jag offspring variety

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE=
Benji, the GOLD JAG with the Albino will produce half a clutch of JAGS that are het for albino. You then want to breed one of these het jags back to the Albino and you will get ALBINO JAGS. It could take you as little as 2-3 years to produce an ALBINO JAG.......

i thought all 100% of hatchies would be hets from pairing a jag(normal) with an albino, or dose the jag dene change this to 50%. sorry just trying to understand this after being told by gordo that i was wrong. would just like to know, cheers

The Jag gene in all the living carpets with it are all hets. So you wont get 100% Jags from a clutch.

Barra have you produced any 'Tiger' Jags?

Lol that's not what the pictures are for! Hahaha!

Dannyboi, we've been through this before! We went through about 4 pages of face palms explaining punnet squares not that long ago!

Wranga, surely you can't pretend to know how to produce a 'gold albino jag' if you're not aware of how the JAG trait is inherited.

Fabregasreptiles, do you even have a jag or an albino?

ok, ok i think im starting to get it, but what's a het?? LOL

Last edited:
so my albino part is correct. if i understand where im wrong, its on the thinking that all hatchies would be jags not 50%het to jag. so the jag gene is like the albino and needs both parents to carry it. so 2 jag genes to make a jag. right??

First of all males will breed at 18 months, females 2 1/2 years,
My estimate of 6-7 years is if he wants to start with a hatchling albino and a hatchling jag and go through the whole process. It would only make sense to start with hets available from yourself or Larks. I still think the black patterns on the jags make them special. It would take at least 4 months to have some idea if an albino was a jag and you would still be guessing. Have you gotten there yet Barramundi? You've got as much of a head start as anyone in Australia, although the Europeans will have produced a few. I haven't checked out the overseas forums for them.

Well, then you have to wait maybe 6 or 7 years to raise them to breeding age, breed them, raise the offspring to breeding age and backcross. No problem.

Personally, I don't think an albino jag would be that special. The only thing that makes them look interesting is the bits of reduced black. Without that, you just have a pale snake with 'issues'. It would be hard to tell which offspring were jags (unless they were twitching). I have no doubt that people are well on their way with that cross and that it will generate some excitement, but I don't see the point.

Agree, 100%!

The Jag gene in all the living carpets with it are all hets. So you wont get 100% Jags from a clutch.

Barra have you produced any 'Tiger' Jags?

Danny, we do have a few TIGER JAGS available, we just updated the 2011 offspring page on our website. Anyone interested should jump on there and check out the 2011 offspring......

Here are a few pics I took the other day......Not TIGERS though.....you will have to check the site to see those

Attachments

• P4072377.jpg
    P4072377.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P4072375.jpg
    P4072375.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 51
  • P4072374.jpg
    P4072374.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P4072376.jpg
    P4072376.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 52
Danny, we do have a few TIGER JAGS available, we just updated the 2011 offspring page on our website. Anyone interested should jump on there and check out the 2011 offspring......

Here are a few pics I took the other day......Not TIGERS though.....you will have to check the site to see those
wow love number 4

The Tigers on your website are definitely amazing looking. There is so much variation when you have a morph like the Jaguar. With Jags do you have any idea what the size will be? I mean you could throw a fair few different sizes.

Wait.. correct me if I'm wrong? I thought the Jag gene being co-dom can only be produced by a Jag. None jag carrying siblings do not carry the Jag genes themselves and therefore can not make Jags out none jag sib matings. How can there be Jag hets then?

I love this little guy: 11CD08 - M

Wait.. correct me if I'm wrong? I thought the Jag gene being co-dom can only be produced by a Jag. None jag carrying siblings do not carry the Jag genes themselves and therefore can not make Jags out none jag sib matings. How can there be Jag hets then?

1 Jag gene = Jag (het-visable)
2 Jag genes = Leucistic (dead)

Barra, you got some smokers on the go there mate ;)

Jag is a dominant morph with a super form yet no supers have survived. The Jag gene will show if it is present. Unlike Albino which is recessive. To get an albino jag you would need at least 2 generations.

Jag's are co-dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back