Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D. plebia is the other possibility. The bands on D. torquata and D. tincta can look almost identical, except for one critical difference...

I throw this in for a good measure.

i-HNJRCzG-L.jpg

6591888705_1e821d8cff_b.jpg

Delma plebia

6591889887_4ace81c1a3_b.jpg

Delma tincta

both torquata and plebia have 2 pre anal scales.....and tincta have 3

torquata have a marbled throat (apparently it can be used for identification of individual specimens)

The shot up the top was indeed a torquata.

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
I think I have an advantage with that one Watterat.

Scott, It was the markings on the throat I was referring to as they were partly visible.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I throw this in for a good measure.

Demansia torquata (collared whipsnake). What does "torquata" mean?

Now I have to figure out how to tell the difference between "legless" lizards and snakes. Ear holes would be one, as would the tongue, but sometimes they're not showing or not clear in pictures. Does anyone know any other ways?

Renenet,
Differences between Pygopods and snakes, other than ear opening (if present) are...
The tongue is flat and broad, not forked.
There are remnant rear limb flaps (often held close to the body and difficult to see).
The ventral scales are not broad and expanded but are similar in size to other body scales.
The tail is at least as long as the body and often much longer, whereas snakes have a much shorter tail, nowhere near as long as he body.

And "torquata" means "collared" usually in reference to markings around the neck.

Blue

Ok here is another one.

850mm Victoria

Yes its definately a Lowland Copperhead...how do I know?? Because I TOOK THE PHOTO!!!

Would have been nice to acknowledge you were using someone elses image you pinched from the web!

What is this little fellow we just snapped?

Hello all, I hope this is ok to post here. Could someone more knowledgeable then me identify this little fellow we just found slithering around the house. Approx 2feet long, very slender, patterned brown. I followed him around the house and then he slithered sideways off the verandah and into the garden. We get a few around here at night, especially when it is stinking hot like it is now, (have to remember to stop walking outside without turning on lights like I always do!)

Kind Regards
Ray

DSCF9278.jpgDSCF9277.jpgDSCF9276.jpg

Cool, thanks. We've had a couple of Keelbacks coming up from the "swamp" down the back before, although they were much larger than this one. He'll have fun in our garden, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back