Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AusConstrictors

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I would like to breed some pythons in the future but I’m not sure on what use all mean about dropping temps what do I do when I drop the temps I heard that you drop the temps at knight but how much do I drop them. Also do I keep feeding them in the breeding season or what? Could youse please give me a full run down on breeding including the coiling periods? Also any tips and tricks that youse use would be much appreciatedcheers

Ok so I would like to breed some pythons in the future but I’m not sure on what use all mean about dropping temps what do I do when I drop the temps I heard that you drop the temps at knight but how much do I drop them. Also do I keep feeding them in the breeding season or what? Could youse please give me a full run down on breeding including the coiling periods? Also any tips and tricks that youse use would be much appreciatedcheers

Have you ever opened up a book?

you may already no this but if you dont, DO NOT keep a breeding pair of pythons in the same enclosure un less there in there to mate obviously but i have actually had a customer walk up to me and ask me why there pythons werent breeding and then told me they grew up together in the same enclosure.. hope that helps also a really good book is keeping and breeding australian pythons edited by mike swan.

hope that helps :D

Some Pythons can breed if they have grown up together in the same enclosure. God I love the information given out on the net.I know someone first hand who had two spotteds from hatches together and 3 years latter 13 eggs with a python coiled around them.
Also last season I personally had a pr of Jungle pythons produce eggs ( all the eggs hatched) and they had been together in a display enclosure for over a year.

It is not the best way to do things tho , if you want to actually breed. but it happens.

Get a book on breeding pythons , Give up asking people on the net.

Get a book on breeding pythons , Give up asking people on the net.
Thanks and I’m starting to realize that not many people give you a good answer it seems they all want to just be smart and put people down for being new to something everyone started somewhere and everyone had to as other people how to do stuff and I wish people would respect this

I don't think people are being deliberately insulting. You are just asking a lot about a very complicated subject. Like was suggested read Mike Swan's book. It's the bible for all Aussie python owners and will have much more info than you will get here

Read keeping and breeding Australian pythons for the various species you have.

Another scenario is:
Boy snake goes to a party, meets girls snake, drinks to much, they hook up, wake up in the morning naked not remembering the night before or each other names.
Male leaves without exchanging numbers or FB profiles info. BOOM! girl ends up gravid & pregnant and the boy snake doesn't know or has anything to do with the offspring.

That works too :)

breeding snakes is extensive. no ones just going to explain it all on a forum post. get the book edited by mike swan, great book.

Lol just do some research mate, google and word of mouth helped me years ago...yes people were breeding pythons before "THE BOOK" i know hard to believe but true.
And every species of "python" requires a slightly different yearly breeding cycle so pick a species and start researching that :)

Don't lie Bez. Keepers were all a crazy people who had no clue what they were doing and got through on blind luck until the Morelia God handed down The Book :p

How long have you had reptiles (snakes) what species and how old?

How long have you had reptiles (snakes) what species and how old?
i have had reptiles for about 4 years now i have 1 bredli python 1 year, 1 proserpine python 4 years, 2 bearded dragons 3 years, 2 green tree frogs unknown, 1 pygmy bearded dragon about 2 years, 2 blue tongue lizards 1 atleast 7 and the other 1 year and 2 boyds forest dragons 1 and a half years old

Last edited:
breeding snakes is extensive. no ones just going to explain it all on a forum post. get the book edited by mike swan, great book.

Brillant book and well worth it if you wish to breed various python species..

Right, now what species are you looking at attempting out of the 2 pythons you have put up?
What age and size are they?

Um I might be getting another bredls so my bredls but once i get the money I’m going to get a heap of antaresia pythons and start on some breeding with them and hopefully have a new morph I a few years I don’t need help on my lizards as I already have breed them and know how to do that

I think that your rushing things quite a bit!

Dont go out and buy a heap more snakes just to have a crack at breeding!

What you need to do is achieve a mate for one of what you allready have,
grow it to adult hood and by that time you will have gained a lot more experience and knowledge to take you to that next step.

As far as creating a new morph you are so far from that at the moment its not worth considering.

The first step is get hold of that book mentioned above and study it on the first species you wish to try.

Now having said all of this you do realise you wont make a killing on hatchies
of any of the above species you have as they are among some of the most over produced snakes on the market!

Now having said all of this you do realise you wont make a killing on hatchies
of any of the above species you have as they are among some of the most over produced snakes on the market!

I don’t rely care if I lose money and i would properly keep a lot of the hatchling for myself anyway its not all about money after all thay are a pet not a toy. I’m not just going to get a heap of snakes yet I meant in a few years time once I finish school and done my herpetology degree at uni than ill be breeding a lot more snakes also I love to set big plans for the future so I’m still thinking about making a new morph one day down the track It keeps me motivated and interested in reptiles a lot more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back