Snake handlers in demand on mine sites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how this misinformation spreads as well, I recently had someone tell me that Dugites were the most common snake on mine sites in WA's north, I corrected the person only to be told that the local Ranger had said this, whether he did or not doesn't matter it still lends weight to the story and makes it believable, so next time a Western Brown, Mulga, Olive etc is seen by a group of people it only takes one person with supposed knowledge to remark that it's a dugite and the myth is perpetuated 10 fold.
A similar thing happened down south last year where we were called to a site to remove a Dugite only to be told by a number of people that they were probably copperheads, Someone had started the myth and it had obviously been retold a number of times.

If you can't handle learning a few new things from experienced people here, then run away and bawl somewhere else bandit.
There are indeed plently of experts on here, after all this is a reptile site.

Interesting signature Bandit, the irony is almost painful.

Pretty sure nearly everyone I've met has claimed to have seen a taipan in their backyard. Or if it's a big brown, it's a king brown lol

I just wonder about the distribution of many species, whether they occure here and there. This is because of the lack of research on reptile studies, and as to what species actually occure in remote localities.

If you can't handle learning a few new things from experienced people here, then run away and bawl somewhere else bandit.
There are indeed plently of experts on here, after all this is a reptile site.

nor this

Is really appropriate or on line with what the thread was intentially discussing. These petty fueds are getting lame on here. Mods you guys seem to cut some crap from forums yet allow other threads to continue... Y is this ?

Unlike a lot of people on this forum, pilbara pythons isn't an arm chair herpetologist. He's clearly spent more time in the field and his back yard the pilbara than most. It's important to have wrong information corrected to stop the myths and ridiculous stories that people like bandit spread.

Unlike a lot of people on this forum, pilbara pythons isn't an arm chair herpetologist. He's clearly spent more time in the field and his back yard the pilbara than most. It's important to have wrong information corrected to stop the myths and ridiculous stories that people like bandit spread.

I completely agree... i think for the area he is apart of he certainly knows his stuff... what i am more getting at is that alot of threads recently are going no where FAST... starts off as normal thread and then a disagreement and then backand forth and back and forth.

I completely agree... i think for the area he is apart of he certainly knows his stuff... what i am more getting at is that alot of threads recently are going no where FAST... starts off as normal thread and then a disagreement and then backand forth and back and forth.

Yeah I see your point. I think Bandit should have just accepted that the story she was told was false or contained false information. I don't know Pilbara Pythons. But I have seen him on Dvd's and his name referenced on a number of occasions. He knows his stuff, and I asume Bandit didn't realise she was talking with an expert. However even I (just a hobby keeper) know that taipans dont occur in the Pilbara. I've spent a lot of time up there myself too working on gas plants and iron ore mine sites. I find the problem is most often that people don't like to be told their wrong (despite the facts showing that there are no taipans in the Pilbara for example). It seems to be a knock to their pride or ego. Really she should have just accepted that she was given bad information from people who don't know a king brown from a stimson python... We do have taipans in WA. Just not up there. :)

BANDIT05: perhaps get your bf this cheap book for Christmas. Field Guide to Snakes of the Pilbara, Western Australia, Brian Bush and Brad Maryan, 9781920843670

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious, more like internationally recognised joke. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story though eh? :lol:

Ha ha. Appropriate that his mark is at the bottom, much like a skid mark would be and made of much the same material. "The skid mark of Australian herpetology"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back