Very picky Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snails are an awesome food for blueys so if you've got a good supply feed them. I mix the meat component with the vegetables so they have to eat some, seems to work.

I mix the meat component with the vegetables so they have to eat some, seems to work.
That's exactly what I do. I notice that despite this, they will deliberately eat all the blueberries first, then they'll eat the rest. But always the blueberries are first.

I always give mine thawed out frozen mixed vegetables. Should I be cooking it or is thawed from the bag ok?
All the veggies mine get are raw, anything they they'd eat in the wild is raw, I wouldn't worry about cooking the veg.

You dont need to cook the veggies but i would recommend rubbing them in your hand a bit so they are not completely frozen when you put them in the dish

Snails are an awesome food for blueys so if you've got a good supply feed them. I mix the meat component with the vegetables so they have to eat some, seems to work.

Agree 100%. Snails are one of the best things you can feed a bluey. If you get them from the garden, just keep them for 3 or 4 days in a container to make sure they're not baited.

Boiled egg can sometimes get a picky eater going. Raw egg too, but it can make a mess a few days later! Dip some raw veggies into some raw egg and try that.

Young blueys are fine with a higher meat & protein to veggie ratio diet, but try to get them onto variety as soon as you can because a picky eater can stay a picky eater for life!

I have an old bluey that has never eaten anything but dog food grubs- snails, lawn grubs, xmas beetles, centipedes, grasshoppers etc. A vegetable has never passed his lips, except for the occasional yard mushroom. Won't eat a bought one, but if it's foraged then it's ok apparently!

Have you tried putting the veggies into a food processor so that they are almost in a mash? That has worked with picky blues before in the last as well. You probably have you sound like you know what your talking about but just a suggestion.

On another note, I always thought snails were very high in fat content and as such a sometimes food?

Have you tried putting the veggies into a food processor so that they are almost in a mash? That has worked with picky blues before in the last as well. You probably have you sound like you know what your talking about but just a suggestion.

On another note, I always thought snails were very high in fat content and as such a sometimes food?

Hi Dinobot, Snails are probably the best thing you could feed a bluey, they make up a large portion of their diet in the wild. Blueys are best with the slow moving live foods!

Snails - your average garden helix aspersa type snail - is high in protein and low in fat (unsaturated fat at that) plus the shell has great calcium content. Although they don't eat all the shell, they do sometimes eat some, plus the snail itself also has calcium.

I agree with the mashing of the veggies bit. I've even read of some people who put veggies inside snail shells to trick their blueys into eating their greens!

Cheers for that much appreciated I dont mind being proven wrong! I feed mine a snail every now and then but may increase it a touch.

Hi Ash, I've never bought snails, I rely on my parent's garden when I visit, or neighbourly donations. Not that I bother asking for them ;)
After it has been raining a bit, go for a walk up & down your street at night, you should find some.
As was stated before, keep em for a few days to ensure they aren't baited.

Thanks every one. I have always wondered about the cooking of food for lizards, the seem to survive pretty well in the wild.

So she/he is still loving snails and grubs, mushrooms and watermelon, but still sticking her nose up at the rest. will try agian with the mashed/diced veg. We did come across some pellets for lizards and she seems to enjoy those, so hopefully they will give her any nutrients she is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back