Golden Crowned - Whats the biggest you've seen?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_a_gecko

Reaction score
Called out for a golden crowned relocation this morning on the Central Coast, was a good size - was wondering what the biggest people have seen is?
P2050753_Golden%20Crowned%20Snake_2000px.jpg

P2050755_Golden%20Crowned%20Snake_2000px.jpg

Releasing this afternoon to a bush reserve next to the property the crowned was from, after getting a hand recording weight and length

-P

I didn't measure it but I saw a road-killed one that was very thick, about twice as thick as the average on you see, if not thicker. Also its crown was very obscure as if it had faded in extreme old age. Was a great shame that that one had been hit on the road as I believe it is probable the oldest I had seen.

Thanks, guestimates are the crowned was 75cm based on a quick size up on a tiled floor. Was trying to give tubing a go for a change to get a measure, snake was fidgeting too much for my liking, likely thanks to it being a nocturnal snake that was stressing from being trapped in the open earlier that morning in a back yard with a dog investigating. Leaving the crowned in a cool dark area till releasing this arv, will have another go at measuring then. Dont think this is bigger than your 92cm ones Col! :D

re Whats

The largest ive caught were in the northern suburbs of wollongong and were around 90 cms. When i found the first really big one i was surprised as all the others ide caught over several years in the same area were quite small and moderate adults,it was then i read somewhere that they are sexually dimorphic.

Thanks, guestimates are the crowned was 75cm based on a quick size up on a tiled floor. Was trying to give tubing a go for a change to get a measure, snake was fidgeting too much for my liking, likely thanks to it being a nocturnal snake that was stressing from being trapped in the open earlier that morning in a back yard with a dog investigating. Leaving the crowned in a cool dark area till releasing this arv, will have another go at measuring then. Dont think this is bigger than your 92cm ones Col! :D

You should give Herpmeasure a go

Do they ever bite?
We have the much smaller Cacophis churchilli up here, they put on a terrific display but never bite.

I almost got bitten by a Cacophis kreffti the other day, much the same as Churchills. But I haven't had one of these attempt to bite me yet.

this one was in a garage at Mount Colah Sydney it measure 670mm so is decent size

175290_10150143657311499_566876498_7967977_7392904_o-1.jpg

mini pocket cobras

turns out this golden crowned was 28.5in (72.39cm thanks, google) SVL and 168g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back