Wild Perentie Encounter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady96

Reaction score
I live in Mount Isa QLD and yesterday- being a Sunday, we decided to go to Dajarra which is about 150k North of Mount Isa for a herp trip, we stopped to get out and look around on a few places but saw nothing. Then we got to Dajarra and kept heading north towards Boulia and came across this narrow creek bed full of red sand (red sand is everywhere there) so we pulled over and went for a walk to see if we could find anything, then about after 100m of walking a perentie literally jumped out of this cave thing he had made himself in the wall of the creek and it had hard red sand, branches, twigs and dried up grass. He was hissing at us and not very impressed we had disturbed him from his afternoon sleep but we got some pics anyways. We just stood clear of him on the other side of creek bed wall and he didn't seem to mind then out of blue he just ran away down the creek and into the bushes. It made my day to actually be able to see one of these gorgeous monitors in the wild in real life! ​​

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 415
Snakelady96,You are so lucky to see a wild Perentie Monitor out in its natural habitat thanks for sharing your 2 photos.

Perentie's are my 2nd most favourite Monitor that l would love to keep and breed, but l don't have the space to house 2 males and 2 females here in my home, nor can l keep them on a private licence here in Victoria unless you have a Zoo or Demonstrators licence, and l don't think we will ever be allowed to keep them on a private licence here in Victoria for a very long time, all because of their size and housing requirements and the numbers available in the pet trade.:)

Last edited:
No problem at all, I figured after a bit of research they were the most common monitor to find in the wild so i thought why not share some pics :) Where it was hiding seemed what looked to be a permanent home for the animal so next week we will go back with some food for it to see if would tolerate a few more pics, if not i guess well just search for some something else.

Wow what an awesome experience and a very good looking animal at that!
Thanks for sharing :D

No problem at all, I figured after a bit of research they were the most common monitor to find in the wild so i thought why not share some pics :) Where it was hiding seemed what looked to be a permanent home for the animal so next week we will go back with some food for it to see if would tolerate a few more pics, if not i guess well just search for some something else.

feeding it is probably not a good idea

feeding it is probably not a good idea

l agree 100% that you should not offer any food to any Animals that live out in the wild regardless of what species they are, whether they are Bird's-Mammal's-Reptile's-Fish, they could end up relying on more food from us humans and loose their natural instinks to search for food on their own.

Last edited:
and what happens if they see a child holding a yummy looking bit of food and decide they want it...

Mmm didn't think of that, wont be feeding it in that case, would love to see it or another again though.

They do have attitude dont they? Imagine bumping into a Megalania!

and what happens if they see a child holding a yummy looking bit of food and decide they want it...

Yes I bet heaps of kids travel 150k north of isolated old Mt Isa and stand in creek beds with yummy food items, LMAO

Yeah, I thought it looked like their Perenties :)
Serpenttongue, You are right the 2 adult Perentie Monitor's in my photo are the pair that belong at Wildlife World in Darling Harbour Sydney.
l just added another 3 photos to my previous thread, a 2nd one l took at the wildlife display and 2 from a couple l once saw out in the wild in Alice Springs NT.

Thanks for your replies to my post on this thread much appreciated.

Serpenttongue, You are right the 2 adult Perentie Monitor's in my photo are the pair that belong at Wildlife World in Darling Harbour Sydney.
l just added another 3 photos to my previous thread, a 2nd one l took at the wildlife display and 2 from a couple l once saw out in the wild in Alice Springs NT.

Thanks for your replies to my post on this thread much appreciated.
Alice has some great perenties, but the Pilbara kicks a#@$!!!!!!!

Hot dang those pictures are HOT.

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back