Video Editing Software...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey there,

I just bought a new (cheapo) high speed camera. Can take up to 1,000 frames per second (FPS) which is totally awesome. The quality is low at this point tho.

But the 420 FPS (14 times slower than normal film) looks pretty cool. The 240 FPS is awesome!!

The only problem I have is editing the video - something as simple as playing a section in reverse... Windows Live Movie Maker is just too basic.

Are there any recommended 'free' movie makers - suitable for making video for YouTube - where I can use the high speed footage of me smashing stuff :) and play it in both forwards and backwards and super slow mo :)

Cheers

How ya goin Slim6y

OK- I work in the media/production industry; so I'll give you a couple of options.

The industry standard right now is FINAL CUT PRO. But it's expensive and clunky;

Then there is the program people who don;t know their stuff will recommend- Adobe Premiere. Whatever you do, DONT get it- it will crash your PC a hundred times, it doesnt have the features that cheaper programs have, and as much as I make lotsa $$$ from Adobe Photoshop- Premiere just doesn't stack up.

My personal recommendation is a program that used to be called Ulead. It was so good that it was bought out by Corel and is now called VideoStudio.

It really does rock- and I own a production company/record label, so I edit video ALOT

Go check out the Corel site and also Officeworks if you have it in NZ- it was VERY cheap (around $70) last time I was at Officeworks.

And if you have ANY questions- I love my work and geeking out so PM me and I'll give you a hand to find what you need.

Also- if money is tight- if you have a little look around in the right online places; I'm sure you'll find it ;)

Oh, and if you use freeware as listed above- well...you'll get what you pay for. THAT'S why Freeware isn't mentioned in the reviews !

I see VideoStudio express for around $80NZ and pro X4 for around $180.

Will I only need Express???

Ill just have a quick read of the specs now and let you know in a coupla minutes mate. What do you want to do with it ? Slow motion, reverse motion, simple effects etc I assume ?

Im sure you can get it MUCH cheaper, lemme have a quick look around...

Ok for what you want I would go THIS ONE

You can see the price there also- and you can download DIRECTLY from the site for half the price you just mentioned

If you scroll down you can see the variety of stuff you can do with it- it is semi-pro which means it will have all the features you will need without needing to render it for TV in super hi-res (ie, for clarity on HUGE screens), yet it will still import and export in true HD so even on a 50 inch plasma the result will look clear.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
HonestPirate, have you actually used Avidemux ? just out of interest, I like to know someone has used something before simply saying it's crap because it's freeware ;)

I didn't say it was crap.

But THIS guy did:

1a.jpg

AND THIS guy didnt like it:

1-1.jpg

Or this guy:

2.jpg

hmmm this guy LOVED it....
3.jpg

oh wait a sec no he didnt:

.......Ive got a nother 18 reviews I can show you if you like...

and THAT kids is why you don't give advice about that which you know nothing.

I can't give advice as I don't do any video editing, but.......

funny how the reviews never seen to cover freeware or open source eh?

Yeah funny that hey......

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 43
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I work in the film/tv industry. Final Cut Pro is a good choice but it is not the industry standard. Avid is what people use and it is much better. For what you need I would suggest Final Cut Pro. Hope all turns out well I love high speed camera shots. Pm me if you need any help :)

lol I gots pawned! :D
you still didn't answer my question though ;P
if I went off reviews alone I would have missed out on some great stuff over the years :p
but I'm too lazy to hunt down all the negative reviews of the programs you suggest ;P so I'll leave it be.

I work in the film/tv industry.... Final Cut Pro is a good choice but it is not the industry standard.

uh huh- not the industry standard huh ? I guess the first paragraph below is incorrect hey

Capture-3.jpg

".....This class will introduce you to using Final Cut Pro X, industry standard video editing software....."

I'm sure people use Avid, but when editing video for Pay TV music channels in this country we are often sent Final Cut Pro working files- so someone is using it. Avid is great; but FCP is not necessary- the guy isn't producing shows for Discovery channel; he just wants to throw some cool stuff on YouTube !!

I do have my Bachelor of Creative Multimedia, so I'm pretty sure I know a little bit.

if I went off reviews alone I would have missed out on some great stuff over the years :p
but I'm too lazy to hunt down all the negative reviews of the programs you suggest

You ARE totally on the money though Recharge, - reviews are subjective to experience - and there are some great free progs and apps out there- but when it comes to video editing it is a process subject to so many hardware and software limitations that in this regard it is MUCH easier to pick up a good program that comes with the support and capability required to produce glitch-free video.

But yeah- I could have found the same amount of GREAT reviews for that product- such is the internet- there's always a quote or a review or a site that can substantiate ANY opinion, hey ! Yours just happened to differ from mine ! Taken like a man though Recharge, you champ !

Last edited:
I said Final Cut Pro will be good for him and I am going off the american market as most of my work is from there.
Most low budget places like Pay Tv music channels and privately funded shows would use FCP and I have used FCP in those instances. But for bigger budget stuff Avid is better and works much better with other programs involved with a production. I like both. I choose Avid. For this dude I recommend FCP.
Each to their own there is many ways to skin a cat so to speak.
Also be wary of what schools say to market themselves. Both Private and Government institutions tend to use FCP which might be good but it certainly is not the industry standard in Australian film/tv and World Wide film/tv

My internet is only just back up and running... I smashed a lemon at 420FPS but relatively low quality unfortunately. But for the price I paid, I wasn't expecting a whole lotta mythbusters coming my way.

Going to go sash a coke can soon :)

I agree there are much better programs for high end stuff- but FCP is surprisingly still acceptable and can handle most TV gigs; at least until the consumer catches up and every home is running 16:9 and Ultra Uber Super Hydra HD and 100" screens. on Pay TV stations I can't believe how much work we get where they have filmed in 4:3 in 2011 !! Sometimes geeks like us though are running better hard/soft than some production suites; albeit without the big control room.

I think the reason schools tend to lean towards FCP is they have a pretty good policy on licensing for educative purposes; whereas Adobe and Apple are a little more dollar-hungry; so in many cases it is HALF the price to pay licensing fees to a company other than Adobe/Apple in order to use their software.

ps- here we are debating the tech merits of insustry standard software while Slim6y's out the back ripping billys with Shihad on full blast smashing lemons with a bloody hammer. !!!!!

top post honestpirate haha.
We can learn a lot from SLim6y
:)

First video uploading now... But was done with Windows Live Movie Maker - sorry... And the overall 'effect' is awful... But... I'm in experimentation phase...

Keep watching this space :)

Lemons - much better than the first I think... But wait till you see what comes next!

[video=youtube_share;NfSO6PwckzY]http://youtu.be/NfSO6PwckzY[/video]

And the next one....

[video=youtube_share;SKEnaYOKtxw]http://youtu.be/SKEnaYOKtxw[/video]

Last edited:
The vid was cool Slim6y but I found myself skipping through the matches one as there was a good minute of zero action looking at a box of matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back