jag offspring variety

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabregasreptiles

Reaction score
Hi,

just wondering the various possibilities of breeding a gold jag with an albino darwin and the possibilities of breeding a gold jag and a normal jungle (also what the offspring will look like would be great)

thanks

albino wont show unless theres 2 albino genes present. in other words both parents must carry the albino gene, if only 1 gene is present the offspring will look normal. not sure if jag is a gene or morph. maybe someone that understands the jag make up can explain

Jag is a dominant morph with a super form yet no supers have survived. The Jag gene will show if it is present. Unlike Albino which is recessive. To get an albino jag you would need at least 2 generations.

blind_leading_the_blind.jpg

so what steps would it take to get an albino jag. is it an albino x gold jag, then breed one of the hatchlings (which one???) with the jag?????

Breed a Jag to an Albino Darwin then breed the offspring back to the albino darwin.

hatchie from jag to albino pairing will be a het to albino (carries the albino gene but isnt seen). so mate a hatchie back to the albino parent will then breed albino's with the jag gene

You may hate it Waruikazi but this is the direction that many Aussie herpers will head.
Its only a matter of time before we will see car and jagpondros in the for sale section

You may hate it Waruikazi but this is the direction that many Aussie herpers will head.
Its only a matter of time before we will see car and jagpondros in the for sale section

Lol that's not what the pictures are for! Hahaha!

Dannyboi, we've been through this before! We went through about 4 pages of face palms explaining punnet squares not that long ago!

Wranga, surely you can't pretend to know how to produce a 'gold albino jag' if you're not aware of how the JAG trait is inherited.

Fabregasreptiles, do you even have a jag or an albino?

Dannyboi, we've been through this before! We went through about 4 pages of face palms explaining punnet squares not that long ago!

Wranga, surely you can't pretend to know how to produce a 'gold albino jag' if you're not aware of how the JAG trait is inherited.

Yeah and all the information given is true. Just no percentages of traits shown have been given. I myself have no intention of owning a Jag because if I were to spend 1000-2000 on a snake it would be a Green Tree Python.

Yeah and all the information given is true. Just no percentages of traits shown have been given. I myself have no intention of owning a Jag because if I were to spend 1000-2000 on a snake it would be a Green Tree Python.

It's not quite all true.

never tried to pretend. i asked in an earlier post in this thread about the jag trait. it was explained and i added the albino part as i understand. cheers

Last edited:
Well, then you have to wait maybe 6 or 7 years to raise them to breeding age, breed them, raise the offspring to breeding age and backcross. No problem.

Personally, I don't think an albino jag would be that special. The only thing that makes them look interesting is the bits of reduced black. Without that, you just have a pale snake with 'issues'. It would be hard to tell which offspring were jags (unless they were twitching). I have no doubt that people are well on their way with that cross and that it will generate some excitement, but I don't see the point.

Well, then you have to wait maybe 6 or 7 years to raise them to breeding age, breed them, raise the offspring to breeding age and backcross. No problem.

Personally, I don't think an albino jag would be that special. The only thing that makes them look interesting is the bits of reduced black. Without that, you just have a pale snake with 'issues'. It would be hard to tell which offspring were jags (unless they were twitching). I have no doubt that people are well on their way with that cross and that it will generate some excitement, but I don't see the point.

First of all males will breed at 18 months, females 2 1/2 years,
The difference between Albinos and JAG ALBINOS is chalk and cheese, check out the overseas sites. However having said that, you are right to a degree about the difference not being that different visually, but they are easy to tell apart.........The major difference is what can be achieved with an ALBINO JAG.

They are an awesome morph, but when the ALBINO and JAG/LEUCISTIC genetics are combined something special should be produced, providing its not lethal.........Furthermore you have the combinations of CARAMELS/ALBINOS/AXANTHICS/SNOWS/JAGS and all the various combinations from these morphs. Albino JAGS are just the tip of the iceberg.......

Benji, the GOLD JAG with the Albino will produce half a clutch of JAGS that are het for albino. You then want to breed one of these het jags back to the Albino and you will get ALBINO JAGS. It could take you as little as 2-3 years to produce an ALBINO JAG.......

Hope this helps

You can speed the process up by purchasing a het albino jag. As said LARKS has some and I have one male left, however both LARKS and I only have poss hets available........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back