Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about posting clear shots cropped down into small sections?

What about posting clear shots cropped down into small sections?

This was my intention.. As i said the orignal photos i posted were crap.. I tried to crop before it posted and i failed ( not to techinical person here) There was no "wind up" intended what so ever and i am more then happy for people to criticise me :)

This was more my intention.

Michael and Dave i do appreciate your comment, both you guys are experience so i not disagree or debate. :) But assistance in what can be offered is a wonderful thing ;) Dave thanks for your advice and Michael i do understand where you are coming from.

Attachments

• snake id clear shot 1.jpg
    snake id clear shot 1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
i dare say keelback because of scales and being found near water

Correct. Keelback or Freshwater Snake, Tropidonophis mairii. The keeling can be hard to make out in a photo but it is visible in the full body shot, particularly posteriorly. In the head shot the loreal scale is obvious between the nasal scale and the preocular identifying this as a Colubrid (Elapids lack a loreal scale with the nasal in direct contact with the preocular).

Mr. Pog,

I believe your only real mistake was the title you gave the thread. It clearly created expectations amongst a number of users. I know that it did so for me. However, in reading the opening post I was made aware that you intentions were other than what I had expected. I might also point out that you used the term “assist” and you did not say educate – a significant difference.

I actually came across the thread before anyone had posted. I had a look at the photos and was annoyed at the poor quality. I then had a re-think about your post. The reason why I was annoyed was that I felt one could not give a 100% definite ID using those photos. At which point, the penny dropped. You were not asking for that – you talked about people who like to guess and those more in the know helping them out. So I kept my guess to myself and was going to contribute this morning.

Instead I had wade through a lot of unwarranted and unhelpful aggro. I note that it is often the same individuals with the daggers out and stabbing. It is disappointing that there is a percentage of individuals who cannot resolve their differences in a civil manner. You have made the effort to help others and they stand in judgement. Sending you resources to use or working with you to post material is what is required. Words are cheap. Harsh words cheapen.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Western brown or "gwardar"... length, location, shape of head, colouration

Incorrect. Gwardar, Pseudonaja mengdeni only just creep into the northern outer suburbs. They tend to be lighter bodied (size not colour) animals with a smaller head. The whole, scattered brown/black scales arent shown by mengdeni in this region (or any region?). Gwardar generally are 17 scales around at mid body, this animal is not (not that you could tell from the photo). This isnt an easy species to pick from photo unless youve seen quite a few of them and Gwardar to compare. Theyre the most commonly encountered snake in the metro area by far.

Incorrect. Gwardar, Pseudonaja mengdeni only just creep into the northern outer suburbs. They tend to be lighter bodied (size not colour) animals with a smaller head. The whole, scattered brown/black scales arent shown by mengdeni in this region (or any region?). Gwardar generally are 17 scales around at mid body, this animal is not (not that you could tell from the photo). This isnt an easy species to pick from photo unless youve seen quite a few of them and Gwardar to compare. Theyre the most commonly encountered snake in the metro area by far.

Doing better then me when i first saw it i was thinking Dugite :S

I note that it is often the same individuals with the daggers out and stabbing. It is disappointing that there is a percentage of individuals who cannot resolve their differences in a civil manner.
Blue

I take it you are referring to those that have posted so far in the thread? Perhaps a rethink on your stance Blue. Most of the people who responded are among the most helpful and, to my mind, experienced on this site and I dont refer specifically to Dave and Michael.
Perhaps you are referring to other threads.

PS, give it another go Poggle.

Thats the one, Pseudonaja affinis.

hoo rah. Not very often you see those markings about... i do like that variation though. Going by size of scales shape of head etc.

Here is another one then.

700mm. located with in the darling downs.

Attachments

• reloacte 8.jpg
    reloacte 8.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
hoo rah. Not very often you see those markings about... i do like that variation though. Going by size of scales shape of head etc.

Dugites are 19 scales around at midbody in WA as opposed to Gwardar with 17. Dugites are larger, heavier animals though they can easily be confused while juveniles/ young adults. If you dont have the snake in hand for a scale count a combination of location, colour/ pattern, temperament and build will be needed for an ID. Even after seeing hundreds of both species i still get the occasional one where their distribution overlaps that requires a better look.

Am I really the only one who has the guts to say that the first lot of photos was clearly an eastern brown just on size, colouration, location of the OP and the head staring up at you in one of the pictures?

yes the pics are not great but when ID'ing things you should not be expecting great pictures....... especially if the person taking the photos was to follow the other advice people love to give out of "dont touch the snake if you cant ID it"

Poggle I think the most important thing to educate people about on here is that you cant take anything anyone says for real.

Now for everyone who had a massive winge about the photos and said you cant 100% ID the snake in the first post, please tell me why its not 100% a EB and what other option there is......

Am I really the only one who has the guts to say that the first lot of photos was clearly an eastern brown just on size, colouration, location of the OP and the head staring up at you in one of the pictures?

yes the pics are not great but when ID'ing things you should not be expecting great pictures....... especially if the person taking the photos was to follow the other advice people love to give out of "dont touch the snake if you cant ID it"

Poggle I think the most important thing to educate people about on here is that you cant take anything anyone says for real.

Now for everyone who had a massive winge about the photos and said you cant 100% ID the snake in the first post, please tell me why its not 100% a EB and what other option there is......

You missed the party by 24 hours, do you really want to drag this **** back up again now that the threads on track? Let it lie.....

sorry your right. I just wanted to point out that it was not a hard ID and the people wingeing about the quality of the photo are infact idiots not experts ;)

sorry your right. I just wanted to point out that it was not a hard ID and the people wingeing about the quality of the photo are infact idiots not experts ;)

nathanci, unfortunately, you have completely missed the point. NO ONE winged about the quality of the photos, they are what they are. At last my comments were general in essence, not particular about these or other photos. You just didn't get the drift of some of the posts.
It's good that this thread evolved.

the people wingeing about the quality of the photo are infact idiots not experts ;)

and who are you?

ok so obviously ontop of all your other faults that irritate me daily you also cant read!!! the photo quality was mentioned a few times throughout the thread and was stated that a 100% ID couldn't be made from them because of the quality.

my post was not aimed at any of your comments, (although thats helarious you would automatically assume this) suprisingly you haven't been your irrational and annoying self up until now it was more for those who said the ID was too hard or impossible when infact it was very obvious.

not wanting to take the thread off topic just wanting to point out that it wasn't as bad as they made out.

edit: makes more sense why you even responded now...used the word expert....lol even funnier

Last edited:
What are your reasons for this?

I caught one two weeks ago ;)

but the white stripe on the nape, the greyish colouration of the body and the dark spots on the back and sides of the neck/head.

a picture from the top would show the ''broad head'' nicely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back