pet shops!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake182

Reaction score
well i was looking throught a pet shop and looking at enclosers and fish tank. the cheapest enclosers there was 18,18,18in = $380 with nothing in it. the cheapest 3ft fish tank was $140 but $250 for tank and stand. so i went to bunnings and asking for help and i told the guy i need to build a encloser for a snake i gave him the size i need of 5mm ply and he come back to me saying $18.50 and i went to the glass shop to get 3mm glass and that was $15.00.

the size is 3ft,18in,18in = $33.50
so pet shop are a rip off
and a win for me
and the tank is for a taresia childreni or a antaresia stimsoni have not made my mind yet

5mm ply wont be very rigid. Nor will it be very heat efficient. I personally wouldn't use glass less than 4mm thick and then only for small panels.

i like melamine as its sealed .... you can seal any joins with silicon and there is an edging strip you can get as well so it looks fully finished

well i was going to do ply for the box and add glass for the front and paint the ply in a no-toxic black water prof paint

Nothing wrong with ply, probably needs to be at least 15mm so that it stays straight and retains heat. No point paying to heat something when it all gets wasted. I put glass sliding doors in mine and used 5mm glass with plastic tracks, just make sure the glass edges are arised.

shops have overheads, wages, theft etc etc etc etc.

if it was not for shops, lots of products and or stock would not be available :)

and yes it is cheaper to build yourself,,,,,

green shed, blue sheds all pretty

shops have overheads, wages, theft etc etc etc etc.

if it was not for shops, lots of products and or stock would not be available :)

and yes it is cheaper to build yourself,,,,,

green shed, blue sheds all pretty

Maybe all the "shops are a ripoff " club should go and work in their local petshop for free to keep them alive as at the rate shops are shutting there soon wont be any left! Where will new entrants to the hobby go then? Maybe the internet to look at pictures instead of the real thing and we'll end up with a pile of dumped cages made from 3mm ply. Who will win-Bunnings?

and a win for me
t

Wont really be a win for you if you build it out of 5mm ply .....

You would be better of using 16mm melamine or at least 15mm ply wood .
Also 3mm glass is very easily broken , I would suggest you get 5mm glass.

Did you take into account the extras you will need to build a cage ?
screws , glue for track , glass track , vents , silicon to seal the joints , sealer as you will need to seal ply wood , heating , thermostat
Your $33.50 will blow out to $200-$300.00 in no time.

Last edited:
Wont really be a win for you if you build it out of 5mm ply .....

You would be better of using 16mm melamine or at least 15mm ply wood .
Also 3mm glass is very easily broken , I would suggest you get 5mm glass.

Did you take into account the extras you will need to build a cage ?
screws , glue for track , glass track , vents , silicon to seal the joints , sealer as you will need to seal ply wood , heating , thermostat
Your $33.50 will blow out to $200-$300.00 in no time.

I agree Dicky!
You may need to ad in another $100 for a sparky, depending on what type of heating is used

The next problem here is if they are going to skimp out on the build what sort of existance is the snake going to have!

As pointed out the materials are far from adequate!
The glass at that thickness is to easily broken.
You would do far better purchasing a pre built enclosure, ready to turn on and pre heat for the snake!

Last edited:
i am lucky enough to get all ma building needs fairly cheap, :shock: i am currently building a large enclosure out of marine ply, then sealing it off :)

and i have the 2 large 8x4x2 pond i am emptying today so i can use those for lizard pits :) cant wiat, its gud fun

well i was looking throught a pet shop and looking at enclosers and fish tank. the cheapest enclosers there was 18,18,18in = $380 with nothing in it. the cheapest 3ft fish tank was $140 but $250 for tank and stand. so i went to bunnings and asking for help and i told the guy i need to build a encloser for a snake i gave him the size i need of 5mm ply and he come back to me saying $18.50 and i went to the glass shop to get 3mm glass and that was $15.00.

and a win for me
and the tank is for a taresia childreni or a antaresia stimsoni have not made my mind yet

so your not gonna hold it together with anything? and the people making the ones in the shops should do it for free..? not to mention the quality difference between theirs and your ply/glass only enclosure..?? good luck mate... hope it works well for ya...... :?

yeah

i got wood suff to hold it together and now im going to put 15mm ply with 7m glass

l would like a $1.00 for everytime some one comes on the internet and whinges about shop prices no one makes you people go there and lets be honest most of you people who do this dont appear to have the experience or know-how how to build a solid enclosure anyway that alone use spell check.
..........solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back