Help with New hatchie Eastern Water Dragon.....PLEASE

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardtb

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi

I have today been given a very very small baby EWD. Its mum ran away and the owner didnt know what to do so i said i would take it.

i set up a tank just for it.

My questions are. Do i need to set up the heat, light and tank any different than with a juvinille EWD? I have put a bottle lid in the tank with water in and put a 10w heat lamp above a small risen platform that im sure it could climb.

I have a repti UVB lamp in the tank in the middle .

What should i feed it and how often?

and any other care info would be great

hope someone can help

cheers

what do u mean it's mum ran away? There mothers don't care for them... heating and lighting... what you should be Feeding... bottle lid for water...

if your needing to ask these questions IMO opinion you shouldn't have them, and that's me being as nice as possible.

I think you need to get your hands on some books and have a read, i recommend you get "keeping and breeding Australian lizards" by Mike swan.

It needs water to submerge in, it needs a basking spot, branches, plants, hides and dry ground. It will eat pinhead (baby) crickets if it is really tiny or small crickets if it is a bit bigger. Where are you located and is it wild. The mothers don't stay with them and if it is wild I suggest you take it back to where it came from. Don't you already have water dragons, care is the same on a smaller scale.

It is not wild it is from someone who had a pair that bred but only one survived.

I know the mother does not care for the baby i just thought i would mention it.

How dare you aussie-pride. I thought these forums where for people to help other people not for dicks like you to suggest i shouldnt have lizards.(and thats IMO)

I am doing someone a favour and you think it fine to criticize.

I am trying my best to save a baby lizard of which i thought i was doing the right thing.

The reason i am using a bottle lid is because that is the size of the baby any thing else and it would drown.

Thank you Kaotikjezta i will use your advice and get a bit more foliage for him.

I do have a larger dragon but the little one just feels a lot more fragile.

leonardtb;2126263How dare you aussie-pride. I thought these forums where for people to help other people not for dicks like you to suggest i shouldnt have lizards.(and thats IMO) .[/QUOTE said:
lol I'm not going to get another infringement for some key board warrior clown. My post stands like or hate it. lol bottle cap lid.

A juvie EWD that could drown in a bottle lid? Either you're 12' tall and drink from giant bottles (In which case I apologise for any offence, Sir) Or somethings wrong..

haha fight fight fight!!!! leonardtb settle down im sure that aussie pride of the 2years on this forum has seen some pretty stoopid ppl with reptiles. and he was just clarifying and gave you a very helpful tip... I think you need to get your hands on some books and have a read, i recommend you get "keeping and breeding Australian lizards" by Mike swan!
key board warrior away

A juvie EWD that could drown in a bottle lid? Either you're 12' tall and drink from giant bottles (In which case I apologise for any offence, Sir) Or somethings wrong..

lol is that pointed at me or him... If it's at me ewd's seem to do fine in the wild living in waterways alot deeper then a bottle cap without the risk of drowning infact I'm sure one of the charteristics of the water dragon is too dive in the water and stay submerged to find cover from preditors lol

Last edited:
Maybe use a shallow plate for water where it can stand up but still be able to have a swim and not drown. Also put some rocks in and around the plate so it can get in and out of it easily. Also ad a heat lamp at one end of the tank for a bit of heat and a basking spot.

ive seen the tiniest of ewds swim across the hawkesbury river when i say across i mean dive when i came near reemerge a few feet away then dive again etc Me thinks they are designed not to drown in a tiny bit of water, as long as they have the means to get out, give him a bigger tub of water with an escape like twigs etc that way he can thermoregulate as being small they can overheat very quickly

lol is that pointed at me or him... If it's at me ewd's seem to do fine in the wild living in waterways alot deeper then a bottle cap without the risk of drowning infact I'm sure one of the charteristics of the water dragon is too dive in the water and stay submerged to find cover from preditors lol

No, I was just saying that if a juvie EWD can fit into a bottle top, it's either a huge bottle or a tiny dragon. Hey, new EWD morph! 100% Het for microscopic-ism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back