Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So I am running into a few small elapids in the coming weeks and they were some of the first snakes I kept as a child and I'd love to see some more!

Whip Snakes
De Vis
Crowns
Small Eyes
Marsh Snakes!
The list goes on!

Here's a few of our more commonly found locals (New England area). We find loads of Marshies each season, even communally! The Parasuta Dwyeri are less common.

Nice! A few of my mates have Hemiaspis signata. Great little snakes.
I've found Demansia psammophis having an orgy once.
Crazy.

What are you getting Jannico? Id love to get some small elapids at some point.

Awesome :D im gonna be hunting down a BTS as my next addition. Preferably a night tiger. And some Common tree snakes but im abit worried about having to set up the whole semi equatic enclosure ect. Iv done it before for a colony of oriental fire bellied toads i had in the UK but it was just kinda a pain in the back-side to keep clean so im not too keen on the idea of jumping into that again. But i probably will lol.

That's a big Marshie, how often do you get them that size ?

Never jase75! This fella was reported as an EB, not suprisingly. Not measured, but very close to the metre mark; most are half that size.

IV you're skinnier than i thought you would be! :p

I have a YF whip and have owned orange nape snakes. I'm trying to get some young ornage nape snakes and C. pallidiceps. Not easy to find though!

You don't see Small Elapids in captivity much let alone Northern Small Eyes!
Will be great when you get them Gordo!

Jannico i;m keen to share some advice with you when it comes to starting out with small elapids. Start with really young snakes and with as few as possible, like one... two at tops.

Small elapids become flavor of the month pretty regularly. When they are you see alot of people, wanting to get in to elapids, buying half a dozen or so (just look at the similar threads below). They usually find that they are far more difficult to keep and far more time consuming than any colubrid or python and they go back up for sale within a year.

I've seen you say in another thread that they aren't difficult to get feeding, just different. That simply isn't the case. They can be/are very difficult to get feeding on anything and they die very quickly if they don't feed or are fed innapropriate prey items. I had a one ONS that i force fed for nearly two years before it died from the stress of it all.

Please don't think i am discouraging you, i just want you to do it right and enjoy these wicked little snakes.

naped snakes aare among the most difficult to keep of the smaller elapids

Hey Gordo

Thanks for the info there and I will be in touch, and yes I am going with a pair and no more for the time being for your exact reasons.
The bloke I am buying them off is very good with his communication and is meeting me in sydney to show me how he his feeds and keeps his small elapids. I'm pretty confident with force/assist feeding and rather than buying "good" looking Crowns I'm buying the most stable ones, they are "taking" food already. What food I won't spill out in a public forum.
By no means am I over confident though! I have sinking feeling that the first few weeks will be hard but the one of the best ways to learn is by example and experience.

I will be in touch!

Thanks Jannico

Last edited:
naped snakes aare among the most difficult to keep of the smaller elapids

Have you ever had any success with them? I couldn't get mine to even take a gecko.

I had a callout which turned up a gravid ornata and i managed to get permission to keep it until it laid and keep the hatchies. Turned out to be a massive turd instead... Was pretty disapointed lol.

you can get them to eat small fish like danios after lots of effort

So is the turd in a jar on the mantlepiece Gordo:)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back