Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we did a survey through uni going back a few years now and there's a spot out towards Dalby where we did a pale headed snake survey, caught 5 or 6 in one night, they are very cool snakes

ok i admitted photo's were crap :p... but as said earlier. it is for people to just guess. :p like when people post a pic of one sacle and guess the herp :p

Any ways it is a sub adult EB.

ok attempt with a cleaer photo

another work place snake

Ok, so l'm here to learn how to identify a snake. I have no first hand experience. I know a head from a tail and that's about it. So my question is that you have obviously said it is an EB.. what is an EB

here's an interesting colour variation for you to ID

Attachments

• un ID.JPG
    un ID.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 104
I take it you are referring to those that have posted so far in the thread? Perhaps a rethink on your stance Blue. Most of the people who responded are among the most helpful and, to my mind, experienced on this site and I dont refer specifically to Dave and Michael.
Perhaps you are referring to other threads.

PS, give it another go Poggle.
Obviously the question was rhetorical. You have not waited for an answer. Instead, you’ve gone ahead as if I said “Yes” and indicated what I should do as a result.

Excuse me! Where in hell did you come up with that statement? I said no such thing. I intimated no such thing. Perhaps you need to re-read a bit more carefully. Whatever, I do not take kindly to people putting words my mouth and then giving me advice about what I actually have not said. I would appreciate it if this did not happen again.

One of the points I was endeavouring to make is that there is no need to attack or insult someone because you disagree with what they have said or done. It is not nice and it is not necessary. Some individuals criticised what Poggle had done without resorting to these other measures. I agree that hoping that all those in disagreement could go about voicing their differences without the aggro or the rudeness is being idealistic under the current functioning of APS. However, if it serves to reduce it by even one, then I shall make mention of it when appropriate. The comment was clearly directed to only those responsible.

I would like to point out that you suggested the opening post might look like less of a wind-up if it were a little less “hubris”. That is a particularly offensive use of the word. Would you be happy if I described your question as hubris?

A question for you... Is it acceptable to be rude or aggressive towards someone, without good reason, if you are highly experienced and have a well established reputation for helping?

Blue

I know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear! :rolleyes:

Anyway, here is one from me to make it up for all the rude posters and idiots.
The first two pics are of one species, the other two of different species. What are they and why?

i-Sv4Rgtx-M.jpg
i-n4VFVs2-M.jpg

i-4VnmCZc-M.jpg

i-M54NzTb-M.jpg

bottom ones are slatey greys :D ,the sheen and light colour underneath

did i get it?

Last edited:
The top one is a Small-eyed snake (Elapid) and bottom one is a Slaty-grey snake (Colubrid). They look very similar and had the Small-eyed snake sloughed before I took the shots, it would have been equally shiny as the latter. Slatys always have creamy coloured belly whilst Small-eyeds can have variable ventrals ranging from creamy to grey to orange. They are sometimes mistaken for juvenile RBBs, especially up here, the northern RBB morph doesn't have the bright red belly.

To my earlier comments about crappy photos; these are eye-pleasing pics bit still crap for identification purposes as they don't show the belly scales clearly and the pre-slough look of the Small-eyed doesn't help either. Also the head shapes are slightly different.

Good pics that highlight something so important so well but isn't yet mentioned. I wouldn't mind using those shots myself Michael for a powerpoint presentation I am curently working on if its okay with you.

No-one has attempted to ID my picture yet, so I'll give you some more info, found within South East Queensland, I do love the colouration of this individual, he's a nice specimen

Also Michael, very nice picture comparison between the small eyed and slatey grey, they get mis-identified as juvenile RBB down here in the South east too, I''ve never seen a specimen with such a light coloured belly

Good pics that highlight something so important so well but isn't yet mentioned. I wouldn't mind using those shots myself Michael for a powerpoint presentation I am curently working on if its okay with you.

Go for it Dave. And reveal the secret about the unmentioned highlight. I think I know what it is but over to you.

No-one has attempted to ID my picture yet, so I'll give you some more info, found within South East Queensland, I do love the colouration of this individual, he's a nice specimen

EB?

Please share as the only thing I can think of is the loreal being obvious in one pic, however it's already been mentioned.

Incorrect. Gwardar, Pseudonaja mengdeni only just creep into the northern outer suburbs. They tend to be lighter bodied (size not colour) animals with a smaller head. The whole, scattered brown/black scales arent shown by mengdeni in this region (or any region?). Gwardar generally are 17 scales around at mid body, this animal is not (not that you could tell from the photo). This isnt an easy species to pick from photo unless youve seen quite a few of them and Gwardar to compare. Theyre the most commonly encountered snake in the metro area by far.

Lol, I just looked at the photo again, and read this post and laughed because I was thinking dugite as the animal (the brown found in suburban Perth) but the gwardar kept popping up in my head. I think I was confusing myself. But anyways, I would have been wrong either way. It does look like the dugite... although in saying that, this is pulling knowledge from 15 years ago living in Perth, then moving inland 400km, where western browns are everywhere... I think I should keep my mouth shut lol.
So P. mengdeni? That ones new? What is the common name? I've got to keep up with this stuff lol

Echiopsis, on an earlier ID 1st page.

Here's one
Scales 14 at midbody, found in SW of W..A.

_DSC0053.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back