Cat delema ????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

najanaja

Reaction score
Well im in a bit of a pickle here as to what to do? I will give you a little bit of a break down to get more of an idea of the situation....

I have a neighbour who has 3 cats, all 3 cats belong to one of their 3 daughters(each daughter has one cat each) who are now more at the age where there out and about than at home caring for their feline(20 ish to 22).

These people are NOT the responsible cat owners who i dont mind...

These are the ones who just put a tin of food out at 6pm and that is nearly their only interaction thay have with their cats...

Well to cut this shortish.. these bloody cats spend more time in my yard then they do their own...

I live at the base of Tamborine Mountain in a nice bushy area with lots of wildlife...

These cats, urine and poo in all my compost piles and make my yard stink, they eat all my dogs food and attack all my rats that i breed for my snakes, plus knock their cages over
they always try and go for my lizards that i have set up in my back yard..
they sleep on our cars and leave scratched up the bonnets as they try to get up for the warmth as my wife works nights so its a nice warm place when she gets home from work after midnight...

Not to mention all the dead birds, lizards and Tawny frog Mouths i get in my backyard because of them.

Well to cut this short, this has been going on for years, i have an ok relationship with them, but we really only speak once or twice a year, when i once joked to the father some time ago about their cats living in my yard, he said to get rid of them if i could, as each cat only likes the girl who owns it and arnt socialable in the house to all the occupants(sort of jokingly)

well the other day i noticed one of them at night in my Blue Tongue enclosure loving my heat cord, the next morninng i notice one of my babies gone and realized the cat ate or mearly just killed it for sport...

So angry but also as a joke i wrote on Facebook ''If i catch the neighbours cats in my yard again i wont be responsible for which one of my snakes eats it''

well with all the ''haha'' replies and do on i got..... One of the people who live across the road messages me and offered to lend my their possum trap to set up in my rat avery to see if that catches it as i am so over them every night herassing my pets..he also said the problems with his birds and their cats to he had..

well any way. i set it up last night at around midnight, and by 3 am when my wife got home we had a cat in the trap...

these cats are left to prey all night and they are always in my freaking yard...

MY DELEMA

What to do with it ?

I was thinking of taking it to the pound and see if they track it down to retreive it... if not that is a small win for me but not for the girl who owns it.. and if they do it will hitthem a bit in the hip pocket and it might make them think twice about letting their cats roam all night.

Then i have the option of talking to the neighbors about it and returning the cat to them ?

This is a good one but i know they dont give a crap about my lizards and rats and so on, and if they know i am trapping their animals they will just approach me every time there cats go missing, this to will make it hard if i do catch it again and resort to taking it to the pound..

Whatseveryone opinion on this????

Ps, these cats are even more of a pain than i got across here... they are just hunters and not friendly, they areone step short of feral....

You can get live traps off the council for free, just return them when you're done.

I'd trap the cat, knock on the owners door and explain to them that you have their cat, and they have two options.

A: Lock the cats up
B: They get sent off to the council to be dealt with

You're within your rights to catch a cat on your property and hand it in, even if you know it has an owner. They can't "make" you give it back.

(I wouldn't actually follow through with option B, I'd find someone willing to look after them appropriately.) But for all they know if they don't pick option A, the cats were dealt less than favourable cards...

I have it in my trap now......

i borrows the possum trap from across the road and it worked...

The reason I said council traps, is I'm not sure if you can legally trap something in a home made trap and be able to give it to the council.

well this is a council possum trap....

maybe i can ray the cat ate an apple and the trap was in my roof...lol

Well if it's a council trap, just give them the two options, and if they don't take the first one, give the cats to a responsible owner (if they can be tamed down) and let them think they were euthanised.

Or you could get them knocked off, but it's not something I'd do personally, even though I hate cats.

Get a dog :)

Should be easy enough to section off a part of your yard for the lizards etc and leave the rest for a nice dog.

