Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedohara

Reaction score
what would be the better strat off snake a spotted python or a diamond or something else ??? thanks

Get an albino Darwin! That's what I did haha :p just get something you like the look of hey :) check out the hypo bredli! I reckon they look pretty cool :)

ive heard any of the antaresia group is good to begin with!
but its really up to what you like, just study up on what snake you like and go for it i reckon :)

there isnt to much difference in how you house a python, only size, get the python you like & do as much research as you can on that species... dont get something ppl tell you to get.. make your own choice, its going to be your snake to look after, so make sure its one you like..

go for what you like. having said that, if your choices are between those 2 and you can't decide on 1 then i would recommend the spotted, smaller snake so it is easier to house for a beginner also the size won't intimidate.

Out of those two i would suggest a diamond... Simpky because I love the colouring and patterns. My first snake was a murray darling and she is just beautiful!! A bit bitey but i try hold her every day so she can get use to be held. But I am planning for my next snake, and I'm looking at either a diamond or a jungle, both very beautiful snakes! Good luck.. Post some pics when you get it :)

So many ask the same question depends on what you can afford or if your comfortable handling a large python my first was a coastal very good calm nature

when i was looking into getting my first snake, in my research and general asking around i was advised that mds (murray darling/inland carpet python) womas, bredlis (centralian carpet python), spotteds and stimmies are all good starter snakes.

If you are only planning on getting one animal consider things such as the size which you will be comfortable handling (not just as a hatchling but as an adult), size of caging required, relative costs (feeding/heating/initial purchase) and any specific husbandry requirements (eg. do a search on diamond python syndrome).

I agree with what AM Pythons has said do your research and chose the animal which you like. Other people like to give advice or opinion but this is based on their likes or desires at the time (example your post asked spotted or diamond and the first reply recomended albino darwin or hypo bredli).

Remember this is a publicly accessed forum advice or recomendation may be given by contributors that have had no first hand experience with the species they are talking about and in some instances they have never actually kept reptiles at all.

Regards
Octane

P.S. No offence intended to those offering sound advice, just a warning with regard to the keyboard keepers that love to give advice but are relying on internet experience rather than actual accumulated herp keeping experience or reference to specific herp related keeping publications (eg the Keeping series by Australian Reptile Keeper Publications, Keeping and Breeding publications edited by Swan and Care of Australain Reptile in Captivity by Weigel just to name a few).

Last edited:
If you are only planning on getting one animal consider things such as the size which you will be comfortable handling (not just as a hatchling but as an adult), size of caging required, relative costs (feeding/heating/initial purchase) and any specific husbandry requirements (eg. do a search on diamond python syndrome).

I agree with what AM Pythons has said do your research and chose the animal which you like. Other people like to give advice or opinion but this is based on their likes or desires at the time (example your post asked spotted or diamond and the first reply recomended albino darwin or hypo bredli).

Remember this is a publicly accessed forum advice or recomendation may be given by contributors that have had no first hand experience with the species they are talking about and in some instances they have never actually kept reptiles at all.

Regards
Octane

P.S. No offence intended to those offering sound advice, just a warning with regard to the keyboard keepers that love to give advice but are relying on internet experience rather than actual accumulated herp keeping experience or reference to specific herp related keeping publications (eg the Keeping series by Australian Reptile Keeper Publications, Keeping and Breeding publications edited by Swan and Care of Australain Reptile in Captivity by Weigel just to name a few).

I don't see why you chose my post as an example? If you had read it I did say 'choose what you like' somewhere in there which is what everyone else has been saying. If you had read his post as well you would have noticed at the end of it he wrote 'or something else'.

I bought an albino Darwin as my first snake because I had loved the look of them for years, even before I considered buying one. When the time came for me to buy my first snake I wasn't sure to spend so much on an albino. I decided in the end to buy one as they were the only snakes I really wanted and I figured if I didn't buy it as my first I would have gotten one down the track. I didn't want to have more than two snakes either because I knew I wouldn't have the time for anymore. That's why I chose it as my first. I bought another one a few months ago so if I want to breed them down the track I can.

I suggested the bredli because I'm not sure how many snakes he has looked at and maybe he doesn't even know of any others besides the two he has listed? People are always going to suggest other snakes for new people to look at when considering buying their first snake. It gives them an idea on other choices. I know of many people who have chosen a bredli as their first snake.

All the things you have written in your first paragraph Octane are really good things to consider before choosing what snake to buy :).

Whatever snake you buy I'm sure you'll love it!

ok thanks every i have to try and talk my mum into letting keep one tho it shouldnt take long for her to give in tho lol just trying to see what people say what size enclouser would i need for a spotted python etc?????

Feeling up to a challenge? Jump in the deep end with a Northern Territory Water Python. From then on, any others will be a walk in the park.

To Grylls my apologies at using your suggestions as an example I specifically didn't name you as my reply wasn't directed or intended in any way as a shot at you personally.

My post didn't offer a recomendation for either of the species listed or an alternate for that matter for a reason. The reason is I encouraged research and added DPS as an area for investigation as an example. I would also like to add I recommend research on other species, sub-species and morphs for comparison.

I definately encourage broad research from a variety of sources so that a more educated and informed decision can be made.

Who knows jedohara may decide on a striped coastal, a run of the mill childrens instead of a spotted or even follow in the footsteps of Grylls and go the albino darwin for example, the amount of choice is huge.

The last thing and very important is to avoid an animal that is not healthy or reliably feeding.

Cheers
Octane

Most carpets are pretty much the same to look after (with the exception of diamonds)
So are all Antaresia. Consider a woma and a bhp too as they are quite fun. If you get a yearling you will most likely get an established feeder which will put less stress on your first experience.

If you get the basic requirements of these species right, you will find that reptile keeping is a breeze, eventually you will want to experiment with various species and fill an entire room with reptiles.
Just try not over stress about what animal is good for a first. Choose what you really like and you'll be fine and if you find a good breeder to help you along it will make life even better.

Have fun and welcome to hell :D

Regardless of what species you decide on remember one thing

Every single snake is slightly different in behaviour attitude etc etc
So for a first snake go out and see some
Play with them and find the one that suits you
Lots of breeders in the Newcastle area so you will have no problem finding one that fits

No point beating around the bush,straight up a 12ft Scrubby,you will either learn quickly or have alot of bit marks,just stock up on the bandages.Depends on if you want a small snake (2-3ft) or larger.Anteresias are suppose to be ok,however carpets are good also.My personal choice is a Aspidities,Blackheaded-Woma as they love their food,easy to care for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back