Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heartbreaking :( We all love our reptiles and I understand the benefits of studying them, but all the same, it's a tragedy that so many gorgeous animals/reptiles are killed because of us. I have heard of people occasionally actually trying to hit them which I find stunningly cruel. I could not believe that story of the baby bird!! Terrible.

This was found a couple of days ago immediately after being hit. Strange time of year to be on the roads I thought

Poor red belly...
012.jpg

awwww :(
not so much as reptiles but theres a few roadkill pigeons in the area
oh and the occasional dead fruitbat hanging from the telephone lines (or is it powerline? hmmm)

It is surprising how simply some things change
I was doing a daily show in Cairns and an old truckie used to watch for a few days
Was waiting for a part for his truck to be delivered to garage
Never said anything except 'Only good snake is a dead one"
On his last day he came over with a few beers and actually held a carpet for a while while we yacked

3 months later he dropped by again
He had made up a simple poster saying how cool reptiles were and asking other truckies to avoid them when possible and had put these in every truck stop he went to

Agreed,the first point about how hard they are to see especially if not looking makes the most sense. Besides I have seen a Gwarder get accross a road and under a tyre so quickly anyone who could react to that would have some amazing reflexes. That said I have met some less than reptile friendly people who have said to me they would swerve to hit a bluetongue if they saw one, and I am in no doubt there are plenty of people that would feel a steering to get a snake in less than life risking conditions (Say only a half metre between a hit and miss) makes them 'good citizens'.
Plenty of Aholes about, did you hear about the couple of Pplaters, the police caught at Morisset, couple of months back, swerving onto the hard shoulder to hit the Roo's

Some recent DOR i have come accross.

Its allways a shame seeing DOR Grey snakes
s
149.jpg

this was also a shame i had to put this fellow of of its missary i rely like the tawny frogmouths, i dident hit it orignaly.
204.jpg

280.jpg

285.jpg

302.jpg

331.jpg

493.jpg

Plenty of Aholes about, did you hear about the couple of Pplaters, the police caught at Morisset, couple of months back, swerving onto the hard shoulder to hit the Roo's

Yes I believe I did, although I heard little about them.

Hmmm, I'll add a few, not quite the definition of dead on a road, but close.

View attachment 205349

Dead from the tree clearing process, unfortunately run over by a bulldozer and partially buried, reasonable sized Eastern Brown too as can be seen by the end of my size 12 1/2 boot in the second photo.

View attachment 205350

View attachment 205352'

Deceased perentie on a mining haul road in Western Australia

and one last one that's interesting, not actually DOR, but a very weak dehydrated perentie which was taken into care 100km away from site, large lacerations behind right hand shoulder blade, See if you can guess what caused it

View attachment 205358
pencil.png

This is a sad thread :( What makes me mad is when I have pulled over to help an animal get off the road and an ***$%&* comes along and runs straight over the top of them. I've watched a couple of blue tongues in this situation and a poor turtle. But a decent sized python crossing the road outside my house got himself scores of attention as 6 cars pulled over to get photos and have a look. With me there on the road standing over him I wasn't letting anybody run him over. When the spectators were leaving I picked up and took him further into bushland away from the road, in the direction he was heading.

79dfc227-9bbb-7ea6.jpg

I hit that roo two days after getting my new ss ute it did die I went back to have a look later as it was out the front of work.

79dfc227-9c1d-e48b.jpg

Hate any dead animal on the road unless its a fox, cat, rabbit or anything else introduced
Obviously its hard to try to avoid every single reptile, but especially hate it when dheads try purposely to run over snakes
Here's a freshly killed Bluey resulting from the ute that was driving before me

Can finally add something to this thread.

Here is some Wombat jerky we found yesterday. Smelt as good as it looked.

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 98
i of course, hate to see our beloved reptiles dead in their own environment, dead a the hands of humans, but this is now a fact of life that we can't change!
It is very interesting to see some of these animals, as sad as it is.

jedi_339.... what caused the lacerations on that poor perentie?

I rescued this guy off the road in a recent trip to Cairns, I was on the phone to a wildlife carer to organize for it to be dropped off. Unfortunately it died over night.

3ba7821e-7c3e-b0ac.jpg

3ba7821e-7c5c-b0ad.jpg

---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back