Lose Wheat Lose Weight and other food issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Recently I posted in the New Years Resolution for 2012 about how I have cut all the wheat and a lot of the dairy out of my diet and how I have been losing weight (the weight is literally falling off me). I also have salicylate Intolerance and very bad hay fever....the Salycilate Intolerance is heaps better and my hayfever has vanished....all from this change in my diet.

I have had a few people message me with stories to tell about their diet and particularly about unexplained weight gain etc and I wondered if it might be nice to start a thread and a whinge session....about food.....food additives and how people cope with our 'modern' diet and all it's challenges !

Elizabeth

just remember, just because it made a difference for you, doesn't mean it will for others, wheat is not some bad *** food stuff that makes people fat, some people just can't metabolise it properly.

I'll have a whinge about parents feeding there kids processed foods. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE SO MANY FAT AND WILD KIDS IN CLASSROOMS! I'm not saying feed organic or anything like that or that your kids can't have lollies everynow and then, but try putting that packet of chips aside and give your kids a god dam apple for once!

I've had a gluten allergy for years. I have to agree removing the wheat made a huge difference for me. Mind you it meant a whole change for everything in my family. The shopping is probably the hardest and eating out.

Yep I agree
When I first ook wheat our of my diet I felt so odd and I was at work one day and I had eaten a tin of tuna an apple and a banana and some grapes for lunch and I was really full...but because of the low GI I went on like a sugar bender and all I felt like doing was eating sugar and I must have looked terrible as all the girls were really concerned about me as I was walking around in circles saying....I will not eat a chocolate biscuit I will not eat a chocolate biscuit....but it has passed now and I dont get those sugar cravings anyore and I am really good in myself.

My mother-in-law has severe coeliac (gluten allergy). As it was not diagnosed for so long (was probably mid 40s) due to it being unknown that the irreversible damage done to her digestive system has left her extremely sensitive to anything containing/slightly contaminated with glutenous products (and that is almost everything processed) to the point where she will throw up again and again. She gets contaminated so often when eating out. Latest one was from the lime cordial in a lemon lime and bitters, she wasnt aware there was cordial instead of real lime, and so she turned into Chucky again. Very extreme case though.

I could never cut the dairy or wheat out of my diet, so well done to you! And now persevere :D
Our family goes through 30 litres of milk and 5kg of oats every week lol. (Porridge every school day, and mind you I'm one of 8 kids)

I don't technically have any allergies to foods, but I seem to have a severe intolerance for any sort of processed food. I consider it a good thing. I was sent to a primary school where we had actual, quality vegetarian meals made for us that very day, and my mum is a bit of a health freak :p In other words I ate almost nothing but brown rice and vegetables for 7 years... so I guess my body has become accustomed to it, and my body is naturally sensitive to a lot of things... I am so glad that I was sent there!

I now go to an everyday high school, and I actually cannot believe some of the things I see in some people's lunchboxes...
I still take actual food to school, food that has not been thrown together by a machine and wrapped in colourful packaging.
I am proud of not having this appproach. It may be socially unacceptable, but so is my hobby to quite a few...
I know very few people at my school that are like me, most are happy with their muesli bars, up n go's and the cheese stringers..
Oh well, it's a good thing teenagers are invincible...

I've been on the seafood diet for quite some time now, it works for me.

I'll have a whinge about parents feeding there kids processed foods. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE SO MANY FAT AND WILD KIDS IN CLASSROOMS! I'm not saying feed organic or anything like that or that your kids can't have lollies everynow and then, but try putting that packet of chips aside and give your kids a god dam apple for once!

I'll see your parent and processed food whinge and raise you a 'kindergarten lunch policy' whinge... no nuts I can understand, but I'm also not allowed to pack yoghurt, carrot sticks, fruit-salads... basically anything other people's kids could make a mess with or choke on. The only reason I can think of for it is that many parents apparently don't teach their children how to a/ hit their mouth with a spoon and/or finish their meals, and b/ chew before they swallow.
The day my boys sultanas got sent back with a note saying 'choking hazard' was very nearly the last straw. It's a good thing my kids aren't picky eaters so I can be creative with their lunches :D

I used to be very fit, but since getting married and getting a desk job I have put on a fair bit of weight. Back in my teenage years I was always the skinny one, didn't matter what I ate or how much, never put any weight on! Those were the good days.. anyways so I've tried a few diets since then and the low carb/high protein diet along with excercise worked the best for me.

I have just started the P90x program, it seems like a cracker! Will try and stick with it for the full 90 days and see what the results are like.

The key to losing weight.

High protein, low carb (eat whole meal bread if you going to eat bread), no sugar, reduced salt intake, reduce alcohol consumption, lots of green vegetables. Don't go for low fat products as in general they are much higher in either sugar or salt to get the flavour right. Avoid animal fats for cooking aim for vegetable oils.

