Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poggle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am making this thread to assist with people making I.D's of snakes. Have been alot of threads lately and people guessing at I.D's. So i am making this thread for it. Please feel free to post pics of snakes for peopleto try and figure out what it is. Please explain your reasons for guessing the snake. Experts please offer assistance in recognising not critisising. Thanks all.. Will post two pics up of my first snake of the day. Removed it from a work site. Got the call at work and had nothing but a zip bag. Excuse the photos, it was rather snappy and was trying to take photos on my phone whilst talking to another person on it... Not the best multi taker... But any ways guess away for this one... Should be too hard.

noone willing to have a crack
?

Attachments

• IMAG0068.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 432
  • IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I'll have a crack but based on the info and photos provided that is all it would be!

Based on the size(I'm guessing its what I think is a standard sized one of these bags), general body shape(long and slender), form(roundish cross section), and lack of obvious patterning, and the fact you said it was rather snappy, I would HAZARD a guess as a sub-adult Eastern Brown. Could also be a very large Yellow faced whip snake(although they are not "snappy") but cant even see the head in the image.

I don't believe any one can provide any evidence to positively ID this from the photos and info alone that you have provided.

Last edited:
Thats the whole point Toga :p I have clear photos, but this is for people to look at body, scales, description of attitude. etc. :D Head is in first pic and is look right at you :p

LOL Id like to see even the "experts" to get this one right without guesssing
That was half the reason y i posted it :p i love seeing people get in trouble for guessing. But that is what this is about. So let the guessing begin. Toga must say i am impressed with your diagnosis :p

Thats the whole point Toga :p I have clear photos, but this is for people to look at body, scales, description of attitude. etc. :D Head is in first pic and is look right at you :p

That was half the reason y i posted it :p i love seeing people get in trouble for guessing. But that is what this is about. So let the guessing begin. Toga must say i am impressed with your diagnosis :p

How can we do that, when you can't even see body scales?

ok obviously i can soom and see pics cleaer... i shall see if i can up load them better. Ill lgive location for hints ok :p Found in a "house" in a "suburban" area. approx 5ft long. "Rather snappy" no.2 lol

Ok thread dying fast. Snake was relocated from Kingaroy. Stop trying to be perfect and sound technical people. This isnt a death if i touch it thread. I know the breed. It is for people who may see on this much of a snake to have a guess.

The pics are so crap it would be impossible to ID,might as well of taken the pic of the bag closed.

Head is in first pic and is look right at you

looks like the head is buried in the corner to me...I can't see any indication of a head!!!

The pics are so crap it would be impossible to ID,might as well of taken the pic of the bag closed.

very funny!!! lets play guess whats in the bag.

In fairness the photos are enough to eliminate a wide variety of species(even though they are crap images), but not good enough to provide conclusive ID

ok i admitted photo's were crap :p... but as said earlier. it is for people to just guess. :p like when people post a pic of one sacle and guess the herp :p

Any ways it is a sub adult EB.

ok attempt with a cleaer photo

another work place snake

Attachments

• snakey.jpg
    snakey.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 312
  • snakey 2.jpg
    snakey 2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
This is not criticism, just a factual observation: if you post a crap photo, don't expect positive and reliable ID. It's simply impossible and also in some cases dangerous. Some species are difficult to recognise in photos if the characteristic features aren't there, even when the pics themselves are of good quality. Guessing and little knowledge are dangerous.

This is not criticism, just a factual observation: if you post a crap photo, don't expect positive and reliable ID. It's simply impossible and also in some cases dangerous. Some species are difficult to recognise in photos if the characteristic features aren't there, even when the pics themselves are of good quality. Guessing and little knowledge are dangerous.

all up for critisism. This is not a dangerous thing, as these are all snakes i have moved. I know the breeds. This is for those not dealing with elapids etc to see what shades of colour etc they may see when not seeing full snake. I dont mind people saying photo's are crap. I am first to admit it. But if you have better pics for people to pull apart and guess please do. I think alot on here could do with being educated. I am trying to find better pics, although i do not photograph reloacations really.

The orange spots on the belly, (visible in pic2 of the second lot of photos) suggest it is an eastern brown

very good sarah,thse spots can vary in colour also, and in rare cases be almost absent

I fail to see how this thread is educational. From the two crappy photos i can tell you with absolute certainty that the animal is not a Gaboon Viper but does that really teach anyone anything? How about listing the diagnostics then posting clear photos to illustrate them?

I fail to see how this thread is educational. From the two crappy photos i can tell you with absolute certainty that the animal is not a Gaboon Viper but does that really teach anyone anything? How about listing the diagnostics then posting clear photos to illustrate them?

I don't see much value in this either. There are thousands of good photos of snakes on the internet and in books & magazines with descriptions, why to learn from crappy ones? In books, you can see e.g. Eastern brown next to Coastal taipan next to a Whip snake, so you can clearly see them side by side and the similarities and differences are described. That's the way to learn to identify species.

alright close the thread then... i was going to use the thread to try and prevent all those wanting to guess on threads where people really need an id. But if it is to much of an issue clear it

Why does everyone have to jump on someone everytime a different thread is posted? Geez, I think there are so many people who are scared to post something on here for fear that they will get their head ripped off! I reckon there are probably some really cool threads that havent been posted because of that.
I mean for all of you "experts" out there who can look at a clear picture and go "pfft thats easy, its a southern dwarf crowned snake" (because they saw the gold band on the head)... how many of them would know what it was if they we only shown a portion of the body.
I mean, its a fun exercise isn't it? I looked at that picture and, yes I can tell a lot of snake species at a glance, but one of the common ones in a bad picture - This one made me look at it and think, ok no markings that you can see, looks like the body shape is not muscular enough to be a python, they scales are too big for a python, therefore it can't be a water or olive python. Difference in body width to head width suggests not a large scaly foot... etc goes on. I liked it, it makes you think a little harder on what you are looking at.

Thanks Poggle, was a good exercise, until it was ruined...

By all means, if you want to **** about and guess the snake from blurry photos, go for it. Just dont label it as educational, its not.
Wild Aura, most of the people who guess at ID's dont even know enough to reason things out like you did in your third paragraph, need to walk before you can run.
An ID thread that details diagnostics, lists similar species that may cause confusion etc. would be great, unfortunately thats not what this thread is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back