David Williams AHS Review

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krefft

Reaction score
For those of us lucky enough to be at the AHS meeting last night David Williams presented what many thought was the best talk they have seen.

David's knowledge and passion made his 2.5 hour presentation on snake bite in PNG fly by.

Thanks to those who came along and supported the night and commiserations to those not lucky enough to get there. You missed out on one of the best.

Now's the time to set the 26th of October aside for Bryan Fry.
Your only hurting yourself when you miss out on night's of this calibre.

ps The Herpetological Symposium this weekend is shaping up as a great 2 days. If you are interested in attending contact the organisers for current deals available

It certainly was an excellent talk. He could have gone on all night just about the herpetofauna (wasn't that rugose death adder cool!), but the human cost of snakebite was a real eye-opener. Those photos of the hospitals made me incredibly grateful for the Australian health system.

I am psyched for the symposium - a bumper week for fans in Sydney!

Was it two and a half hours? I was getting a little uncomfortable near the end(back) but I didnt think it was half that long. What I found astonishing is that medical facilities in the outer areas are on a par with those set up by the Kiaps (Patrol Officers) in the 50s and 60s. A rude hut and a will to help, not much else after 60 years!

Acanthophis rugosus, i now like! PMGH, and PNG in general, are extremely fortunate to have David's knowledge available to them. A very kind man indeed.

I would of loved to attend, but I have been sick. So, not everyone that didn't go, didn't just because they were lazy lol

I didn't go because I live 400km away... and I'm coming down tomorrow. Maybe by train if the weather looks too crappy for the bike... 7 as against 4 hours... oh well, at least I can read on the train.

Now - did anyone ask what the difference is between a 'toxicologist' and a 'toxinologist'?

Jamie

Toxicologist and toxinologist are covered in the thread leading to the talk, but no one asked last night...

Take the train, Jamie - the weather is filthy. Then you can read your book and herp magazines on the way home :)

I was engrossed in the story of iguanas on Hispaniola on my train ride back from the AHS meeting last night.

Cracking presentation, thoroughly enjoyed it.

The work David is doing is fantastic, & will be a major benefit to the people of PNG, considering the high instance of snake bite over there. The AV project was fascinating & I hope it continues smoothly & successfully.

It's also good to see the promotion of using effective treatment of snake bite before they get to hospital. I'd much rather a correctly applied PIB to some of the local treatments shown......almost as scary as the envenomation would be....

sounds like it was a good night. The search for a babysitter starts now, for next months meeting. Failing that i will kneecap my wife so she can't go to work. . . . . . . Maybe.

Thanks everyone

Hi all,
It was an absolute pleasure to be invited to speak at the AHS meeting on Wednesday, and I am very grateful to the Society Executive for this great opportunity.
Thanks for the great feedback about the talk, I was worried it might have been a little bit long-winded, so I'm glad people enjoyed it.
Cheers

David

David, are you still in Sydney for the symposium? We should catch up.

Michael C.

Not long winded, but clear that you had enough material for several talks which we would have immensely enjoyed. Such a tease! Perhaps we can convince the Society to have you back next year for a talk about the clinical trial of the PNG antivenom and progress on the polyvalent antivenom... (hint, hint)

I would of loved to attend, but I have been sick. So, not everyone that didn't go, didn't just because they were lazy lol

I got out of my sickbed to go. Still over 100km on the train would be arduous. Hope your feeling better.

has anyone got a vid or some thing of it?
I couldn't come but would love to hear his talk if anyone has recorded it?

There is already talk of getting David back next year. Partly for an update, and partly because there are so many people disappointed they missed it.
We had around 80 there, and if we don't get 150 next year something's very wr0ng.

Those photos of the hospitals made me incredibly grateful for the Australian health system.

our hospitals can be dangerous places for snake bite victims as well unfortunately... his little story about measuring the potassium levels incorrectly happens here too!

a very inspirational talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back