Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't get photos but on a bike ride had a big day found a fresh red naped snake, large brown, 2red bellies and 1/2 a kangaroo (smelt real bad) on the roadside all in a 5km stretch

IMGP1002_low.jpg

A Coastal Carpet Python starving to death. It is the worse case of starvation I've seen. I think it was run over by a motorbike or similar and hadn't died from it injuries. The worse thing was knowing it probably took a few months to get in such bad condition while it dragged its necrotic lower half around.

McGrimmis have you got any full body pics of that snake?
Afew more DOR reptiles.
V.Gouldii
171.jpg

V.Varius
175.jpg

V.varius, bells.
191.jpg

Pseudechis australis
195.jpg
acupple

Pseudechis guttatus
288.jpg

438.jpg

458.jpg

Pseudechis porphyriacus
417.jpg

and a beardie and bluey
267.jpg

470.jpg

And i think thats enough for today.

Shane

GreenRx7, unfortunately I don't have any full body shots. I Wish I had. It was probably 5 years ago and I still refer to it as an example of a 1 out of 10 for body condition. The snake was probably 7 feet long and had a good size head.

i have personally never eaten snake but i have eaten roadkill rock wallaby i thought shouldnt let it go to waste it was really nice.
anyone ever eaten roadkill reptile?
i might give it a go next time i see one unfortunately i see a few where i live

dammit, if id known this thread was still alive and well i would have turned around to take a pic of the dead cat on the road on monday!!!

made my day when i realised it was cat not possum!!

Im so glad when the missus and I drove from Perth to VIC (via NSW) we actually saw only a handful of roo's and even less reptile's, we expected alot more roadkill and thankfully were infact given rather clean roads, guess it was the hottest time of year tho so lessens the chances a little no doubt.

worst part is knowing there is so much more than these pic's and don't get me started on anyone who steers towards anything grrrrr

Im so glad when the missus and I drove from Perth to VIC (via NSW) we actually saw only a handful of roo's and even less reptile's, we expected alot more roadkill and thankfully were infact given rather clean roads, guess it was the hottest time of year tho so lessens the chances a little no doubt.

worst part is knowing there is so much more than these pic's and don't get me started on anyone who steers towards anything grrrrr

I really don't think as many people steer towards reptiles as people make out, In the last 3 herping trips I've hit or had very close encounters (to the put of almost dieing to avoid) at least 8 different reptiles from goannas to snakes, and that's while i have been looking for them. People who have untrained eyes for reptiles most of the time wouldn't even see the snake until they were almost over the top of them. And they're not going to endager their lives by avoiding them, like I would (and believe me it's freaking scary hitting gravel on the side of the road at 110km an hour).

So we shouldn't assume people diliberately swerve to him reptiles, because I know sweaving at the speeds to avoid them almost kills us every time, I don't think someone would do the opp to diliberate hit something. Not saying it doesn't happen but I dont' think it happens at the degree everyone states.

I really don't think as many people steer towards reptiles as people make out, In the last 3 herping trips I've hit or had very close encounters (to the put of almost dieing to avoid) at least 8 different reptiles from goannas to snakes, and that's while i have been looking for them. People who have untrained eyes for reptiles most of the time wouldn't even see the snake until they were almost over the top of them. And they're not going to endager their lives by avoiding them, like I would (and believe me it's freaking scary hitting gravel on the side of the road at 110km an hour).

So we shouldn't assume people diliberately swerve to him reptiles, because I know sweaving at the speeds to avoid them almost kills us every time, I don't think someone would do the opp to diliberate hit something. Not saying it doesn't happen but I dont' think it happens at the degree everyone states.

I agree. Even i occasionally run something over oin herping trips because i wont swerve to avoid them.

Agreed,the first point about how hard they are to see especially if not looking makes the most sense. Besides I have seen a Gwarder get accross a road and under a tyre so quickly anyone who could react to that would have some amazing reflexes. That said I have met some less than reptile friendly people who have said to me they would swerve to hit a bluetongue if they saw one, and I am in no doubt there are plenty of people that would feel a steering to get a snake in less than life risking conditions (Say only a half metre between a hit and miss) makes them 'good citizens'.

I remember getting out to look at a BTS when the car behind, towing a caravan and with considerable risk to himself, successfully avoided running the snake over. If he had an accident avioding the animal, then the chances are that the insurance company would not have paid. I've attached pics of the snake after I removed him from the road

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_25.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_25.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_26.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Colubrids_BrownTreeSnake_26.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back