Cane toads threaten iconic king brown snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The populations affected will most likely recover in a few years time. As it has in the past on the east coast and some parts of NQLD.

The populations affected will most likely recover in a few years time. As it has in the past on the east coast and some parts of NQLD.

Completely agree, they take a hit then recover after a few years. They learn to avoid or become immune, it follows evolution but on a much quicker scale.

Fogg Dam - is a great story website on toads in australia.

The biggest suprise is that water pythons haven't taken a hit in Fogg dam, they're still as abundant as ever.

lets have a whacking day every week, 2 hrs every sunday arvo we all grab the golf clubs and pitch in :)
sounds harsh but so is slowly dieing from eating a poisonous toad, hell if ya cant take the whacking grab a bag and
pair of gloves collect for 2 hrs a week then CO2 their punk ..... :) imagine if 20000 people did this a week, with an average of 10 each thats 200k a week gone.....

A female toad has 30 000 tadpole, and the biggest predator of baby toads are adult toads.

Last edited:
killing females at the water's edge as this is where they tend to mate has the biggest impact....... the fat one being harassed by heaps of other toads (males) they are easy to spot....... killing them on dry land is pointless....... however still extremely futile.....

Policing every water source in QLD & NT for about 15 years doing this & hey presto !!!

easy ??????

lets have a whacking day every week, 2 hrs every sunday arvo we all grab the golf clubs and pitch in :)
sounds harsh but so is slowly dieing from eating a poisonous toad, hell if ya cant take the whacking grab a bag and
pair of gloves collect for 2 hrs a week then CO2 their punk ..... :) imagine if 20000 people did this a week, with an average of 10 each thats 200k a week gone.....

I like your idea, it is at least a start. Dettol works magic.
But I think that should be a bounty & kids & adults alike can trap or dettol or club as many as they like & get rewarded for it.

I have seen documentaries from people doing field studies & if we don't act soon! a lot of species WILL be lost. It has been happening for years & the evolution theory is bull & they will keep wiping things out as there is no awnser to thier pioson or control!!!!!!

Pick up a club or dettol TODAY.

I'd like to know if any species have become extinct from just canetoads and the populations numbers over the last 3 decades on the east coast species.

Have they wiped anything out?
Despite the fact they are ugly and out of control i don't see much difference between encouraging the wacking of toads and the shoveling of snakes.

Whenever it was raining the Pacific Highway used to be covered in frogs of all kinds
You still see a few but nowhere like the numbers you used to from North of Port Macquarie all the way to Port Douglas
Further South from Buladelah etc the numbers of frogs are still reasonably plentiful

There are many reasons for the decline in frogs
But cane toads havent reached Bulladelah yet in large numbers as far as I know; and the other problems cover all of Australia
So if there are many less frogs in cane toad areas???

I found heaps of frogs in brisbane this year.
I don't think canetoads are the main reason at all for frogs disappearance, but I'd love to read some papers on it.

Despite the fact they are ugly and out of control i don't see much difference between encouraging the wacking of toads and the shoveling of snakes.

They have just about wiped out Quol populations where cane toads are invading for one. In Central Qld I have noticed in my travels through a wide range of different types of land, that there is nowhere near the number of reptiles in this area now as there was 20 years ago. EG: monitors used to be very prevalant, now you harldly see one.
Now there could be many causes, but it is well known of the toxicity of cane toads to reptiles, & with the number of toads increasing & so their area, it is most likely they are the cause.

Now it is very different to club a toad than to club a native reptile.
A toad is an introduced species obviously causing damage to the enviroment & wildlife, whereas a native reptile has a right of protection to live here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not about to argue the point, but I will say that if you like the ugly piosonous cane toad then maybe you need a check up.

Cheers
Ian.

They're still spreading across the country at an alarming rate, and what's it matter if they haven't caused any extinctions as such, any ecosystem that encounters toads is going to be affected and not positively. There's no way in hell that they haven't affected widespread distributions of species, there have been studies on the morphological impacts on RBBs such as smaller head width - the individuals with smaller heads surviving to breed and produce genetically similar offspring is natural selection at work because they're pressured to survive by toads! They're an invasive species, probably one of the most prolific and potentially harmful in the country, should we just stop watching for fire ants, removing guinea grass and hunting feral pigs and cats? And whacking toads is, while not the most humane technique, in support of pest eradication. Shovelling snakes is the unlawful killing of native wildlife, generally performed by misinformed people who think they're doing their families/communities a favour and often done with fear and malice.

On top of this & talking about feral cats, in my travels yesterday just around the local area of Emerald I saw two feral cats, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY. How many do you think you would see at night.
There should be a bounty on those ba-----s as well, & furthermore every cat & dog owner should be made have their pet registered & desexed & if they are a breeder they should be made have a licence & kept within a closed compound, if they escape they are prey for everyone.
Now I might ruffle a few feathers here, but what the heck, you talk about protecting our native wildlife, this is what is needed & no deviations from this.

Cheers
Ian

You may find that it is mostly the people responding with passion about this subject from QLD or NT that have experienced the problems.

Dont worry Ian
We used spotlight them in Western NSW and Sa so they are pretty widespread
Nasty beasties
New Zealand has a huge problem with them too
The Kiwi is nearly a myth on the mainland now
Only place Kiwis are increasing in numbers [apart from Bondi] is on cat free Islands off the coast

Peter
It is at least good to see that there are others as sane as I am?

Cheers buddy
Ian

So they haven't wiped out a single species then?
There's a lot to like about the Canetoad Ian, rather interesting animal.
So the morphological effects have been proven to be a result of Canetoads?
As far as toad wacking goes, from what I have seen it is conducted with the same redneck mentality as snake shoveling. Killing animals whether feral or not in a calous and inhumane manner encourages a redneck mentality toward all creatures and sets a poor example.

No need to get personal either Ian, maybe your attitude towards other living creatures and the support of barbaric killing of animals for fun (even if in the guise of conservation) requires attention before my checkup

Good idea in theory, but each female toad can give birth to 40,000 twice a year. Let's assume that that's 50/50 male/female, so that's 40,000 females that can each give birth to 40,000 more females twice a year. Impossible to get rid of them, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back