Pale Headed Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uromastyx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all
I was going through the forums and I came across this snake. But the details on the availability is a bit old [2007]. I was wondering if anyone knew someone that breeds them, or works with them?
they are a really neat looking snake, needless to say.

pale headed snake

hey all
I was going through the forums and I came across this snake. But the details on the availability is a bit old [2007]. I was wondering if anyone knew someone that breeds them, or works with them?
they are a really neat looking snake, needless to say.

I only have one adult female.....mine came from brian lazells litter

If you look in the Australian reptile magazine vol 3 issue 5 captive husbandry & breeding of the pale - headed snake...

cheers steve

I had a lone female for many years, quite a few years ago, great animal, great easy captive, fed well and settled well into captivity. It fed on pink and fuzzy mice without a problem.

Cant access the picture,could somone tell me what we are looking at please.

Thanks heaps elapid@. I can tell that it is a white headed,creamy headed snake.have never seen one like this before.What kind of snake is it?Do many pple have them?Oh and are they poisonous? (Knowing some of you guys like to keep the creepy kind)

Thanks heaps elapid@. I can tell that it is a white headed,creamy headed snake.have never seen one like this before.What kind of snake is it?Do many pple have them?Oh and are they poisonous? (Knowing some of you guys like to keep the creepy kind)

not poisonous at all. but they are venomous (elapids). No such thing as a creepy snake. Don't know anyone who has them personally, although, obviously others here do but i still don't think they are particularly common for an elapid. Their venom is supposedly about the same as a broad headed snake (i think they might be related also) does anyone know species name off the top of their (pale) head? Im not in a google mood.

good pic there greeny, beautiful animal.

...and despite waterrat's recent thread.. i'll just add - i want one

yes they are in same family as broad headeds and stephens bandeds. all three are the trio of "hoplos". Probably my favourite elapids to be honest. I love them, just gotta find a broad head hopefully this winter and have seen all three in the wild. Not very common in captivity no but there are a few getting around.

Hoplocephalus bitorquatus (Pale Headed), Hoplocephalus bungaroides (Broad Headed) and Hoplocephalus stephensii (Stephan's Banded).
All three have venom that is Hemotoxic (destroys red blood cells, organ and tissue degeneration as well as disrupts blood clotting) they also have venom that is procoagulant, I have no idea what that means
CSL Antivenom Handbook - Snake Venoms - Procoagulants

coagulation is basically clotting of blood, anticoagulant means it will make you bleed and/or stop clotting and procoagulant means to speed up the coagulation (clotting.. basically) process. this could possibly cause embolisms or thrombosis. pulmonary embolisms or stroke are the worst case scenarios from a procoagulant, but DVT and amputation of extremities could also occur as a result. I've never heard of the broad headeds or pale headeds causing any of these symptoms though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back