OK, i think we are not focusing on the most important part of this whole dilema.... are the sisters hot? pics or they dont exist :)

i would go next door and say that you where trying to work out what was killing your lizards and it was the cat. can they lock it up or you will take it to the council next time..... or to save the tension just send it to the pound and im sure they wont bother looking for it and if they ask just play dumb

i have two small dogs already, but they are inside dogs...

and i shouldnt have to buy a dog just to keep someone elses problems out oy MY yard...

as for approaching them with their cat...

as i said earlier, i just dont think they give that much of a *****..

and this could cause more problems if i catch them here again..
or the people across the road catch them, or the cats just go missing,,,
they will always think it is me as i have traped them before????
and it may cause a bit of frictions...

whats makes me laugh is i feel like the bad guy in the situation...

i just dont want his stupid animals in my yard killing mine and native animals..

none of my animals go into his yard and i have lots.

see if he likes it if ''opps sorry'' my taipan went into his yard and started killing is pets?

OK, i think we are not focusing on the most important part of this whole dilema.... are the sisters hot? pics or they dont exist :)

i would go next door and say that you where trying to work out what was killing your lizards and it was the cat. can they lock it up or you will take it to the council next time..... or to save the tension just send it to the pound and im sure they wont bother looking for it and if they ask just play dumb

ugly as mate.. like they look more like fat men then young woman, and there twins are both woolies check out chicks...the other is average but chubby and not worth the devorce from my wife :)

Advertise cats to good homes, then catch them and give them to whoever contacts you.

ugly as mate.. like they look more like fat men then young woman, and there twins are both woolies check out chicks...the other is average but chubby and not worth the devorce from my wife :)

Gold..

Yeah sorry mate, just being silly my dogs sleep inside as well. You have to confront them or do something with the cats and as much as I hate cats they are somones pets. I wouldnt confront them with the cat you caught because as you said it opens the door to a lot more crap. I guess you have to give it to the pound or talk to them. Id have a chat and see what they say, make sure you mention that they are killing your animals and as shallow as it is mention the cost of the animals and maybe even up it a bit and ask if they are willing to compensate. I know its not the point but just to see how they react and hopefully they will take it seriously. If they dont I guess your left with the option of trapping them again and taking them to the pound. You could also see if they are bothering anyone else and do it as a group thing so its not just you. Good luck.

Just take the cat to the council, it sounds like it would be a godsend for your neighbour before the whole neighbourhood get out the pitch forks.

Just ask when you hand the cat in if you can remain anonymous so they don't come knocking on your door if they get a fine or charged costs to get the cat back if they are micro-chipped.

I think you have to resolve the problem with the people themselves, because you can catch their cats and send them to the pound, but what's stopping them getting more and the circle starts again? Give them a final warning, let them know you're not the only person in the neighbourhood tired of their cats attacking and killing other pets. Tell them that you and others will be setting the traps and taking them to the pound if the problem isn't solved.

Have you a creek nearby? I have a few spare Hessian sacks that I can send you and be done with the wretched things!

Ok, so that's a bit extreme but seriously when are people going to take responsibility for their pets, or in this case pests..

Of all the animals that should be kept under lock and key, the one that is the most destructive is deemed suitable to roam our yards, reserves etc. killing and maiming the reptiles, possums, birds etc etc that we all so dearly love..

Its illegal to have a dog wandering the streets, why is it legal to have these stupid animals doing so? is it only because they don't cause so much of a threat to humans? I guess so..

I'm sick of it, I could go on for hours but my point is cats should not be allowed to roam about reeking havoc wherever they want.. If it was up to me cats would be treated like dogs, if its loose, the pound catches it and said owner bails it out.. and in doing so increases the security of the holding facility.. reducing the risks of ongoing fines.

CATS STINK!

From what you have said, it seems to me that approaching the neighbours is a bad move. They are not reasonable people and all your approach will do is alert them to the fact that you want to get rid of their cats. I am sure you could do without the neighbours feuding with you.

Take Rissa’s advice and see if you can hand them into the pound anonymously. If not, do have a friend in the neighbourhood not too far away who would be prepared to do so. If the neighbours do not have ID on their cats, then in all likelihood they will ask you if you know anything or have you seen the cat. Be prepared in advance to answer this question.

It is probably best to keep trapping and get rid of the cats as quickly as possible. This is what would happen if someone else in the neighbourhood had set up a possum trap and was catching wayward cats instead. If you wanted to be less accommodating, you could use poison baits. At least that way the cats will die in the neighbour’s yard.

