Golden Crowneds and Marsh Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_a_gecko

Reaction score
Earlier this month at the AHS meet in Syd, I picked up some beaut little snakelings from Colin Smallwood. A pair of Golden Crowneds (Cacophis squamulosus) and a pair of Marsh Snakes (Hemiaspis signata).
P2010835_wm__crop%20(Small).jpg
P2010769_ms_wm%20(Small).jpg

Over a week later, I assist fed them gently on mice tails using a clever method suggested by Col. This not being their natural food item I’m a little nervous - but I have faith. As soon as they poop I’m going to be ecstatic c:
P2010947_ms_wm%20(Small).jpg
P2010896_f5%20(Small).jpg

Anyone else looking to get these species, they're not often available and will probs be all sold soon so get in quick c:

Look forward to sharing more of the excitement soon! ^_^
Pete

pretty. golden crowns are near the top of the list for next species for me.
good luck with them.

They will poop Peter, you keep poking mouse tails into them they gotta poop sooner or later.
Whats the clever method Colin told you?.
I dip the tail in some water so they get a drink as well as it slides down easier.
Great pics.

Cheer.

I was looking at gettign both of those species but the heat up here is a bit much for them. Awesome lil snake too.

I have a little bit of experience with small elapids and gettign them feeding. I am not a fan of mouse tails. They carry very little nutrition and don't offer much to the snake as an incentive to eat. I have had alot of success using small fish, first as a force/assist feed and then very quickly voluntary feed. Then i used them as scenting on mice and then voluntarily on unscented pinkys.

I caught I crown adult myself once... it regurged up another crown lol.
I love their bluff displays, your very lucky and I hope they do well with you!

I have had alot of success using small fish, first as a force/assist feed and then very quickly voluntary feed. Then i used them as scenting on mice and then voluntarily on unscented pinkys.

be careful with little fish, some have spines in the fins ... even gambusia spines that seem flimsy to us can cause injury in a small elapid

love them
i was considering a marsh or 2
but cnt exactly go too far with a broken leg :( so i guess i miss out haha
thanx for sharing and make sure u post updates in a few months or so :)

be careful with little fish, some have spines in the fins ... even gambusia spines that seem flimsy to us can cause injury in a small elapid
y

Guppies are best the are all soft. You do need to use your brain with them and cut off anything that may cause injury.

i have switched to syringe and catheter tubing, lubricated with egg white. pinkie mush injected straight down the throat to the stomach.
fine rubber catheter tubing (and lots of interesting medical stuff that can be used for all sorts of jobs) can be found on ebay!

Or if your moms a nurse.
I've been talking to Colin this week hopefully I get a pair.
Any more info would be awesome guys.

MUM, the word is MUM... bloody seppo speak, what are we austericans?
Yeah I winced at that one too.

Peter, just be careful mate, I know the crownies aren't meant to bite, but we've all heard the stories....;)

Nice work mate...

Thanks for the praise. Its taken a long time and a lot of hard work to breed these guys. Imagine the persistence of assist feeding 6 clutches of GC's and a litter of Marshies every week or two...

I'll try to get some photos up of the parents soon.

And yes Mr sockpuppet, the stories are true. Once a Golden Crowned reaches 80cms plus, they are more than capable of giving a decent bite ;)

Awesome guys, one of the few snakes I'd love to keep that we can't here in Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back