Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurtonReptiles

Banned
Reaction score
I was at the markets today and I saw the local pet store at the markets and blue to tongue dog biscuits in it food container *** last time I checked blue tongues where not dogs
3a6a1bda-9a5c-1379.jpg
3a6a1bda-9a75-f9a6.jpg

People need to learn how to feed there reptiles the right foods.

Dog food can be used as a part of Blue Tongue diet. It is not unhealthy for them. While they should also receive other food items it is a very easy food item to leave for the Blue Tongue to eat at its leisure while offering other more mobile items such as invertebrates only once a day or so...

I've got a friend who owns some very happy & healthy blueies and ewds and found they both love dog food. We had the ewds running around out the back when they got into some dog food left for the bluetongue. I've never seen them get so excited about food. Of course it isn't the main part of their food but some puppy foods contain great lists of vitamins etc.

I'm sure it's not legal to sell reptiles at the markets.Shop or not.

I'm sure beardies don't eat the fruit they get either...because you know...it wouldn't be in their natural range.

Im sure fruit drops to the ground and birds die and fall to the ground etc... and Lizards will eat.... off the ground....

That doesn't mean cows and chickens don't have vitamins and minerals that would be beneficial in the diet of a bluetongue. I'm not saying it should be the entire diet but dog food is perfectly healthy for bluetongues as just one part of a varied diet.

Yeah heaps funny ... If you read half the crap thats in dog food you wouldn't even feed to your dogs . Last time I checked I didn't see a blue tongue catch a cow or chicken in the wild!
It actually was funny - I even giggled. How is a blue-tongue catching a cow or chicken in the wild relevant? They can't catch alot of fruit either, but they still love it. Humans eat fish that are found in the depths of the middle of the ocean - if he lived in a 'wild' non-urban environment; then we wouldn't be able to catch them, but we still eat them -and they're good for us.

Yeah heaps funny ... If you read half the crap thats in dog food you wouldn't even feed to your dogs . Last time I checked I didn't see a blue tongue catch a cow or chicken in the wild!

Your blue tongues are just lazy then. I keep mine free range. Its pretty freaky really. If I go out to the house paddock at night with a spotlight I often pick up the pack swarming over a cow or lamb they just took down. Like a pride of bloody lions at times. All fighting over the choice meat. You should see them in action. A few go in to the front legs, trip the target prey over then they come in from all over the place and go for the throat.......

I suppose you don't eat any form of processed food stuff either.

Whilst the OP's beliefs on processed food being unsuitable for skinks may be a little uninformed, I don't think his desire to feed a more appropriate diet should be howled down either. In fact I commend him for this attitude.

Its just like anything though. Chocolate doesn't grow on trees but we eat it. I don't chase the cows or chickens either. I buy trays of meat from the supermarket. I use to give my ackie a once a month treat of a premium brand dog canned food - chicken or roo. Now he doesn't chase kangaroos but he hoed it down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back