Heat issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty_k

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got the 100 watt ceramic heat emitter after the 50 watt wouldn't heat the tank past 22.4, now I can't get it past 26.5..
I think my light fitting might be faulty? I'm not sure. Should. Just run a heat cord to bump heat to 30?

What do you mean by "the tank" you only need the basking spot to hot , not the whole area

Last edited:
I have no problems reaching 37 degress for my bredli with just the heat cord, which is under the hide in her warm end. As for why a 100w isnt getting your hot spot to at least 30 degrees......i would definatley be checking that the fitting is working, cause that doesnt sound right, i am getting a 40degree basking spot for my beardie with the same size emitter. Goodluck, hope you get it all sorted soon, there's nothing worse then stressing!

The probe is about 15 cm under the emitter and the temp only reaches 26.5 frustrating would be a major understatement lol

Yeah it sounds like the fitting may not be working properly, cause as i said, 15cms from mine & ive got 40degrees. & i do understand it would be p*** ing you off!

Ohhh yes yes it is lol. It has to be one of the most frustrating things that has happened in the last 12 months lol.

Not to underestimate your frustration at all, but if thats the worst that you have had to deal with this year.....then you are doing alright! It probaly doesnt help that you have just bought the emitter, but i would look at maybe just going with the cord.....what are you housing?

Haha yea I must admit I have had a pretty good year. I'm housing a black and gold jungle.

First questions would be

Where are your vents?
How sealed is the viv?

Heat can dissipate very quickly if a heat lamp is in the wrong place
60watts should give plenty of heat for jungle if placed correctly

It's a glass tank with 4 vents along the bottom and then it also has a mesh top which the light sits on. The light is situated on the rear right corner of the tank

It sounds like it must be something with the fitting... Are you positive you're getting an accurate reading? Can you get a hold of a temp gun at all? I just say this as i have the exact same enclosure as you and i am easily able to maintain 30+ temperatures with a 60 watt emitter, so i have my doubts about it being the enclosure itself that's causing the heat loss... unless the room it's in is absolutely freezing...

The room stays at about 17ish degrees. It's my lounge room so it's not overly cold. I'm defiantly going to buy a new fitting today and see how I go. Seeing as you have the same setup as me, do you find that the mesh top gets extremely hot?

Not really to be honest, it's certainly warm but i can lay my palm flat against it with no chance of burning myself. This is with the lamp sitting directly on the mesh, with the heat emitter itself 2-3 cm off the mesh.

Hmmm well with the 100 watt bulb in, if I touch it with the back of my hand it burns. Should probably have tried to palm it seeing as the back oh your hand is more sensitive

Cover up some of the mesh top
Your heat is rising straight up and not staying in the viv

Also use a babies thermometer or similar to check the accuracy of your readings
Electronic temp probes can be way out

I might get one of the boys thermometer gun things from work that they use to check bearing temps. I have covered all of the top mesh except for 1cm surrounding the light. I'll buy a new light fitting today and take the gun home tonight. If the temp is fine and the probe is wrong then at least I have a spare fitting :)

Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back