Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please dont believe that for one second^^^^^

If you visit a breeder rather than a pet shop you will find hundreds of animals that will not bite
Same as with any pet the only thing that matters is called trust
As soon as any animal trusts you it will not bite unless you virtually force it to

i recently got my first juvi python who wont bite at all....
i would reccoment childrens, stimmies, spotteds if your after a small python, if you want it to hold definately get a bearded dragon, my young daughters hold ours all the time, even the 4yo holds the python

And if you're going to get one of those smaller pythons, get a (Wheatbelt) Stimson.. They look the nicest, IMO. It all comes down to preference, though.I think Stimson pythons tend to hold their colours
a bit better too with age?

Just what I've read from others on here.. I'm sure there are others who can confirm.

And if you're going to get one of those smaller pythons, get a (Wheatbelt) Stimson.. They look the nicest, IMO. It all comes down to preference, though.I think Stimson pythons tend to hold their colours

Just what I've read from others on here.. I'm sure there are others who can confirm.

unfortunatly it comes down to availability or price of them id love a wheatbelt..... or an elcho island childreni

Ohhh thanks Syner! He's a looker hey?! I'm officially no longer concerned with being bitten lol. Look how small that head is. Surely you'd be hurt more by a cat scratching you or a dog nipping you if you did happen to get bitten. But the concensus seems to be that in most cases if you look after your snake and he's used to being handled he generally won't bite.

Thanks Damian, just got your PM but then got distracted and forgot to reply lol sorry! I'm not a big fan of beardies to be honest. They're cool but there's something.... "generic" about them. If I went for a lizard I'd probably go for an angle head or geckos.

Personally I think the platinum macs are by far the nicest ;) but there price tag matches there beauty haha, so wheatbelt is the next best thing.

Hahaha I had to go to google to see what you were talking about. I was thinking you must have found yourself on the wrong forum and were recommending a mac computer hehe. Yeah, they are really beautiful!

If your thinking along the Wheatbelt stimson line we have a couple available from last years hatchlings if it interests you.
Pics are of a couple of the parent lines.

Attachments

• WBF.jpg
    WBF.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6092 copy WBs.jpg
    IMG_6092 copy WBs.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Ohhhh they are beautiful!!!! That's extremely tempting, but unfortunately my tank is still currently being used for fish haha. I'm not going to be ready for a snake for quite some months yet, I'm just getting in early with my research :D
For curiosity and research sake though, how old are they at the moment and how big are they? How do they go with being handled?

Ohhhh they are beautiful!!!! That's extremely tempting, but unfortunately my tank is still currently being used for fish haha. I'm not going to be ready for a snake for quite some months yet, I'm just getting in early with my research :D
For curiosity and research sake though, how old are they at the moment and how big are they? How do they go with being handled?

They are approx 50cm long and 8 months old. As far as handling its an individual snake thing, some dont mind and some do (this is across all breeds)
Stimmies are by nature a placid creature!
We are working on a couple of lines this season so will have new hatchies later in the year.

Last edited:
As far as handling its and individual snake thing, some dont mind and some do (this is across all breeds)
I meant for your particular ones :) Didn't realize there would be such variation even within the same clutch and upbringing, that's interesting! Makes them even cooler though, for having their own little personalities 8)
I'll have to keep you in mind down the track when I'm looking, very attractive colouring :D

If you visit a breeder rather than a pet shop you will find hundreds of animals that will not bite
Same as with any pet the only thing that matters is called trust
As soon as any animal trusts you it will not bite unless you virtually force it to
Wait what? We are talking about snakes here, not cats or dogs. If you frighten a snake or smell like rats, theres a chance it WILL bite you, no matter how much time you spend with it. And just because you own a snake that hasnt bitten you, that doesnt mean it wont bite. It just means you got lucky or youve been super cautious. I thought my snake was the most placid thing ever until he latched onto my mums finger.

Last edited:
if your still looking at getting a snake darwin pythons are a good choice they are a bit flighty as hatchys but when they get bigger they settle down a lot my 2 darwins are as placid as they come and have never bittern any1 my female doesnt even strike at the rats i give her. i get them out all the time to show people that not all snakes are bad.

People on here will tell you some species are more placcid than others....I have four placcid jungles...one...that is jumpy and I have to let her know it is me and then she is fine.....so go figure...jungles are supposed to be nasty and I have four nice ones.....get the snake you want if you want a snake....and research the line and go to a breeder that is well known on here.....
with a high profile

I would say the most important thing you need to look into is the keeping requirements.....if the animal is difficult to keep as a newbie you need to really prepare yourself

take your time.......and you are in victoria there are some really good breeders here in this state who will go out of their way to help you.

If you are interested in jungles PM me and I can give you some good recommendations. Have a look at some of my posts and you will see what my animals look like and I always say where they come from and who bred them

Kind regards

Elizabeth

If I were you I'd think about what I wanted to get out of a pet reptile. Something that can be handled? Something cool looking? Something easy to look after? Something with a nice temperament?

Geckos are lovely but they're not really into being handled (I'm sure there have been exceptions, but the majority of geckos don't like it.) They are also nocturnal so you won't see them doing much during the day either, and in many cases (especially with terrestrial species) you mightn't see them at all during the day because they hide away.

I don't know much about the dragon species other than beardies but some species (not sure about angle headeds) are not really beginner friendly so you'll want to do a lot of research.

Stop thinking of entire snakes species as bitey/placid and settle on a species you like the look of, that reaches a size you are okay with, etc. Then it's just a matter of finding the right snake for you. Even jungles can be placid. A decent breeder will happily help you pick a nice animal, you just might have to wait for one to come along. Whilst all snakes CAN bite it's pretty simple to minimise your chances of getting bitten most of the time if you're dealing with a docile snake. Just don't go snuggling rats before you handle your snakes, use tongs to feeds, don't startle them when they're sleeping and so on- basic stuff.

umm milk snakes and corn snakes can not get kept in Australia.... they are about as native as the rough green snake..... we have pythons and venomous snakes here.... (assuming you know that red bellies and brown snakes ect are not pythons? yeah??) i have a blond spotted python and she is beautiful, also four bredlis which are the most placid and beautiful snakes i have ever come across :) (do not fit into your small category tho) and a new (completely hectic, most off tap, viscous) nicest looking snake i have ever had jungle jag who is 15mths we just got him and hopefully he will eventually come around... any animal can bite you, cats have hurt me more then snakes... not to mention the green cheek conure i got rid of as she drew blood every time i got her out... owning a snake there will allways be a chance of being bitten it is something you will just have to decide for yourself Wether it is worth it or not... they only bite when they sense your nerves or feel threatened.. and only latch on if they are hungry it isnt like they are out to get up it is just getting your head around the preconceived notion of snakes being "scary" and "biting" you will be right... suggest you do alot of research tho :)

Considering this thread is 8 months old I would guess that she has had plenty of time to research.

Hi Kristen87. My thinking is that if u weren't so attractive in your avatar pic and instead a nieve 13 yo, whilst your thread is obviously a genuine one, some here might have branded u with troll or even flamed u for this thread.

The thing u have to remember is that it can happen.

Cheers and good luck with it.

Hi Kristen87. My thinking is that if u weren't so attractive in your avatar pic and instead a nieve 13 yo, whilst your thread is obviously a genuine one, some here might have branded u with troll or even flamed u for this thread.
or maybe 8 months ago people on aps weren't as bad at flaming people and calling them trolls for simple questions :):);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back