Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the deal is that not only can you have a chance of the treasure but you can also participate in the treasure hunt!

Not sure if I would want one?
Dont have the iridescence of the scrubbies
Pretty ordinary looking in my humble opinion

Yes I was lucky enough to see 2 live wild ones
Reasonably shiny but without the 'glaze' that gave amethystine its original name

We have a very similar but smaller one in Indo called a timorensis
Virtually identical except for size

As a demonstration snake they would draw crowds
But not as many as say an albino darwin

So how many potential owners want them because of novelty/new factor
How many really love the look of them?

I think one of the main aims is to find them before the cane toads do. Apparently many animals are falling victim to the migration of the toad. Have you found that Gordo?

Agree Longqi, they look like an overgrown childrens.
As long as there is a programn set in place to ensure the survival of the species than I am happy.
It seems that the whole "gotta have one because they are rare and therefore have a good price tag" draws people in.
Some people should not be in this hobby if they do not appreciate an animal for what they are as opposed how rare the species or trait, some people forgot why they got into this hobby in the first place.

When I first started I bought all kinds of slitherers
One of my favourites was a badly burnt Red belly rescued from the big fires in the 1980s
NPWS let me keep it because it was nearly dead
Wonderful wonderful snake that I used in free handling demos for years
Then I bought a Death adder and a Taipan
Too bloody scared to handle them so they just lay in their vivs
Sold them when I realised I bought them for the wrong reasons

Now I only buy snakes that give me the right vibes

I would like one if I could afford it :) I don't see anything wrong with keeping something rare, I like to have something that is not kept by every 2nd Tom and Harry in the hobby

Last edited:
I would like one if I could afford it :) I don't see anything wrong with keeping something rare, I like to have something that is not kept by every 2nd Tom and Harry in the hobby
Agree, as long as you are appreciating the animal for what they are, not the price. What happened to Dick?:D

l to would never ever want to own a Oenpelli Python, to me they just look like a large Childrens Python, l know they can change color to control their body temperature.

And l don't see anything special about these large Python's, who would want one just because they are so rare in captivity, and have to pay very high price for one not me.

l Remember way back in the early days when Woma Python's were just starting to become available in the pet trade, Peter Krauss from Nth Qlds said to me l better start saving my money if l want to buy a Woma Python, l ask him at the time what are they worth and he said $4000 each, then l said to him l will wait to they come down in price, you can now buy a Woma for as little as $150-00 a hatchling today, so l am now glad l did not buy a Woma when l was first told about them.

The same thing will happen in time with Oenpelli Python's, once they become more common in the pet trade they to will drop in price and be far more cheaper to buy so be patient and save your money just like l have.

l would much prefer to keep a Albino or pure Olive Python's, than a Oenpelli Python no matter how much they cost at the time, each to their own in what ever they want to keep.:)

Last edited:
So how many potential owners want them because of novelty/new factor
How many really love the look of them?

Agree Longqi, they look like an overgrown childrens.

It seems that the whole "gotta have one because they are rare and therefore have a good price tag" draws people in.
Some people should not be in this hobby if they do not appreciate an animal for what they are as opposed how rare the species or trait, some people forgot why they got into this hobby in the first place.

Wow, how quick some members are to shoot others down again lol

So..... consider this....... they are like a large childrens pythons........ how many thousands of keepers in Australia keep, or have kept childreni? So these 'drab' snakes appeal to keepers, so why not a larger 'drab' snake??

Wow, how quick some members are to shoot others down again lol

So..... consider this....... they are like a large childrens pythons........ how many thousands of keepers in Australia keep, or have kept childreni? So these 'drab' snakes appeal to keepers, so why not a larger 'drab' snake??

Why not. I agree. As long as it is for the survival and protection of the species and not for the novely factor of "I gotta have one cause they are rare" Jay, I thought you would be all for the ultimate protection of the species first and formost. Everything else can wait.

I think we can all assume that everyone on this site would be all for the protection of the species.

It just seems that as soon as some say they would love to own one, the opinion of ''people only want them because they are rare'' is voiced. Because they are drab snakes. Well so are many of the snakes we keep (well not me, i have pretty snakes hehehe).

It is likely to be a long time until "people on this site" can own one, however the opportunity does exist for keepers to contribute to the hunt so as to allow the animals to be bought into captivity for the perpetuation of the species. Gavin said in his talk that he had spent 300 hours looking unsucessfully for Oepellis. His slide show included pics of helicopters as part of the discovery process which can incurr considerable cost.

It is likely to be a long time until "people on this site" can own one, however the opportunity does exist for keepers to contribute to the hunt so as to allow the animals to be bought into captivity for the perpetuation of the species. Gavin said in his talk that he had spent 300 hours looking unsucessfully for Oepellis. His slide show included pics of helicopters as part of the discovery process which can incurr considerable cost.

So does 'joining the hunt' mean financially sponsoring the search party?

good and I hope it is not too late to bring these guys into captivity and not reduce the numbers of the wild population at the same time. I could not think of anything worse than taking several specimens from an area and wiping out that population from continuing to breed (irony at its worst)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back