Skerrick

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_339

Reaction score
So I was talking to my girlfriend just now and I happened to use the phrase, "nope, not a single skerrick of difference"

she looked at me rather blankly, then asked me to repeat myself
turns out she had never heard and didn't know what skerrick meant, I thought everyone did.

Any thoughts people?

Anyone remember the word or uses it often?

Wow that's odd. It's not used in day to day discussions but still.

I would be surprised if only a skerrick of people didn't know about it.

Most sceptics are skerricks

And I dont mean to belittle them.

I have heard it and have used it.

I've heard it, and used it, I did however google it just to be sure I actually knew what it meant, turns out it is what I thought it was (phew!) I should really stop doubting myself so much lol

Ya I've used it. Most of my family have said it all my life. The only colloquialism I use that I've ever had to explain was 'wee' though, when I asked my Greek boss to pass me 'the wee ramikin'. He thought I was slightly mad. Regardless of whether or not that surmise was correct, in that instance his worries were eased after a short explanation.

well i've heard that plus my mum is a bush baby, shes from Iron knob born and bred so i've grown up with sayings that mostly people from the country /stations would know....for those SA'ers that know where whyalla is....drive another 30mins to an hour and you have Iron Knob!

......im with the girlfriend, & Kimberlyann......i had never heard it either!

well i've heard that plus my mum is a bush baby, shes from Iron knob born and bred so i've grown up with sayings that mostly people from the country /stations would know....for those SA'ers that know where whyalla is....drive another 30mins to an hour and you have Iron Knob!

I know Iron Knob well, I used to collect herps there back in ancient times when it was leagal!

It could quite easily be chiefly an Australian/NZ thing (I definitely had heard of it prior to going to Australia).

Which for some people would account for why they've not heard of it.

NZ and Australia have many terms that appear in the dictionary that are quite native to our countries... I know Esky and Chilly Bin appear in my dictionary - they mean the same thing... But I would never ask an Aussie for a chilly bin... and would never ask a kiwi for an esky - though the translation for us is easy!!

you have Iron Knob!

*snigger*

NZ and Australia have many terms that appear in the dictionary that are quite native to our countries... I know Esky and Chilly Bin appear in my dictionary - they mean the same thing... But I would never ask an Aussie for a chilly bin... and would never ask a kiwi for an esky - though the translation for us is easy!!

Actually I've got a good story about that term right there...
When I first moved to Aus my future in-laws, husband and I went out to dinner where we met up with a couple who (picking I was from NZ) started telling us about their travels over there. It had been bugging me that they'd looked familiar all night until they told this one, where I clicked immediately...
I served a couple in a gift shop I worked at once who made an apparently odd request. They wanted an "Isky". I tried and failed for a while after they kept saying "Isky" to understand what the hell an isky was until they finally described it, when (in their words) I finally clicked; "OH! A chullybun! No we don't sell chullybuns, I'm sorry, but if you follow these directions you'll puck one up there..."
I never told them that was me at the restaraunt though, but you've gotta love how small a world we live in. Our accents aren't that far different, but throw in a colloquialism or two and you get iskies and chullybuns. ;)

Yep I've heard it heaps of times... I thought it was just a normal word actually.

I know Iron Knob well, I used to collect herps there back in ancient times when it was leagal!
all thats there now Steve is spinfex, emus, kangas and half the old pool of people. pub burnt down, primary school closed down, the public pool got filled in and a memorial wall was built....you might have known it as 'Kittel Country" ful of all my rellies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back