Big black cats ( panther) Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie-Pride

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I was staying at the girlfriends house lastnight out in Bilpin, kurrajong heights ( blue mountins) they have 25 acres with sheep, horses, chooks, and get roo's out in the mornings feeding on the cleared paddocks anyway my girls little brother was taking hay bales down on the quad to give them a feed just on dusk around 8 it was.. He came hooning up to the house on the quad with eyes the size of dinner plates yelling get dad there's a panther down watching the sheep being only 11 and about 4 foot tall he was ******* himself to say the least. So my girls dad drops his beer and went to the gun safe and grabbed his .308 winchester (rifle) and told me to grab the spotty and jump on the quad with him we went straight down to the paddocks where we found all the sheep and horses huddled to together in the corner of the paddock but couldn't see anything, after around half an hour of huddling in the bush with my girls stinky dad's arm pitts we gave up and went back to the house.

Long story short they did a head count of the sheep today and found that one was missing and we couldn't find any signs of it so we have now called a few mates and are going for a hunt a bit later the sarvo and tonight to see if we can find anything. Annd know it won't be shot if not necersery unless it's with a camera.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen these big cats or knows people who have or any storys you may have on these feral cats, panthers..

Here's a clip i found on youtube check it out

Big Cats in Australia - Mystery Black Panthers - YouTube

Last edited:
Yeah the Lithgow/Blue Mountains Panther is pretty well known to people around the area. I think size estimates are generally a little exaggerated (how many snake catchers go out to a six foot Brown that magically shrinks an hour later) but it doesn't seem overly unlikely that there are some monster ferals getting around in the bush

Brindabella panther. both my dad and my uncle swear on there lives they saw one on our property

Feral cats do get large, but maybe not that large. It's definitely a mystery and a mystery I'd love to involve myself in on finding them. In the remote valleys and mountain area's around Glen Lyon dam and Pindari dam in northern NSW, there's said to be a lot of sightings since the 60's. The reason that there is so much belief, is that a circus organisation had 2-3 black panthers escape, or so they say.

Yeah the Lithgow/Blue Mountains Panther is pretty well known to people around the area. I think size estimates are generally a little exaggerated (how many snake catchers go out to a six foot Brown that magically shrinks an hour later) but it doesn't seem overly unlikely that there are some monster ferals getting around in the bush

Not a panther but my mate's old pitty took out a 10-15kg (est.) cat last time we had her with us camping at the Barmah state forest. It was about twice the size of a large domestic tabby. Wasn't black either it was tortoise shell with splotches of white. Biggest "cat" I've ever seen that's for sure.

Last edited:
if there are big as mythical cats out there i think it would be good for them to stay there and stay hidden like they are now..what we cant find we cant cage or kill

I have read all about Australia's Cryptozoology and there have been sightings in the blue mountains definitely of big black cats. The witness thought it was a panther but noticed that it was all black but had black spots just like a jaguar. The book claimed panthers are in fact black jaguars and you cant usually see the black spots but because of the lighting it was in the witness saw the spots and thought it was a different breed. They reckon maybe these cats or cat got loose from possibly circus or something.

Similar story around the small town of guyra on the new England Tablelands. A reliable friend of mine believes she has seen it, just south of there, around dusk. She said "way too big for a cat, about the size of a large dog but defiately moves like a cat". Here to, there has been many rumours and unconfirmed sightings over the years. I tell ya, I always keep my eye out, when traveling the country roads...just incase ;) Maybe a coincidence but there has been issues with missing livestock there too, the community have blamed it on irresponsible pig dog owners.

this subject interests me a lot.. done a fair bit of research and reckon there's gotta be something out there indeed! anyone else seen one?

That is creepy, but definitely not a panther... Alot of people can't tell the difference between a frog and a toad, let alone a feral, well evolved 'cat', over an exotic, big, black panther...

11 years ago we were camping down at Wilsons prom and went out (3 car groups) 4W driving at dusk and one car group, including my sister said they saw a black panther. My sisters description at the time was "like Sooty (our black cat) but huge, bigger then a german shephard".
I think there have been too many sightings for it to be nothing, but then maybe feral cats are getting bigger?
Try and get your hands on a copy of Australian Big Cats: An Unnatural History of Panthers by Williams & Lang. A bit involved but very interesting and puts forward some fairly compelling evidence that there is something big and black hiding in the bush.

the only people that believe in this kind of thing are the people who spend little time in the scary scary bush... or deluded souls like rex gilroy.

bet it was a swamp wallaby

^Definitely not nothing, as you said, but I don't think it's anything already discovered, like a panther...

You might want to read the article I linked to before you get all dismissive, 'jack'- huge cats have been both filmed and caught in australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back