Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lgotje

Reaction score
hi guys
so i went to a mates place to play with some elapids ( was awesome loved every bit of it! ) and he was showing me some stuff anyways he showed me this gecko which i believe is part of the thick tailed gecko family ( correct me if im wrong i was overwhelmed with all the elapids and and other stuff he had lol ) and it was really cool looking now im pretty sure it was called a hammer tail gecko anyways i was wondering if anyone else keeps these and if they could throw some pics up also if anyone breeds these pls pm me
cheers
locky

This is not a common name I have heard before. If you are talking about thicktail group though that would be genus Underwoodisaurus and the only other species would be sphyrurus, they are a fair bit rarer in captivity than basic thicktails as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps, by the way many also refer to Thick-tails as being in the Nephrurus genus, i.e. Knobtails.

yeah underwoodisaurus sphyrurus.
i would love to see some more pictures of , only seen one

Oh by the way, just a pointer, when you say Thick-tail family, what you really mean is genus and if you would not awfully mind it would confuse me a little less if you used that instead.

Granite belt Thick-tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus sphyrurus) this may be it?

Oh by the way, just a pointer, when you say Thick-tail family, what you really mean is genus and if you would not awfully mind it would confuse me a little less if you used that instead.
lol no worries mate im a bit illiterate never finished skool haha

Hey kupper, I know they are, but why are they so rare in captivity I would have thought with all the success basic Thickies have these guys would have been bred fairly well by now? Just asking cause I know you know a lot about the gecko industry and thought you might have some idea?

I can hear a banjo playing ...... Ow you said illiterate not inbred :lol:

Hey kupper, I know they are, but why are they so rare in captivity I would have thought with all the success basic Thickies have these guys would have been bred fairly well by now? Just asking cause I know you know a lot about the gecko industry and thought you might have some idea?
I can't really comment on that as there not something I have kept or bred But being a cooler temp gecko similar to leafies I can only speculate that there not easy to breed Being uncommon also compounds the above issue , rumour has it that the original animals where snuck onto a fake licence to establish them in captivity , but the same was said about wheeleri so can't substantiate this rumours

I can't really comment on that as there not something I have kept or bred But being a cooler temp gecko similar to leafies I can only speculate that there not easy to breed Being uncommon also compounds the above issue , rumour has it that the original animals where snuck onto a fake licence to establish them in captivity , but the same was said about wheeleri so can't substantiate this rumours

Ok thanks for that, guess they still might get going in the future.

From what I've heard you basically need to refrigerate them to get them down to a cool enough temp to breed.

From what I've heard you basically need to refrigerate them to get them down to a cool enough temp to breed.
That's my understanding too. Rob Porter (Livefoods Unlimited, Qld) has published a couple of articles on them (one in the Gekko Jounral). It makes really interesting reading!! Placing them into a refrigerated incubator to get them to a cool enough temperature was the key to the process.

That's my understanding too. Rob Porter (Livefoods Unlimited, Qld) has published a couple of articles on them (one in the Gekko Jounral). It makes really interesting reading!! Placing them into a refrigerated incubator to get them to a cool enough temperature was the key to the process.
wow interesting stuff I might to go see Rob and hit him up about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back