Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good and I hope it is not too late to bring these guys into captivity and not reduce the numbers of the wild population at the same time. I could not think of anything worse than taking several specimens from an area and wiping out that population from continuing to breed (irony at its worst)
They numbers of many or the reptiles in Kakadu are already being reduced by cane toads.

So does 'joining the hunt' mean financially sponsoring the search party?
Yes , and possibly participating.

Wow, how quick some members are to shoot others down again lol

So..... consider this....... they are like a large childrens pythons........ how many thousands of keepers in Australia keep, or have kept childreni? So these 'drab' snakes appeal to keepers, so why not a larger 'drab' snake??

True dat Jay. I have pretty this, and moprh that but my hands down favorite is my boring as bat****** olive python. He's just the coolest animal I've ever known.

Wow, how quick some members are to shoot others down again lol

So..... consider this....... they are like a large childrens pythons........ how many thousands of keepers in Australia keep, or have kept childreni? So these 'drab' snakes appeal to keepers, so why not a larger 'drab' snake??

Jay
It was nothing to do with sniping or shooting down anyone or any thing

Question was asked
"would you buy an Oenpelli python?"
I answered and explained my reason why I would not buy one

Then I simply asked why others would buy them

I personally hold no interest in the species... but I do appreciate them and believe that the few working on them will open yet another "angle" to our hobby in the not too distant future.
"Pretty" has nothing to do with it. Enthusiasts will be happy to work with a new animal. I'll stick to my morelias tho lol

I own drab childrens, I love them...SO a large 'drab' children would be loved by me.

I personally hold no interest in the species... but I do appreciate them and believe that the few working on them will open yet another "angle" to our hobby in the not too distant future.
"Pretty" has nothing to do with it. Enthusiasts will be happy to work with a new animal. I'll stick to my morelias tho lol

Morelia oenpelliensis amigo! ;)

I think they are a fantastic snake and have loved the idea and hope of owning ever since the first expo in Darling harbour where I got to get hands on with the one on display, have been fascinated with them ever since. be interesting too see how much they will sell for when they hit the market. I think you will need to be in the richest 200 list to get one.......

I think they are a fantastic snake and have loved the idea and hope of owning ever since the first expo in Darling harbour where I got to get hands on with the one on display, have been fascinated with them ever since. be interesting too see how much they will sell for when they hit the market. I think you will need to be in the richest 200 list to get one.......

I think you'll be surprised about the price hugsta, I spoke with Gavin after the festival and put my name down for a pair. I'll be sending him my deposit early next year which will help fund the hunt for the first lot of breeders. The one thing I think a lot of people are forgetting is when do you think there will be another native python being brought into the hobby for us to enjoy and work with. I for one am very excited about this project.

In some cases I believe that rare species benefit from coming into 'the hobby'

Not only does it help to increase their numbers but more can be learnt about them.

I also don't agree that Childreni's are 'drab'. I quite enjoy the Antaresia petrol like shine and have met more than one childreni that had a huge personality for a little snake.

It could be an idea to offer pairs to interested breeders one a give back scheme. Say a wild caught pair are taken from x location. After they hatch a captive clutch, wild caught pair and 2 hatchies could be released back into x location. Effectivley moving them into the hobby, maintaining and even increasing wild numbers. Just an idea

As far as their market value goes in the long run I'd be very surprised if the outcome doesn't follow suit with other 'elitist' species. Initial market value would be extrordinarily high and after several years of the species being bred by everyday herpers whom compete with one another to move stock on a market that seems to have slowed markedly in recent years the price crash lands and doesn't recover. I still have an old Reptiles Australia magazine advertising Rough Scaled Pythons at $24,000 a pair for the first generation captive bred specimens a handful of years ago now. By comparison nowdays they sell for a little as $350 each for juveniles and have become fairly 'ordinary' on the market. Other species have followed a similar trend which I won't list now but 'roughies' are a classic example.

In "Investing" in the Oepelli project you dont only look at financial return. The project ticks many of the boxes, such as :
It will increase knowledge of the species ( and many other Kakadu residents caught in the net)
It will provide a captive population.
It will provide a fair return, (ongoing) to the traditional owners through eco tourism and royalties.
It may produce the opportunity to own an endangered reptile which is becoming rearer as Cane Toads increase.
It is just like investing in Greenpeace,The Wilderness Society or Rising Tide.The returns are longterm and emotional.

It's interesting to watch people throwing figures around, speculating how much they will cost ......... and the breeding stock is yet to be find. That makes me laugh.

I don't really mind whether I own one or not, however I would love to be part of the search,
for me the most enjoyable aspect of the whole project would be getting into the field on the hunt for the Openelli.

What happened to the ones already in captivity in North Qld?
Are they going to be part of this?
Always thought relocating to a closer type of climate may have helped in breeding them

They have been confiscated many years ago. You mean the ones PK had?

Sounds about right
Wonder if any survived the transition into government hands?
Might possibly be brood stock out there?

hahaha someone will have them, don't you worry...lol

When they are legally caught and bred, they will come out of the woodwork.

Sounds about right
Wonder if any survived the transition into government hands?
Might possibly be brood stock out there?

No survivors there mate. The adults and the eggs were taken by the NPWS gestapo and sent to some Auschwitz in the NT.

hahaha someone will have them, don't you worry...lol

When they are legally caught and bred, they will come out of the woodwork.

I don't think it will be so easy Fay, I bet you, anything that comes out of Gavin's breeding facility will me stamped, PIT tagged, DNAed, photographed and finger-printed by the NT gov. Which is not a bad thing. IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back