Snake handlers in demand on mine sites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its good see they are teaching them how to deal with the snakes rather than telling them to kill them

My bf works in the Pilbara, since Ive got back into keeping snakes he keeps a watch out for them, the other day he locked up the truck for a 7ft Olive Python crossing the road nearly sending the crew through the windscreen ( normally they run over them but he is changing their views on snakes ). A worker got bit in camp at night by a Taipan a few weeks back, nobody knew what to do with it except kill it.

My bf works in the Pilbara, since Ive got back into keeping snakes he keeps a watch out for them, the other day he locked up the truck for a 7ft Olive Python crossing the road nearly sending the crew through the windscreen ( normally they run over them but he is changing their views on snakes ). A worker got bit in camp at night by a Taipan a few weeks back, nobody knew what to do with it except kill it.

You relocate it like any other snake found on site. All the sites ive worked on have had atleast one person trained to remove them and we regularly hear about new courses being run.
No Tais in the Pilbara, talking up the 'deadliness' just makes the big tough miners that scream like little girls when then see a Delma feel better :lol:

A good friend of mine Rob Spivey is the town snake catcher at a mine in remote N.T where I used to work. Being on the same shift and neighbor's I was involved in quite a few incidents over the years. Our boss, Rio Tinto had no drama with him leaving work to attend calls. Mainly saw olives,waters , and childrens with an occasional death adder

Well I did say I thought they were only in Qld but thats what he was told but as usual on this site I should have kept my comments to myself, as your all experts on what goes on in mining sites too I will leave you to it...

Why do I waste my time

Well I did say I thought they were only in Qld but thats what he was told but as usual on this site I should have kept my comments to myself, as your all experts on what goes on in mining sites too I will leave you to it...

Why do I waste my time

Hey bandit you're just relaying the story. I must admit I thought they didn't occur in the Pilbara, but wasn't totally sure. Pretty sure Echio is right, blokes talking up a terrifying snake experience.

All I know is he was told it was a western taipan and the guy was lucky to be alive, I will leave it to the EXPERTS on here to make it up as they wish

i work on the mines in the Pilbra and catch snakes part of working in Emergency response and if you get caught killing a snake you get kicked of site and would never work for them again due to them being protected under the mines environmental policy

Sorry it was a western desert or central ranges taipan, I just asked him

Errr no. You dont have to be an expert to read a field guide either, give it a crack, youll save yourself some frustration in future :lol: Try Western Brown on for size, Pseudonaja mengdeni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back