It sounds like the girls have outgrown the pet cat stage and have other interests to pursue. So the likelihood of the cats being replaced is low. If it does happen, then I would suggest the following alternative strategy. Set up an electric fence around either your cages and aviary or your property perimeter. You can actually hire them from stock & station places. I knew a chap who bred birds and he had no end of trouble with cats on the aviaries at night. He tried everything and finally set up an electric fence around the top of the aviary. They work on a huge voltage but at a low wattage and extremely short pulse. Once bitten, he tells me no individual animal returns. If you have ever had the misfortune to contact one, as I have, you’d understand why. My mate also tells me that you can be inside the house and still tell when you have scored by the volume of the reaction.

Good luck with it

Blue

Just take them to council and be finished with that vermin. Some ppl are just stupid which makes their cats even dumber!

Ok I say do this.

Tell the people what the cats have been doing, and politely tell them that if they dont take care of their cats properly you will take them to the council, or call the RSPCA or something.

Strange thing is that the laws about taking these cats arent always accepted. My mums friend cat napped the next door neighbours cat, as it was very skinny and not looked after, and always came to her house for food. Long story short, the neighbours found out and successfully sued her.

One option that you may not like if you dont like cats is to get a cat. Keep it responsibly and let it poo outside every so often, it deters them. But you may not like cats or not want to take on the responsibility then ok :p

Hey Mick, here's a few ideas mate...

Council or Animal Shelters
You are well within your rights to protect your property, so catching them via trap is legal, safe and humane. Once caught, take them into a near-by shelter such as the AWL AWL Queensland | Home to be re-homed to responsible pet owners, or the second option is to the council.

Motion Sensing Sprinklers
You can put motion sensing sprinklers around your yard. As soon as the cat approaches any area of your garden, especially close to where your own animals are kept, the sprinklers will get activated and soak it to the bone. Cats hate water and will soon get the message that there not welcome in your yard.

Electronic Devices
Another option is to make use of electronic devices for getting rid of cats. You have to place them in your garden or any other area that is frequented by cats. As soon as the cat nears the area, the device will get activated and release a high-pitched noise, scaring the poop out of it and never returning again.

Hot Pepper Oil
Buy a few dozen of the hottest peppers from the market and extract their oil. Apply it on the areas that are frequented by the cats. You can also make use of a pepper spray instead. Though it will take some time, eventually the cats will stop visiting your house.

Another option mate is to get yourself some pepper-spray. But it will mean staying up all hours of night to catch the buggers to give them a shot of pepper, they get this stuff sprayed anywhere on their body, it's gonna follow them for at least a few days and what a lasting memory that will give them ;)

Remember cats are very intelligent, so it will only take one or two nights of the above options for them to remember your back yard is a no-go-zone, they have a very good memory and don't ever forget!

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact the Animal Management Officer at the local Council (Scenic Rim ?) and follow the correct and legal procedure.

That is what you pay your rates for (to have animals controlled.) It is now a legal requirement to have cats microchipped and registered.
No harm done. You should not feel bad at all.

I know what is like to see the neighbors cat in the lizard pit chewing on the young lizards. :(

Good Luck
Sandee :)

Contact the Animal Management Officer at the local Council (Scenic Rim ?) and follow the correct and legal procedure.
That is what you pay your rates for (to have animals controlled.) It is now a legal requirement to have cats microchipped and registered.
No harm done. You should not feel bad at all.
I know what is like to see the neighbors cat in the lizard pit chewing on the young lizards. :(
Good Luck
Sandee :)

Sadly Najanaja, you are one of thousands who have neighbors with cats that roam. :( We have 2 council /possum traps in our yard for yrs. We have successfully had many many feral cats caught and put down.
A neighbour's cat we tried for many may yrs to catch...the the Animal Management Officer hated them too. One day we caught it in the trap, I was sooo excited! Unfortunately the AMO had moved to another council, and the new one took the cat and had it checked for a micro chip...1 1/2 hours later it was back roaming our yard and the street, after the owners paid a small fee.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::cry:
I could go on and on about how much we hate cats that are allowed to roam, and wish the irresponsible owners would keep them inside...As well as birds, lizards etc, they also kill a lot of the possums in the area, cruelly knocking them out of the tree, possum breaks it's back and are not able to fend for themsleves....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back