So. Cairns, eh? Need advice please...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Cairns people, I need your help please.

From four seasons in one day to two seasons in one year; from dry summers to soaking wet humid ones; from the Australian mainland's extreme south to its far north:
I've finally lost patience with cold Melbourne winters and have decided to swing wildly in the opposite direction. Yes, I'm moving to Cairns.

The plan is to combine part-time study at JCU with a part-time job, hopefully earning enough to buy my own place. With a budget of less than $200,000 I know I'm not going to get anything flash, but I'm tired of landlords, their inspections and their arbitrary rules. I plan to rent first, then buy.

I've been doing my own research but nothing beats local experience. Pretty much, I'm looking for a real estate guide. I don't have to live in central Cairns or its more built-up suburbs; in fact I'd prefer not to. (My dream would be to live in a simple two-bedroom house in the rainforest, but I strongly doubt I can afford that. If anyone knows different, please let me know.)

With that set out, what areas would you recommend? Are there any areas I should absolutely avoid? Is there anywhere to live in the hills other than Kuranda, which looks expensive?

Any other constructive advice about living in Cairns would also be most welcome.

Thanks,
Renenet

Avoid the three Ms they say - however.... There are still some awesome places in all of them...

Mooroobol, Manunda and Manoora.

But even then - $200k probably won't get you anything nice there either :)

I moved away from Cairns because of the humidity, the extreme heat and the air conditioning bills... I found it is much easier to get warm than it is to get cool!

I do miss it - but only for somethings... Most I can live without.

Cairns also has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country - which is a shame really, because it is one of the most beautiful spots for 8 months of the year!

At least if you buy a house built pre 06' - it would have survived Larry... ;)

Good luck on the new venture to a warmer part of town,...At least your allowed to get a few more reps species than before ;)

Hi mate I lived in Cairns a couple of years ago (well Yorkeys Knob). There are planty of beautiful places
to live and really the market should be pretty good for buying, but the reason for that is because
most of Cairns money comes from international tourism and with the exchange rate the bum has fallen out of the economy.
If you can get employment then a real estate investment would be ideal. Too many places to list that are lovely you need to
check it out and see for yourself. Good luck!
Disagree with Slim on the humidity but I'm from Darwin so I'm used to it.

Yorkeys Knob
Am I the only one that cracked up at this?
Anyway, I don't really have any info because I'm a southerner, but good luck, I want to leave cold Melbourne too.

Thanks for the replies so far as well as the good wishes. Not sure how I'll go with the humidity. I didn't enjoy it so much at first in Indonesia but got used to it after a few weeks, although I did go in a milder season. However, I have managed to put up with Melbourne winters for 10 years despite disliking the cold, so there is hope...

As for employment, I am aware that might be difficult. There is a chance I can do some freelance work over the internet, which would side-step that problem altogether and be perfect for study. Stay tuned, as they say.

What's the particular problem with the three M's?

At least if you buy a house built pre 06' - it would have survived Larry... ;)

Good point. :)

What field do you work in, someone maybe able to point you in the right direction, give you some names?

The problem with the three M's is your probably not going to like your neighbours.

Hey Mate,

I live in Cairns, I would deffiantly look around before buying, as others have said avoid the M's

I would recommend renting for at least 6 or so months until you know the town and decide what area suits you better

Pm me if your after any info,

Ben

ps dont listen to Slimey, cairns is heaps better then New Zealand, at least we have snakes here ;)

Hey Mate,

I live in Cairns, I would deffiantly look around before buying, as others have said avoid the M's

I would recommend renting for at least 6 or so months until you know the town and decide what area suits you better

Pm me if your after any info,

Ben

ps dont listen to Slimey, cairns is heaps better then New Zealand, at least we have snakes here ;)

At least we have jewelled geckos here ;)

I would recommend renting for at least 6 or so months until you know the town and decide what area suits you better. Pm me if your after any info.

Thanks Ben.

I certainly agree that it's a good idea to rent while I research areas. I can definitely see myself heading out every weekend to open house inspections. I'm just worried that the Cairns housing market will get a rocket under it and then I'll miss out again. It's happened to me before, twice, and it's therefore really hard to be patient. :?

I'm really excited about the move. Well, not so much the move itself, but there's lots to look forward to once I get there. :D

ijust had an interview for a job in cairns over the phone i want to make the move too.

What job was that for, $P? Have you spent any time in Cairns? Good luck and let me know how it goes!

On that topic, and to answer Darlyn's question, I have no idea what kind of job I'd be able to get. My background, in the most general terms, is in proofreading and maybe document quality control - frankly, I'm not sure what you'd call what I do right now. I'm quite happy to turn my hand to most anything, however.

Hi I'm in Kuranda You could go the way we did & buy a housebus Then when you want to move its just turn the key. No mortgage... worse comes to worse you can pull up into a campsite hook up to power water for $150 pw.
I'm of the belief if you really want to work you'll find it just can't be fussy. Here theres lots of not extremely motivated people who seem to have no probs getting casual work so with the right attitude....
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back