Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A mate of mine has seen 26 in the wild, and yes just about all luck combined with spending a lot of time in the right sort of areas! The few times he has actually been looking for them he has never found them.

Saratoga, that is awesome thanks for sharing your photo of a Oenpelli Python, which is something that we don't get to see that often.

l know that in the not to distant future, the Oenpelli will become available to private reptile collectors, but they wont be cheap to buy at the beginning let me tell you.

l cannot tell you who will be breeding them that is very private and confidential, so please don't even think about asking me who it is that will have access to the Oenpelii Python's.:)

Ahh Les, you can't help yourself can you? Clearly, if we want to keep anything "private and confidential" it's best not to tell even you :)! I doubt very much whether anyone will quiz you about Oenpellis. If your post was simply to big-note yourself... it hasn't worked!

Jamie

A mate of mine has seen 26 in the wild, and yes just about all luck combined with spending a lot of time in the right sort of areas! The few times he has actually been looking for them he has never found them.

Gee, he must hold the world record. I'm sure many of the world's most experienced field herpetologists who haven't had any luck in the past 5 years would love to get out there with him! Must be an amazing man!

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a time when you can say this animal's name and a great discussion would follow. I guess those days are gone...

There was a time when you can say this animal's name and a great discussion would follow. I guess those days are gone...

Ah come on, don't be like that Gordo. We were just mucking around.

I would gladly sit here and read what anyone has to say about this magnificent species.

However, I don't think it will be any different to what has been said over the years:

• Can't own them
  • Krauss bred them successfully but they were snatched off him by parks officers
  • Some are allegedly being kept illegally in private collections
  • Taronga Zoo had a pair which died due to them being 'prone' to stress
  • TWP had one which they paraded around the country to different expos that died of apparent stress related causes
  • Everyone who has approached parks to obtain a permit to collect some specimens has been declined/rejected despite locals giving them the go-ahead
Am I missing any thing? It would be great to know if any one has actually been successful (no names need to be mentioned) in obtaining a permit to collect these beauties..

I'm wondering how many people have checked the metadata for GPS tagging???.........BTW it's a screen shot so locality remains safe!

The photo is a couple of weeks old now. Glad to see that good sized Oenpellis are still around....I haven't heard of one for a long time although I'm no longer hanging around those parts.

...... I think I recognise that tree!!

I would like to know what is the phenomenal attraction about this species. Everybody would want one (or 5).

I am not saying they are not attractive but all that fuss about what looks like an overgrown Childrens' python, too big to keep unless you're a scrubby et al. person, nothing is known about their ecology ....... and so on. As far as the "looks" go, surely a BHP, jungle carpet, diamond (not to mention GTP) are far better looking snakes. ???
Is it the rarity? The potential price for any offspring? Prestige? Just wonder.

I didnt know much about the snakes, so I did a bit of reading and it seems that they are a species considered vunerable. If this is the case why not issue a permit to one or two very experienced breeders to help increase there population through captive breeding. or "conservation through captive propagation" as its known as. It looks as if the biggest problems is people illegally collecting them, so breeding could take the pressure of wild specimens as well as give us a chance to properly study them?

So what happened?
Couldnt find any in that day?
Not enough time to organise a search party?
Or possibly some success that nobody knows about?

I didnt know much about the snakes, so I did a bit of reading and it seems that they are a species considered vunerable. If this is the case why not issue a permit to one or two very experienced breeders to help increase there population through captive breeding. or "conservation through captive propagation" as its known as. It looks as if the biggest problems is people illegally collecting them, so breeding could take the pressure of wild specimens as well as give us a chance to properly study them?

There's alot of people wondering exactly that.

So what happened? Nothing
Couldnt find any in that day? nope
Not enough time to organise a search party? Nope
Or possibly some success that nobody knows about? nope!

To me its all about the preservation of the species.

I agree Michael, they do not look that flash and apparently stress alot, be we need to set up breeding programmes to protect threatened species.
I couldnt give a fart if some bloke bred these guys and wanted 100 grand a pop, for me its the satisfaction that they may be given a second chane if the wild population gets wiped out.

I don't want any, i just want to get out and find one.

I would like to know what is the phenomenal attraction about this species. Everybody would want one (or 5).

I am not saying they are not attractive but all that fuss about what looks like an overgrown Childrens' python, too big to keep unless you're a scrubby et al. person, nothing is known about their ecology ....... and so on. As far as the "looks" go, surely a BHP, jungle carpet, diamond (not to mention GTP) are far better looking snakes. ???
Is it the rarity? The potential price for any offspring? Prestige? Just wonder.

To me its all about the preservation of the species.

I agree Michael, they do not look that flash and apparently stress alot, be we need to set up breeding programmes to protect threatened species.

You, Gordo (myself) and a handful of others have different approach to the species - we don't want any. But it seems that 500 other members here just want one.

You, Gordo (myself) and a handful of others have different approach to the species - we don't want any. But it seems that 500 other members here just want one.

Well i'll qualify my lack of want for any. If i could make a whole stack of untaxed, or taxed, cash out of them i'd be keen for a few. But i don't think there will be too many people to make any money out of them at all, let alone break even.

The same thing here. I would do it for the money, not because Oenpelli python is something I want to have in my collection. I would also ask for a government support, financial and in kind, to set up a holding and breeding facility that I (not them) would consider good enough to ensure success.

If even one of the 500 members (reputable of course) is legally able to obtain a couple of pairs and breed these guys and have sucess with a consevation plan and potentially down the track bring these guys into captivity, (not that I want one) then take my hat off and bow I will.

Last edited:
I have no interest in them becoming available to the hobby. My interest lies in the odd sighting of them. Mystique is everything with these pythons.

I was under the impression that the Oenpelli python grew to be as large as a Scrub python.
That's a whole lot of python to take on.
With all due respect to the scrub python breeders I think in the coming years we are going to see a lot of scrub pythons abandoned or sold for ridiculous prices as people who brought hatchlings suddenly have to contend with a huge, unpredictable, voracious python that they have seriously underestimated their capacity to house, feed and manage.
I'd hate to see that be the Oenpelli python's lot if it became available to recreational keepers.

I have no interest in them becoming available to the hobby. My interest lies in the odd sighting of them. Mystique is everything with these pythons.

As long as they don't become so mysterious we define it as extinct. I would love to see one but I am not a python man of any kind so I doubt I would ever want to own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back