Frozen Rat Prices

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Was at a major shopping centre this morning and decided to get my snake some more frozen rats, went into ( i wont name the store cause im not sure if im allowed to on here or not) and he wanted 18 bucks for a large male frozen rat or 16 bucks for a medium size rat, i couldnt believe it, i ended up telling him what a joke that was and left and went to my other store and bought my medium size rat for 5.50, that is a massive difference and being new to this pet snake thing ( it will be my 3rd feed coming up this weekend) if i woulda gone to that store in the first place i woulda thought 18 bucks was the norm, what a bloody rip off. And by the way it was the manufactorer for both rats, anyway just thought id share my expereince :)

Ridiculous isnt it, Time to start breeding rats if you want to expand the collection! I breed mice, and i am thinking I'm going to have to breed rats too....

we started to breed rats for that very reason...the prices of frozen rats at pet stores are ridiculous we had to pay over 20 for a jumbo rat for one of our snakes who was very due for a feed...it was crazy, it does my head in thinking about how cheap they probably get the rats for in the first place

There $12 each up here,regardless of size.Theres no way im paying a couple hundred every feed.Alot cheaper breeding my own..

Yeah i paid 5.95 for my first medium rat and 5.50 for my 2nd medium rat from 2 different places, just happened to be somewhere else today and went there instead and he wanted 16 bucks, and all 3 are from the same manufacturer, he said he couldnt buy them for that price, someone telling porky pies, anyway so glad i didnt go to him in the first place, this newbie coulda been screwed big time, lol

thats the same reason why i started to breed rats and mice , down here in vic the prices arnt too bad for buying rats . but it still used to cost me $200 + a month to feed the snakes .

I generally sell weaner rat for $3each or $2 each if brought in bulk..100 or more.Gee if i sold them at that price and people brought them,i would be a millionaire in no time...

its getting expensive, very expensive. pet shops are always expensive for me, never found anywhere cheap. but now i mange to get a months worth of feed for 25 snakes, pinkie rats - mediums all for $200. fairly cheap.

if your not breeding them yourself, bulk buying would be the way to go if you can find a cheap enough place. and if you can find a backyard breeder, usually quite cheap.

thats the same reason why i started to breed rats and mice , down here in vic the prices arnt too bad for buying rats . but it still used to cost me $200 + a month to feed the snakes .
I get my Rats for $5 each medium adult. i breed my own mice and rats and it still costs me $700 a month for rats. $200 would be a dream

Yeah, between $27 and $30 an x-large rat from a petshop up here, and about $7 privately, it's a joke. We breed alot of our own to take the edge off but still need to buy the big stuff, never buy from a petshop though.

I get my Rats for $5 each medium adult. i breed my own mice and rats and it still costs me $700 a month for rats. $200 would be a dream
yeah but i bet u have more snakes then me , i only have 18 atm . but im allways on the lookout for more .

Yeah this is why I'd recommend breeding your own even if you only have a couple of snakes. It's much more rewarding to breed them yourself too I think

frozen rats

I have heaps of snakes at the moment and just bought some more from the reptile expo on Sunday.
I've been buying all my rats from extreme pets in Liverpool. There prices are really good and they have great advise they all keep reptiles.
i think there jumbo rats are $12.00 each

here pet shops charge about $15 for large adult rats, its crazy. I have been breeding my own mice for a couple of months now and it has saved me a heap, will be getting rats as well soon so feed the larger snakes

So you guys think it's still worth it to breed your own rats even with just 2 snakes?

i started breeding my own rats and mice but they stink. i rather buy them if you go to the right place you wont spend so much on rats and mice

Rats don't stink if you clean them regularly and use the right substrate.
Snakelove I'd still recommend it personally. It would just mean you need a smaller set up. Plus you won't only have two for long :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back