Spotted still hungry???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crl94

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I fed my spotted python a Fuzzy and it's stil striking at hands and moving around, does it need another one????

If your hands are still in there after you've fed it, it is likely to be striking defensively. Snakes feel vulnerable when full of food so best to put it away and leave it be to digest.

My hands aren't near it though I just walk by and he gets cranky, also I thought you weren't meant to move them for a couple of hours to let them digest :/ ?

Have you got a hide in his enclosure so he can "hide" and digest, crl?

I heard that they were better off being fed outside the enclosure so they don't associate opening the door of th enclosure with food.

I heard that they were better off being fed outside the enclosure so they don't associate opening the door of th enclosure with food.

Thats one of the biggest loads of BS there is floating about on here usually perpetrated by those with little to no keeping experience!

Leave it in its own enclosure to feed!

ok, what I'm really looking for here is should I feed it more as it's climbing the side of the box and I thought they were meant to rest?

Just read the second thred you made on this subject.
A fuzzy mouse isnt a large enough feed for a yearling, it should be able by now
to handle a small adult mouse.

My hands aren't near it though I just walk by and he gets cranky, also I thought you weren't meant to move them for a couple of hours to let them digest :/ ?

My mistake, in your original post you said it was "striking at hands". Silly me. Snakes require days to digest, not hours. Best left alone during this period. As has been mentioned, a suitable hide is required. As well, the "feeding out of the enclosure" thing is not necessary. Last thing, as beeman said, your animal can likely handle a much larger feed than a "fuzzy" (mouse?) at "55-60cm" it should be able to take a large weaned rat or adult mouse.

The behaviour you described sounds defensive in nature to me, but also sounds like it could handle another fuzzy or 3! If you feed in the enclosure, there is no need to move or handle your snake with a belly full of food.

Cheers!

Oh now I get it. The pm you sent me didn't make much sense but I get it now.
You can feed it in the enclosure if you want. I feed mine outside of it only because I have bark as a substrate and I don't want him to accidentally swallow some.
And bee man, really? My 60cm 17 month old spotted python eats pink rats and they seem a perfect size for him...

Oh now I get it. The pm you sent me didn't make much sense but I get it now.
You can feed it in the enclosure if you want. I feed mine outside of it only because I have bark as a substrate and I don't want him to accidentally swallow some.
And bee man, really? My 60cm 17 month old spotted python eats pink rats and they seem a perfect size for him...
How many pink rats are you giving him? When you look at size comparisons a small adult mouse isn't much bigger than a fuzzy rat which a 1.5 year old mac should easily be able to do

i agree no need to remove from enclosure to feed it.
check the size of the food item, remember snakes are known for being able to consume large prey items, they can probably take on a lot more than you realize. i had a spotted hatchling and i had him on fuzzy mice, so a yearling should be large enough to be feed smaller size rats. I think a small rat would be too large for a spotted at that size as i feed my 2 year old carpet on small rats (then again she looks in need for an upsize)
snake whisperer as named a good size. try getting it onto smaller rats rather than large mice due to fat content.
i think you should give a snake 24 hrs before disturbing after a feed.

A formula I have used with great success is 20-30% of body weight per feed. I.E: 20-30g rodent for a 100g snake. Even with a single food item at that size, your snake will be fine with it. You will be unnerved the first time you see your little snake eat something that big but you get over it once you accept that that is just what snakes do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back