Alternative Reptile Care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As you think of them keep adding bits in here and please feel free to question things
Natural remedies are NOT the answer to everything
But sometimes they can work pretty well

Ive got loads more buried away in that mush inside my head so questions might make me remember more

I havnt tried this yet on reptiles but in New Zealand there is a flax plant similar to the flax in Australia
If you pull out a few fronds there is an opaque jelly like substance there
Better than Manuka Honey for open wounds
Both me and my dogs used to get cut up a bit when we went out to get pigs
That stuff was better than any medication

Manuka Honey and savlon... Great for open wounds on snakes

This is awesome, sticky be good. You should cover feeding problems, change of food, info you keep on snakes, things you should look for as early warnings and what they mean, also be interesting to know different methods people use for cooling. I really like that people know so much on here and dont mind sharing.

Longqi are you talking about aloe vera plants? They will grow with almost no care at all and the jelly can be used for anything from burns to open wounds, it's amazing stuff.

Longqui, can you please explain what exactly you mean by "I syringed one chondro and one retic with powdered cuttlefish bone [stuff budgies play with]
then also added the powder to all their water"

How do you syringe dry powder? Or have I got it wrong?

Thanks
M

no not aloe vera its a new zealand flax ( harakeke) dont know its english name
you split the front and the sap/gel that seeps out is great folr open wounds cuts and alsort my nana used it on us kids growing up and i used it straight from the garden on my son ( hes 17 and in nz) for spots cuts and scrapes and stuff its great
will ask my dad if there is the same kinda flax here in aussie

hmmmm, raising humidity when a snake has RI.....I personally wouldn't do this myself.
If it was a virus, yes, but being an infection, the drier it can become the better/quicker it will fix itself.

Interesting.. Given the list(s) above, would anyone be able to recommend which I should use for some minor scarring?

I think my woma has got scarring from baytril injections :(
I'm hoping with a few sheds it will clear up and not be so noticable, but in the mean time would like a suggestion as to what I should rub on it.

Ok so different plant, they must belong to the same sort of family though. It's amazing what some plants can do, just with the sap or other parts. There should be a list of natural remedies and instructions on how to use them, anyone want to volunteer their expertise? Especially seeing as we probably have most of them living in our gardens already.

Flax has been explained now
Cool
I dont know the big names for most of this stuff

Waterat
sorry mate should have explained that better
I sat there for about an hour crushing the Cuttlefish bone into as fine a powder as I could
Then mixed it with water and let it sit over night
Used that for both the syringe and the drinking water but the syringe lot was stronger as they were both pretty crook
None of the snakes were keen on drinking the water but I didnt give them a choice as that was the only water I gave them
Tried it myself and didnt taste too bad

SM Morelia
Thats the thing that is so different about this RI treatment
Most Aussie vets get horrified when you say you up the humidity for this RI treatment
But it works extremely well
Best thing is that there are no residual chemicals left and zero side effects
Bactrim and Baytril are basically the same stuff
One for kids with throat infections etc
One for snakes
Anyone with kids knows Bactrim pretty well
Once kids start on it they need bigger and stronger doses next time

Thank you so much for this thread! And what perfect timing! A vet has just put my two jungles back onto their second round of baytril, which I'm hoping will work. But I'm going to do the steam bath as well, I'm at my wits end with r.I.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but anyone who has or does use flamazine on wounds, do you have any methods of covering the wound once applied to prevent it rubbing off straight away?

for scarring if i am wrong please correct me but wouldnt a vitamin E cream/ oil (with no perfume or nasty chemicals or scents) work i know it works on humans as i used it for a scar down my leg and when i was preggo with all three of my kids also used it on a cat and a dog once for helping soften and reduce scar tissue

I know for burns zinc cream doesn't go astray.

longqi, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post with the powerade tip and all the others.

Lee
I most definitely would NOT mix the two treatments
Baytril is used then the snakes humidity is usually dropped
Maybe Baytril needs that to work properly???

After the course of injections if the Baytril has not worked would be the time to use the bath

Vitamin E for scars is a myth, unforunately.

paw paw ointment is great to help shedding, i use a petroleum free one,..

Thank you longqi, the humidity is nil with the two being treated. They have five more days of injections, then we'll see how they go. Thanks again for all. The advice :) Glad you caught me on that

I'm skeptical of Baytril now.. Seems to have scarred my Woma. And I'm pretty sure I injected it deep enough - intramuscularly, not subcutaneously..

I'll be very uneasy about using it in the future if I need to.

EDIT: perhaps skeptical is the wrong word. Of course it works, it's a medicine.. It just makes me uneasy with the scarring.

Vitamin E for scars is a myth, unforunately.

I snapped 3 bones in my hand clean in half and it needed to be reconstructed with a TI plate. The vitamin E turned a horrid scar into a barely noticeable one.

Some pretty decent ideas in here. I assume these will be very handy for the herpers who are more isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back