses car? Take away mum/dads car to pay for it. Steal from someone? Your own belongings are removed to pay for the items. Graffiti? Not only have to remove it, but your room/house should be covered. Bring back the public shaming that was around in medieval times, make them appear in public either in stocks (bit extreme) or wearing a shirt that declares their crime.

Er, rant cut off half way, my ideas of discipline are a little extreme, one subject I studied at uni was the convicts and my essay topic of choice was the forms of punishment used on convicts in early Australia...

lol i wouldnt sugest bringing it back there would be alot of hospitalized teachers

isnt it more the parents and the schooling system that arent their weights to help the kids know how to act/behave
positive re-inforcement and a bit of capital punishment and slave labour wont hurt anyone

I never got smacked, and I have partaken in natural and chemical inebriation, (after I was 18) drank heavily from 16 till 21, fairly well covered in tattoos, work a full-time job, am getting married haveing a child, love and respect my parents and have never hit anybody, stolen anything, set anything on fire, show proper respect to the police even when they are being rude and grouchy to me, pay all my fines and enjoy a happy healthy life.

I'm no exception either all of my friends are the same and I know many many others as well.
There is one thing that stands out above all else is that one or both parents gave a damn about them.
Enough of a damn to educate them, clothe them, feed them and APPROPREATLY discipline them.
These scummy kids probably have scummy parents, who only saw them as a new tax payed plasma screen tv.
There is Ofcourse the opposite end of the scale, where they are spoiled brats who parents believe the sun shines out of there back sides and when they do mess up so bad thier parents can't just gloss it over or do the "what a load of rubbish, my Jimmy is an angel" pallava, they will pay for the child in questions muck up or hire the best lawyers they can to get em out.

The Cane, harsher punishment, loud yelling ect, have been proven time and time again to do nothing, evidence has show it all comes down to poor parenting!

The worst part is no parent will ever accept that it's thier fault and nobody will ever tell them they need to pull thier socks up.

The solution would be to take away the one basic right all humans have globally, the right to procreate, parenting licence's or some sort of control to prevent people who are going to be...Inappropriate parents from haveing children.

It will never happen though. :(

hahahaha I like these debates.....no one has the answer.
Judges not giving out proper sentences, the laws will get tougher when a few of the judges or politician's families are targetted with crime.
I do beleive in smacking kiddies, not half killing them, some people don't know the difference.
I was a pretty naughty kid, I got at least one belting a week. I certainly turned out OK, having respect for others , manners, spelling etc lol
If I told any adult to go get you know what......I would of never lived to have seen the next day.
It is hard work to pull up a kid about their behaviour, it is a lot easier to just let them do what they want. I feel not disciplining your kids as a form of neglect. They become socially unacceptable, left out because let's face it, who wants the local brat in their home? You are doing your child a disservice.

I don't know the answer either, however a friend of mine caught a youngster spray painting his fence and returned the favour by spray painting his hair/face/clothes etc with his own paint. Perhaps this might have taught him to think twice about doing it again.

as a mum of 5 kids ive brought them up the best i can use there manners be kind to others but it really does ****** me when my 5 yr old gets of the bus on his third day at prep crying cause some grade 5 kid has builled him rang the school they carnt do much wish i could contact his parents maybe they could sort their son out before he gets real nasty but even though i got the cane at school and yes it made me think twice before doing something silly again dont think it would work with kids of today

When I was 13 (1960's) I stole sme stuff, got caught, and the coppers gave me a hiding I didn't forget. My indignity carried no weight with my family or anyone else. I crossed the line, paid the price and I've been good ever since. Well, more careful anyway.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back