Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomreptiles

Reaction score
Another aps user suggest this thread, I asked if he wanted to start it, but no answer. Such a good idea I have started it....
Ok me - in oz for nine years, have approx 30 pythons, wish nz had pythons:)
Would love to see how many other kiwis are out there, who have herps, it is especially interesting since nz has NO snakes whatsoever. How did everyone else catch the herp bug? I got interested because of a workplace that saw them and i overheard snippets of how long various snakes had not eaten for, a few weeks of researching had me smitten and amazed!

Been here nearly 4 yrs now. Told my wife I'd come here if i could get a snake so was that was out of the question for years Then on one of her visits over here to see her mum she went to aust zoo & plucked up the courage to get the photo with the big python there. Came back to NZ & said lets go you can have your snake So 3mths later we flew into Darwin.
She got me my rep licience for a pressie 1st xmas here. Sort of pushed the one lil snake rule tho hahaha
Got 2 olive females 6& 9yrs old & a pair of Coastals 4 & 5yrs
Now looking 1stly for a male olive & whatever else that comes along
I think my 3 yrs livin in WA when i was a kid got me into herps or else its I'm a snake in Chinese star signs so are drawn to them. Must say i do seek the warmth & hate the cold

Been in Aus on and off for almost 7 years now; I always loved snakes even as a kid, and never got to even see one in person until 2005. I love everything about them; the diversity, colour, mythology... everything. Reptiles in general fascinate me to tell you the truth :) We have a couple or three lmao...
Born in Christchurch, grew up on the Coast, then was dragged kicking and screaming over as a souvenir lmao. How about you, where do you hail from?

PS: I'm liking the avatars :D

Last edited:
Another Kiwi! Lol, I'm from the other Palmerston area; well Pahiatua actually, but not many people know where I mean when I say that, so I usually just say Palmerston North.
I've been here for 11 years now.
I hate to say it, but I was one of those snake haters. It's amazing what fear of the unknown does to ones mind.
Hubby always wanted a snake so I finally caved one day. Best thing I ever did!

Have been here for about 4 years and have always liked to have pets that were just a bit different, we got a blue tongue about three years ago for my son and have now become the owner of a Woma and Murray Darling.
Originally from Hamilton and had 5 years in Taupo before shifting over.
Still love NZ but would struggle to go back now (No snakes).

Unfortunately (Or fortunately) I moved back to NZ - Cactus2u kept my pythons amongst kiwis (thanks mate - how they going?) though I sold two to some Aussie lads too.

When I first got to Australia I was quite nervous about snakes. My first 'wild' encounter was by JCU (in Cairns) with a 4m scrubby! We were walking along the road (at night) and nearly tripped over this thing!

When I got to Cairns tropical zoo the first thing I wanted to see was the snakes! So my first touch of any snake was a beautiful olive python. And I was hooked!

But because of the cyclone and the earthquake (family in Chch) I decided to move back to NZ to be closer to family. So now (as of yesterday) I got back with my mammalian friends and got a beautiful collie/huntaway (a real kiwi breed) cross.

No pythons - yes that's true. But in Australia there's no jewelled geckos - we don't have as many reps and amphibians as Australia here, but the ones we do have certainly can't be overlooked! They're amazing!

Another Kiwi! 2 Jungles here. My daughter really wanted them and I just had to agree :D

No pythons - yes that's true. But in Australia there's no jewelled geckos - we don't have as many reps and amphibians as Australia here, but the ones we do have certainly can't be overlooked! They're amazing!

For sure! I did my first rescue over there lol, a whistling tree frog over on the west coast. My stepfather had it in a casserole dish and wanted to keep it as a pet; the poor thing had a bit of dry grass in with it. I convinced him to take it to the breeding programme in the Eco Centre there, where the kiwi house is.
I know a lot of people believe they're extinct, and there are certainly less than there were when we first moved over west, but you can still hear them on occasion. The call is so lovely and peaceful, it's a shame that some idiots thought 1080 was such a 'brilliant' idea. :(

I'm not a kiwi but my mum is, I brought my first python when I was living at home with my parents after a bad break up about 6 years ago. My dad loved the idea, but when I brought my first coastal home I had just gotten out of the car that was parked on the road and I could hear my mum hysterically crying out the back yard, I felt so bad!! But under the Vic license I had to keep him for 6 months ( luckily for me) she ranted and raved for weeks about him being in the house... she just got her license a few weeks back and has 3 of my pythons there now :D

another kiwi here :)
lived just out of Palmerston North, always wanted a turtle. one day some friends from our church gave me some skinks which I breed. but then for some unknown reason they all died in 2 days :'(
not long after that we came to australia, have been here about 4 years and have kept lots of species some of which I breed :)

hahah I moved to OZ so I could keep snakes........ many snakes now , hehe

I am not a kiwi but I am going over there for a short trip to photograph some of the beautiful NZ geckos. Do you know any private gecko keepers in north island who would allow me to shoot their animals? Please PM me if you can help.

We usto collect geckos from the beach in wellington , there where quite a lot under almost every rock , right down to the waterline.... No cool green ones though ;)

I am sure they have banned collecting now...

hi all am from nz been here for 15years but only got in to pythons this year got me some bredli m/f
and het darwin and in 2 to 3 weeks will have an alb darwin
cheer
all blacks are
woopwoop

I am not a kiwi but I am going over there for a short trip to photograph some of the beautiful NZ geckos. Do you know any private gecko keepers in north island who would allow me to shoot their animals? Please PM me if you can help.

Michael - I live on the Otago Peninsula where jewelled gex hang out. You coming to the South - I'll buy you a beer to make up for the cat calling :) Plus we can find some gex too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back