pet shops!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar 17 is right, sure it seems cheaper to make an enclosure yourself but if you factor in all the tools, clamps, screws, glues, sealants, sanding + Materials and most expensive of all Time I’ll be you find your home job is not so cheap after all.

Sure once you have bought a lot of the hardware its yours and you don’t need to replace it for a while so it’s more a capital cost, but I think the main thing with pet shops is your paying for someone else’s time\effort to build the product and you get the luxury of walking in paying x amount of $ and taking it home if it fails\falls apart in the first few weeks you have someone to cry too about getting it fixed etc.

Not everyone has Tools or the know how to use them some don’t have the space or time to build something themselves. I envy those with a nice work shop as I slug It out making what I have work for me lol

will i have srews and glue i just have to get the wood and glass.p.s i have made bird house bird breeding boxes, fish tank stands, some glass fish tanks, some cabints, tv units, computer desk so i have skill to a snake enclosure.

l would like a $1.00 for everytime some one comes on the internet and whinges about shop prices no one makes you people go there and lets be honest most of you people who do this dont appear to have the experience or know-how how to build a solid enclosure anyway that alone use spell check.
..........solar 17 (Baden)
Baden,
I'll put my hand up. I have no idea how to use spell check on here. Please tell!

People are so harsh sometimes. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to save some money and have a go at making something themselves. Granted it likely won't be as good quality wise but the satisfaction that you made something with your own two hands makes up for that in my book.
I also don't really get why everyone talks about counting your time as part of the cost in this sort of thing. When I've made stuff (not just enclosures) in the past I do it in my free time and get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. The alternative would probably be playing video games or watching TV. Does everyone here count up how many hours they spend watching TV or doing something they enjoy and think "Gee how much virtual money am I wasting sitting here"?

People are so harsh sometimes. There's nothing wrong with someone trying to save some money and have a go at making something themselves. Granted it likely won't be as good quality wise but the satisfaction that you made something with your own two hands makes up for that in my book.
I also don't really get why everyone talks about counting your time as part of the cost in this sort of thing. When I've made stuff (not just enclosures) in the past I do it in my free time and get quite a bit of enjoyment out of it. The alternative would probably be playing video games or watching TV. Does everyone here count up how many hours they spend watching TV or doing something they enjoy and think "Gee how much virtual money am I wasting sitting here"?
Have you ever totalled up the cost of going on aps!

I started what I thought was going to be a cheap enclosure, I bought what was already started by a member here really cheap which was basically a blank enclosure with no glass. I have probably gone a bit overboard but since the enclosure meassures 2m wide by 800mm high I have decided to use quality aluminium tracking and 6mm glass which has already bumped my cheap enclosure up to over $450 without heating, lights, vents or back wall. At the end of the day I could of bought something already set up but I think I will be proud of the build quality by time I finish and know that all quality stuff has gone into it.

Best of luck. I think you will need it pet shops are needed buy us all. Unless we want to wait for cheap crap from ebay that does not work with no warranty. If you want to save money stop wasting it on fuel to drive all round town for materials and still have to put it together. Just cos its the same size does not mean its the same quality

l would like a $1.00 for everytime some one comes on the internet and whinges about shop prices no one makes you people go there and lets be honest most of you people who do this dont appear to have the experience or know-how how to build a solid enclosure anyway that alone use spell check.
..........solar 17 (Baden)

i'll be the first to admit all my enclosures are store bought but i've never paid more than $185 for them. End of line stock and clearances is how i roll...they come with fittings and have been used as display enclosures so after a good clean and disinfection i would say my 2 enclosures are cheaper than building my own anyday

Ive justed started on two projects, one a single tall cabinet, the second a bank of 3 x 4 ft wide. I bought 4 wardrobes for $50 ( 2 of whch fell to pieces in a bad way on the way home, got to love Yorke Peninsula roads )and plan on making 2 x banks of 3 4ft wide and a single 3ft wide enclosures all 2m tall, luckily I always have screws, extra timber , paint ect ect laying around ( yes Im not your average female, so Im told lol ) and I will be using lights, vents ect from a display cabinet I recently converted into 4 x 3ft enclosures so I only have to buy tracks, glass and some heavy duty wheels as the 4ft is starting to get pretty heavy and a few minor things. I wouldnt really suggest building your own to a novice though. It may appear cheaper to go it on your own but you have to have the knowledge to back it up as it can go pear shaped rather easily and end up an expensive waste of time. I still have to paint the 4ft, add vents, lights etc to both and then Im waiting on the glass. Then its rock walls, branches etc etc. Oh the cabinet in he bottom of the black one is actually a large hide, not storage. I designed these in my head and put nothing to paper, this is what Ive accomplished in 4 days so far

Attachments

• bank of 3.jpg
    bank of 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 46
  • tall cabinet.jpg
    tall cabinet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 53
well i have a mate that knows a mate so i got 900,450 6mm glass for 30 buck and 18mm ply 1200,1200 for $25 a sheet

hmm i wouldnt like to be catching the crickets i feed to my Dragon... and the guys at my pet shop are super helpful. We built our enclosure - cost about 200 - 300 bucks all up - its 120 x 60 x 60
then the heating was like another 200 ish
still needs a back wall but its occupant seems happy with a plain background lol
we have added quite a bit of stuff since this pic but you get the idea

19.1.12 1.jpg

I bought an exo terra 90 x 45 x 45 second hand ($100) but the lid is warped and wont close. I have emailed 7 shops that sell exo terra tanks in the last month looking for a replacement and NOT ONE HAS BOTHERED TO REPLY.

Given the clip lock arrangement I dont think I could make a replacement to suit. Any ideas?

I even use glass on my tank i used a plastic thats as thick as glass just flexible
it only costs $15 a metre

sorry, i dont even use glass sorry

about that

ok so i got mine from the store i actually looked around the differnet stores in my area that i could go to and as i am limited by where i can go ( small town cant pass the eye test for license so no drive).I wanted to know what store would give me a good deal.
I went to the aquarium store and got a suburra 120 and matching stand, heat lights x 2, dual thermometers, reptile uv tube and reflector all for 350 less than the local pet store and didnt even use that remain 350 up when i got grass from bunnings water dish feed dish branches and plants and vines and thermostat

theres nothing wrong with wanting to get more for your money as long as your not sacrificing the health and saftey of your reptiles and human family.

I for one would love to make my own enclosure but no one in their right mind is gonna let me near any tools power tool or otherwise to do so...
I would love to make an enclosure and say i made this i put my heart and soul into this and be proud of it...some of us are like that and not just looking for a cheap nasty way to get an enclosure

my two cents
Karla

I agree with what you say here.. but do u ever come online and bytch about pet store prices and call them a rip off?? what annoys me is when people take the convenience factor for granted.. personally I think most of the prices I see in pet stores are quite reasonable....

Maybe all the "shops are a ripoff " club should go and work in their local petshop for free to keep them alive as at the rate shops are shutting there soon wont be any left! Where will new entrants to the hobby go then? Maybe the internet to look at pictures instead of the real thing and we'll end up with a pile of dumped cages made from 3mm ply. Who will win-Bunnings?

so true wokka l have had 2 pet shops in the past and looking at opening another 1 somewere in melbourne there is not many left and if you have your prices set at a fair price and have a good range of pet stock i think it will go alright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back