I recommend getting the "body trim" diet advertised on tv. My brother bought it, it isn't a gimmick. Its outlines in detail what I shortned in the first paragraph. The idea is that it's a change of lifestyle vs a lose weight quick scheme. I lost 21kgs over 7 months, I fell great you don't realize the impact it was having. I am 188cm and was 112kg, I am down to 91kg and have kept it off for about 6 months and counting, I found a little over Xmas (5 cases of beer + pudding will do that lol)

Got any questions ask or PM me.

That is ridiculous! I'd be having a good whinge to the school baord/council about that.

But no joke that is the mentality of some parents in mainstream society. I've even had one father tell me that he thinks that kids should be starting school at 3 (that part of his wish has come true) and we should be toilet training kids and all that other Jazz. I asked him if he wanted the ladies to give birth to his kids too... he didn't get it lol.

I'll see your parent and processed food whinge and raise you a 'kindergarten lunch policy' whinge... no nuts I can understand, but I'm also not allowed to pack yoghurt, carrot sticks, fruit-salads... basically anything other people's kids could make a mess with or choke on. The only reason I can think of for it is that many parents apparently don't teach their children how to a/ hit their mouth with a spoon and/or finish their meals, and b/ chew before they swallow.
The day my boys sultanas got sent back with a note saying 'choking hazard' was very nearly the last straw. It's a good thing my kids aren't picky eaters so I can be creative with their lunches :D

I've even had one father tell me that he thinks that kids should be starting school at 3 (that part of his wish has come true) and we should be toilet training kids and all that other Jazz. I asked him if he wanted the ladies to give birth to his kids too... he didn't get it lol.

You spelled 'sperm donor' wrong ;)
I just make them random lunches, I sent my son to kindy with a garden salad once; grated carrot, cheese, tomatoes and all. Wraps, lots of fruit, cheeses and the occasional wee treat, I just make it so they can't complain. My kids eat practically anything; I could pack olives and feta or blue cheese and crackers and they'd happily munch on it for lunch.
Hmmm... the blue cheese might be an idea one day if I get hassled for perfectly good food again, they've never said anything about cheese...

I've suddenly developed an allergy to prawns :cry:
I've been eating them for the past 30 years and never had a problem with them until 6 months ago, now every time I eat them I have a severe allergic reaction. My whole body gets itchy and my throat swells up and I can't breathe.....
It's not fair. Why can't I be allergic to brussel sprouts or zucchini instead of delicious prawns :cry:

I'm the same but with crabs lol, my palms and throat gets itchy. So i take an antihystamine half an hour before and i'm all good!

I've been eating them for the past 30 years and never had a problem with them until 6 months ago, now every time I eat them I have a severe allergic reaction. My whole body gets itchy and my throat swells up and I can't breathe.....
It's not fair. Why can't I be allergic to brussel sprouts or zucchini instead of delicious prawns :cry:

People are looking to much in to every thing we do today. Carbs, no carbs, low fat , organic.......

The key to losing weight is
Are you ready for it... Stop eating crap and go for a walk once a day.

I lost over 55kg in 9mth not counting Kcal or low fat stuff just like the old days 3 squars aday and water to drink.
If you like bread eat it just eat the whole loaf..

that's what I'm doing, started late November, walked the block for a week, then two blocks, then three, now I'm going about 3km nearly every day (30min semi power walk) and going to the gym nearly every night and going 30 mins there.
chronic fatigue does not help the issues : gah, but, I'm committed, I want to be a bit healthier, because I'm bloody shockingly out of condition :lol: (for me) I'll never be "fit" but I can be better than I am now :D (I hope)
if you burn the energy you consume, it's fine to eat near anything (within reason) so I prefer to work my body haha

on a side note, the male ego is so pathetic, I start getting the smallest of muscles and I'm looking in the mirror at them hahahah *shame shame* tiny little pecks and biceps and what not, and i'm like "phoar look at that!" lmao

You should be looking in the mirror and going "phoar!" Recharge. Chronic Fatigue is total balls; you earned those muscles :)

Same thing has just happened to my daughter......also about 6mnths ago! She is almost 10, has eaten & LOVED prawns since she were a baby, but now......same results, swollen throat, swollen tounge, itchy red rash, & swollen lips that would make Angelina Jolie blush! :lol: It was just another one of those scary moments where mum went into meltdown mode! :oops: She is also allergic to dust, dust mites, cockroaches, feathers, fur, & an unclarified list of colours & preservatives (which makes shopping so much more fun :p) All these allergies in a child who has always eaten everything & anything!

As for weight loss.......my mum lost 50kgs last yr doing that Tony Ferguson diet thing........me, i need to gain some weight, which can be just as hard.......so any tips on that would also be appreciated.......although over christmas, plenty of eating, way too much drinking & YAY, i have put on a kilo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back