Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V.rosenbergi are present in captivity with viable numbers - it is important that the current keepers put sufficient effort into breeding them though.

It's a shame about the Kingorum numbers dropping off - I did keep these until selling my group to another keeper on this site. Not sure of what has since happened to them.

I would have been stoked if my house was built because I would've bought the Rosenbergs pairs available lately.

Having a little luck with V.baritji, hoping that a few will be available in the not too distant future. It would be awesome to see a few more of these smaller monitors becoming available, ESP.. Kingorum, caudos and glebos!

There are quite a few Monitors I see that look nice, too bad you can only keep tristis, varius, indicus (I like them), mertensi ('cute', also saw some mating at Healesville Sanctuary yesterday), gilleni, acanthurus, gouldii, storri and spenceri (nice too).

I have a lacie love him very shy timid creatures there rare in captivity because they cost more to heat and feed and not many people want to incubate eggs for 10-12 months takes to much patients but they are awesome looking creatures

V.baritji are going well in captivity. This season I had over 30 hatchlings hatch. I have a few monitor species that aren't that common and have had a pretty good breeding season. I havent needed to advertise this season and prob wont need to next. The reason you dont see many of the rarer monitors advertised is because those that are most interested in them have sort out the breeder well in advance in some cases years.

There is a pair of Glebopalma in NSW in private hands. Varanus Baritiji are being worked on. Mitchelli are about, i noticed Storrs arent no-where near as common as they were 5 or so years ago.
Storrs aren't common?

Not as common as they once were, no. At least not in NSW. They used to be often up for sale on herpshop.com about 6 years ago.

If I may hijack for just a second - How do you find/get in contact with breeders? I have put a wanted ad and a thread in the forum for Sandies or Black-Tailed Monitors and haven't heard anything. If they are meant to be common breeds and I'm getting nothing how do you find out about people breeding not so common ones?

Not as common as they once were, no. At least not in NSW. They used to be often up for sale on herpshop.com about 6 years ago.
They are still reasonably common here to my knowledge.

>How do you find/get in contact with breeders?<
Go support your local herp society (yours would be Hawkesbury Herpetological Society), don't be afraid to approach people, introduce yourself and ask if they know of anyone breeding what your after. Society shows are great too. Read articles in the herp magazines, take note of the authors and see if they post on an online forum. Apart from that, check the classifieds websites often and take note of sellers and contact details. If you aren't prepared to buy from them for whatever reason straight away eg. financial, enclosure not ready, contact them later and see if they are breeding again or if they know anyone that would. The last option is tricky as you don't want to appear to be another tyre-kicker. Get out there physically and get involved with the herp clubs, you might be surprised. Posting wanted adds on a forum helps, but as someone mentioned before, monitor breeders don't usually have to advertise as they are a bit more 'Niche market' than more common stuff like beardies for example.

Look who I found on the outside fridge this afternoon!

Photo63.jpg

Made my week awesome!

What's that Jannico?
Looks like a hatchy of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back